Brexit - Merged Threads

panoma1

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

I didn't say as a result of immigrants, I said a massively increasing population, with that massive increase being mainly due to immigration.

Out of curiosity which EU Country are you from? 

36 minutes ago, Granett said:

I think some people have a religious quality to their belief in Brexit, and whatever the evidence, they will convince themselves of a Conspiracy! 

First it was the fault of immigrants, now it's remainiacs, it'll always be someone's fault. For some whatever happens, it will always be someone else's fault. 

On the settlement bill, I'm bitterly disappointed at the financial self-harm we were manipulated into before bringing on ourselves for the sake of a few disaster capitalists and a few Conservative party careers. 

I refer you to my previous statement about 'immigrants' which wasn't in the context that you quoted it. But why break the habbit of miss quoting!

It's so obvious that you will only hear what you want to.

My only advise that I can give to you, is to suck it up and get on board with what the public of this group of countries voted for, you had your chance in the voting booth like every other UK citizen (if indeed you are one), your side lost, so let's get on with it. There's no point in arguing amongst ourselves, we need to show a united front.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I refer you to my previous statement about 'immigrants' which wasn't in the context that you quoted it. But why break the habbit of miss quoting!

It's so obvious that you will only hear what you want to.

My only advise that I can give to you, is to suck it up and get on board with what the public of this group of countries voted for, you had your chance in the voting booth like every other UK citizen (if indeed you are one), your side lost, so let's get on with it. There's no point in arguing amongst ourselves, we need to show a united front.

You said," but mainly due to inflation caused by a massively increasing population (mainly immigrants)" 

Why don't you talk me through how I misrepresented that? 

And I asked you for where you read about that explanation for inflation too. Any chance of that source?

On the old "Got to get behind it" front, didn't the Express tell its readership Farage deserved a knighthood for decades of undermining UK success? 

Edited by Granett

Just now, Granett said:

You said," but mainly due to inflation caused by a massively increasing population (mainly immigrants)" 

Why don't you talk me through how I misrepresented that? 

And I asked you for where you read that too. Any chance of that source?

On the old "Got to get behind it" front, didn't the Express tell its readership Farage deserved a knighthood for decades of undermining UK success? 

Caused by a massively increasing population, which no one can deny is largely down to mass immigration!

Here's a link to causes of inflation one of them being an explosive increase in population

http://mba-lectures.com/economics/macro-economics/573/causes-of-inflation.html

So are you a UK citizen and if you are why would you not want Brexit to be a success? (I understand you didn't want it but that is irrelevant the majority did)

2 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Caused by a massively increasing population, which no one can deny is largely down to mass immigration!

Here's a link to causes of inflation one of them being an explosive increase in population

http://mba-lectures.com/economics/macro-economics/573/causes-of-inflation.html

So are you a UK citizen and if you are why would you not want Brexit to be a success? (I understand you didn't want it but that is irrelevant the majority did)

So the increase in Uk food prices of 18% from 2016 to 2017, you feel is largely down to population growth which in turn is largely down to immigration. Have you got any graphs or stats for that, or are you going on a hunch? 

That would imply immigration was massively higher in the last year than in previous years. Are you confident about that statement? 

13 minutes ago, Granett said:

So the increase in Uk food prices of 18% from 2016 to 2017, you feel is largely down to population growth which in turn is largely down to immigration. Have you got any graphs or stats for that, or are you going on a hunch? 

That would imply immigration was massively higher in the last year than in previous years. Are you confident about that statement? 

So the findings of one narrow survey into the cost of Christmas Dinner ; that may or may not be politically biased, has now become an increase in UK food prices generally?:lol:

19 minutes ago, Granett said:

Yes the uncertainty surrounding Brexit is probably a factor, just like a massive increase in population, the fact that our central bank has kept the interest rate low (indicating a weak currency) and many other factors have all played a part.

Unlike the article you posted which states the cause is  a weak Pound as a direct result of Brexit!

And you still didn't answer my question - So are you a UK citizen and if you are why would you not want Brexit to be a success? (I understand you didn't want it, but that is irrelevant the majority did).

