Yang-san-su-si Burma

ditchman

Now.............................is she

1. as a hardline Buddist showing her true colours...and allowing this ethnic cleansing
  2. she hasnt the power to stop what is going on...

i have a sneaking suspision that it is # 1.....judging by the press releases she has done in the last few days....virtually deniying that anything of significance is going on............

She needs to speak up. Her problem is that speaking up probably won't get anything done and may lose her any power she has right now. The difficulty lies in the Burma Constitution. 25% of their parliament is reserved for the Military. She's not the head of state (she can't be, again under the constitution) and, whilst she is de facto head of government, she's not the head of her party. I'd imagine there are plenty of people in her party who would happily turn a blind eye to what's going on too. If she speaks up, she risks blowing any progression Burma's made since the 2015 general election. If she doesn't people will continue to die and it only seeks to underline how weak she is.

Still. she needs to speak up, people are dying.

The thing that I can never understand is you get people in lots of countries all over the world living side by side for hundreds of years then one day it seems people suddenly change and turn into mad killers killing people that they know went to school with lived next door to I just do not get it. :no: :no:

There's nothing sudden about it. It's been going on over there for hundreds of years.

Nothing will ever change while people are poisoned by religion.

just watching some of that footage and stories coming out of Burma..................appalling...totally appalling......................yang-san-su-she has issued a statement that she will not be attending the UN summit........proberly worried they would grab her and send her off to the Hague...

The thing that I can never understand is you get people in lots of countries all over the world living side by side for hundreds of years then one day it seems people suddenly change and turn into mad killers killing people that they know went to school with lived next door to I just do not get it. :no: :no:

When there's nowt on the box I have recently taken to watching all the films on Netflix marked 'critics' choice' and the documentaries section.

Last night I watched a documentary on what turns people into genocidal killers and the focus of the documentary was the SS divisions who were tasked with the wholesale murder of Jews, political prisoners, Russians etc. and culminating in women and children.

The obvious question was how do you go from normal person to soldier to murderer of women and children and in such a short space of time.

Broadly, the platoon leaders were all highly educated (beyond degree). One SS division had 8 platoon leaders with PHDs. They were intellectuals, lawyers, doctors etc. They were chosen for their intellect and ability to present and spin the most evil orders into something that was normal and in pursuit of the greater Nazi dream and there was of course the disassociation that the people being killed were human - they were sold as less than human.

More troubling were the local partisans - local militia, police and thugs. The SS were there to use them and manipulate them into doing most of the dirty work. This was the neighbour raping and killing their neighbour scenario. There was no answer but the sense was that if you were a nasty ****** and could do as you wished and all around you of like mind could do as they wished then there's something nasty and deep within some human psyche that doesn't think twice.

Could anyone ever imagine a set of circumstances where they would slaughter their neighbours from children to grandparents? Every conflict shows that no matter what people say or say they think, it's in people.

The SS documentary showed the speed - first collaborators, then alleged spies, then men of a fighting age from the same community, then the women and children. And Germany was an advanced and established society and culture and it didn't take them that long....

Pretty depressing really.

Human nature and the depths of depravity it will sink to are truly terrifying, the only thing that keeps the lid on it is accountability to society via the law, and fear of the punishment for getting caught!

True but if that same society and the 'law' that protects it are the ones responsible for these atrocities or at least instigating them in some way, what then?

We have seen it throughout history, the nazis, kemhur(sp) rouge, Idi Amin, Saddam Hussein, Assad, ad nauseum, to name a very few of the recent history ones.