US Car Hire

rimfire4969

We are off to Florida again in Feb, just trying to sort car hire for 16 days pick up at Orlando Airport. Prices seem to have gone up a lot in the last few years and all offering extra top up insurance. We want a SUV as you are slightly higher up and my wife feels a bit safer. On our previous visits we never had any extra insurance but all these companies hit you scary what is not covered lists.

Can anyone recommend a car hire company or broker and do I need to pay the extra insurance or is it just another way of charging more?

I use Enterprise in the UK for some of their Weekend Specials

For the insurance, buy a third party damage excess waiver policy - works out about £2 or so a day for short term, or you can get annual cover for about £30 or so?
Found the firms offering this in the MSE website. MUCH cheaper than the car hire firms own daily rates.

I'm over here at the moment, for the last ten years I've used "car3000" although it's changed its name now but if you type that in then go on the top one on Google, I've got a jeep grand Cherokee for 15 days for £376 which I didn't think was that bad, I don't get sat nav or any extra's and I opt to fill up before returning the car as its far cheaper that way.... everything's easy to find over here as its just a grid pattern and everything is well sign posted...

Hope that helps, Tedly... right I'm off to sea world

I'm over here at the moment, for the last ten years I've used "car3000" although it's changed its name now but if you type that in then go on the top one on Google, I've got a jeep grand Cherokee for 15 days for £376 which I didn't think was that bad, I don't get sat nav or any extra's and I opt to fill up before returning the car as its far cheaper that way.... everything's easy to find over here as its just a grid pattern and everything is well sign posted...

Thanks for the info.

We used carhire3000 before, but they are not coming up very competitive, I will have another look.

Enjoy yourselves and go and have a all you can eat Golden Corral breakfast for me, unless you have already had one and the heart attack that quickly follows. Its one thing we always do a couple of times while there.

Hello,

I previously used to use enterprise for my visits over to where my uncle lives in the midwest, however they gave you a great price when you reserved

and when you got to the desk and added in insurance etc a 2 week rental went to $1200 for a midsize/std suv!,

I went to Nevada & Utah back in late june for 3 weeks, this time I went with Alamo for a change and found them very good up front with all the charges

at the time of reservation and you got to choose your car when you arrive,

I can highly recommend them based on my experience $1200 for 3 weeks rental on a standard suv, plus sat nav, full tank of fuel and breakdown cover plus insurance

my work colleague went to florida last year and she was told to pick any mondeo sized car she ended up getting a dodge challenger no upgrade costs :good:

Edited by Mossyoak77

Thanks for the info.

We used carhire3000 before, but they are not coming up very competitive, I will have another look.

Enjoy yourselves and go and have a all you can eat Golden Corral breakfast for me, unless you have already had one and the heart attack that quickly follows. Its one thing we always do a couple of times while there.

Yes done the golden corral thing a few times before then regretted it when I tried to get out of my chair!!! Must eat more!! Keep an eye on the site, check it every few hours if you can, I got a deal two days later it went up to 550..

I'm sure you know this but make sure you -

1. Take out fully comp insurance and pay the damage waiver.

2. Do not let them 'con you' with personal or belonging insurance, you will be covered by holiday insurance, but the dregs that work in car rental USA are on commission for this. Make it clear a number of times you do not need any extra insurance, check the paper work before you sign.

3. Prepay fuel (check the price first) and if you don't and return the car full take a photo of the miles and fuel gauge. I've heard they can change up to $10 a gallon on your card when you've left.

4. Keep documents (and driving licence) in the glove box incase you get pulled over, the take a dim view on them being in a safe in your hotel, even if you are on holiday.

I approach car rental expecting to deal with a convicted fraudster, anything better is a bonus.

If you join one of their clubs, you can untick everything with your booking and you have evidence in your account if they try and charge you.

Edited by markm

2. Do not let them 'con you' with personal or belonging insurance, you will be covered by holiday insurance, but the dregs that work in car rental USA are on commission for this. Make it clear a number of times you do not need any extra insurance, check the paper work before you sign.

3. Prepay fuel (check the price first) and if you don't and return the car full take a photo of the miles and fuel gauge. I've heard they can change up to $10 a gallon on your card when you've left.

4. Keep documents (and driving licence) in the glove box incase you get pulled over, the take a dim view on them being in a safe in your hotel, even if you are on holiday.

I approach car rental expecting to deal with a convicted fraudster, anything better is a bonus.

If you join one of their clubs, you can untick everything with your booking and you have evidence in your account if they try and charge you.

Thanks for that, some good point here. We have been many times to the states so know the score.

Very envious Tedly - sea world was my favourite park when I was over there.

Used USCarHire before without a problem, looking at 2 weeks starting in November they're more expensive than our other usual supplier, NetFlights.

For a standard SUV (Nissan Rogue (X-Trail here) Net Flights are £362, USCarHire want £444 :no:

https://www.netflights.com/car-hire-results.aspx?pickup=Orlando%20Intl%2c%20Florida%20-%20USA%20%5bMCO%5d&pickupdepot=MCO&dropoff=Orlando%20Intl%2c%20Florida%20-%20USA%20%5bMCO%5d&dropoffdepot=MCO&pickupdate=22%20-%2011%20-%202017%2017%3a00&dropoffdate=06%20-%2012%20-%202017%2017%3a00&driverage=61

Edited by phaedra1106

I wouldn't advise taking out the CDW from the car hire company. You probably get it through your credit card or if not it can be purchased elsewhere for a lot less.

I'm regularly in the US and always use Skyscanner for the best prices. Sometimes it's UScarrentals (carhire3000), sometimes it's others - but it changes almost hourly.

Next time I'm there (end September for 7 weeks) the best deal was direct with Alamo paying £50 deposit here and then agreeing to pay the balance in US$ on collection. Anything north of $1.25 to the £ and I'm getting a cheaper deal.

Couple of suggestions -

1. Take the fuel on a full to full basis. This is much cheaper.

2. It is ok to keep your documents in the car but when "pulled over" definitely DO NOT get out of the car (like most brits are used to doing). There is a high probability they could shoot you.

Happy travels!

Edited by Eyefor