Edited by Newbie to this

Lol. The speed at which this goes to insults is telling. Also the speed at which it goes to Nationalism. It's not great for dispelling the assumptions people make about Brexiteers. 

Whether I'm a British citizen is not relevant. I'll tell you something though - I'm not one of those Russian bits duping people with fake news. That was only on the Leave side - as weakening British foreign power helps Russia. Leaving it with one of the strongest voices and positions in Europe works against Russian interests.

I note Newbie's now back-tracked and is no longer so utterly certain the cause of inflation is no longer mainly due to population growth. 

When you demand everyone make a success of Brexit I wonder why didn't Farage make a UK success of the last 30 years? Pethaps turn up to some of the EU meetings you voted for him to, and for which he continues to collect a tidy sum? Part of that 50-100bn is for his EU pension, isn't it? Or does his lucrative demagogic shock-jock career mean he's offered to waive that?

Besides that, how is posting some of the news that Brexit is the shambles that was predicted in anyway unpatriotic? You are essentially arguing that it is unpatriotic to view another UK citizen as having made a poor decision. Has none of you ever done that? You must be very generous spirited if you've never done so. It rides contrary to the gist of a lot of stuff posted here too. 

I didn't cause the bad news, just posted it here. The overwhelming majority of evidence (outside the Express and the press releases of the Leave campaign) points towards the vote for Brexit being the cause. Is it more unpatriotic to cause the harm to the UK or to highlight that harm?

Edit:Just to say - I see we can add Good Housekeeping to the list of actors in the PW globalist anti-brexit Conspiracy! 

Edited by Granett

1 hour ago, Granett said:

I note Newbie's now back-tracked and is no longer so utterly certain the cause of inflation is no longer mainly due to population growth

No I mearly pointed out that population growth is one of the reasons, unlike the article you posted which stated Brexit as the reason. 

My comment may well have been exaggerated, but no more exaggerated than the claim made in the article, which is trying to portray it as fact.

And you still havent answered the question

Are you a UK citizen and if so why wouldn't you want Brexit to be a success? Regardless of whether you wanted it that's irrelevant the majority did!

Or are you against Democracy as well as Brexit?

And with regards to my question about UK citizenship mattering, it matters massively because if your not then what you think is even more irrelevant than if you are and voted to remain! 

Edited by Newbie to this

2 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

No I mearly pointed out that population growth is one of the reasons, unlike the article you posted which stated Brexit as the reason. 

My comment may well have been exaggerated, but no more exaggerated than the claim made in the article, which is trying to portray it as fact.

And you still havent answered the question

Are you a UK citizen and if so why wouldn't you want Brexit to be a success? Regardless of whether you wanted it that's irrelevant the majority did!

Or are you against Democracy as well as Brexit?

And with regards to my question about UK citizenship mattering, it matters massively because if your not then what you think is even more irrelevant than if you are and voted to remain! 

So you concede now that your comment was exaggerated. Fine, we're agreed.

Now, where in the article I posted is any phrase you claim is similarly exaggerated? Just cut-and-paste, so it's clear.

I'm loathe to pander to your nationalist train of thought, and so I'll not answer about my citizenship. Suffice to say that I'm heavily invested in UK success.

I want the country to be successful. Pointing out that Brexit is shaping up to be the most unsuccessful decision we have taken as a nation is not unpatriotic. If we don't learn from our mistakes our nation is at risk of further calamitous decision making. You still haven't answered about Farage undermining UK success for decades.

I'm not against democracy at all. I am against hypocrisy though. And I'm fascinated to see how the democracy at work in our parliament is being dogged by those same actors who used a misrepresentation of the concept of "sovereignty" as a dog-whistle to win the ref.

13 hours ago, JRDS said:

May is an EU Traitor who needs to go now, they owe us *** due to our huge nett contribution over the years and share of assets.  The whole negotoations have been a poorly orchestrated patronising farce from day 1 her being a Remainer Plant, what's next carry of with Free Movement and under the rule of the ECJ.  So we are paying them £52 Billion for them to run a huge trade deficit with us only an EU Plant would pay anything, they should be paying us for access to our lucrative market.  A modern day Guy Fawkes needed more than ever.  She has obviously bought off the Brexiteers with something personally lucrative their silence is deafening.  Parliament has proven itself in this total debacle wholly unable to represent the wishes of the people unfortunate enough to elect them with no real choice between the main parties, all are full of lying treachorous back stabbing scum.

Fascinating to see the revisionism at play - before the Ref the Express and, duly, its readership, were insistent that decision-making must be wrest from the corrupt EU and put in the hands of our noble and sovereign HM Govt. Now it's the UK Govt that is corrupt. There's always some Conspiracy! at work.

In terms of news, there was an interesting exchange in Parliament yesterday:-

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2017-11-28/debates/B20F0C80-8AA5-4CB5-840D-25CB3E16B658/PointsOfOrder

On whether the obligation of Govt was to produce the impact assessments, the Speaker of the House had this to say:-

"I did not say that it was my advice that the motion was binding or effective; as Speaker, I ruled that it was binding or effective. That, I can say to the hon. Member for Glenrothes, irrespective of other motions, remains the fact."

It's looking like the fact Brexit is a shambles to work on isn't going to mean the rules of our democratic and sovereign parliament are going to be ridden over roughshod.

11 hours ago, Granett said:

Lets talk about those food prices shall we ?
As you are probably aware the value of the £ has had the biggest effect on this, that and possibly supermarkets using it as an opportunity to boost their profits, after a slump of the last few years.
I shop in a wide range of supermarkets, and with Tesco having the largest increases (IMHO) the German stores seem little affected.
That aside, using Good Housekeeping as a guide to what Christmas dinner is going to cost in nearly a months time is cherry picking at its finest.
At worst, its just another negative Brexit point, based on a projection.
When it happens, if it happens, then come back on here and say 'Holy Guacamole ,my Christmas dinner cost me an extra fiver this year, we had to buy the cheap crackers !'

But then, if you are opposed to something, your natural instinct is to not have anything positive to say about it.
The difference is this, is it YOUR opinion, or an opinion you have seen or heard from elsewhere ?
When you have absorbed the other side of the argument, and used your intelligence to weigh up the arguments, then you can reach your OWN opinion on the subject.
Taking soundbites from one side of the debate is NOT your opinion.

However, when you have nothing but contempt for the people who are voicing one side of the argument, then automatically, you are not going to want to absorb their point of view.
Sometimes this is justified, other times its just childish pedantic behaviour.
If you cannot have a reasonable debate on a level with people, then dont bother.

5 minutes ago, Granett said:

I'm loathe to pander to your nationalist train of thought, and so I'll not answer about my citizenship. Suffice to say that I'm heavily invested in UK success.

You see, you speak of being nationalistic as being a bad thing, and the contempt is evident, care to explain your reasoning behind that ?
Im sure you are are a British citizen, and you would be rather stupid if you were not invested in the success of the UK.
But the apparent glee you exhibit when a stumbling block, or negative part of Brexit presents itself, does lend itself to make one wonder.

The sooner pro Euro people get their head round the fact that its happening, and accept that Britain will be outside the customs union, single market and free movement idea, the sooner we can move on and be united.
If you think its going to be terrible, then in your mind it will be, whether it is or not !
If, as is looking likely, we end up paying for 'free' access to European markets, then seriously, what are we missing ?
We get a slightly tighter border, is that a bad thing ?
We are allowed to 'vet' people who want to come in, is that bad ? Most of the world outside Europe does, no one cries about them .

What exactly will you miss ?

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

So your still hearing what you want to hear and refusing to answer a simple question. So I'll ask one more and leave it at that, Did you actually vote in the referendum?

Re posted as I forgot to quote Granett

I wouldn't worry about it newbie, he's very good at twisting anything said to his agenda and asking questions without answering anyone else's which keeps you on the back foot, to his credit, I think he'd make a damn good barrister, hence my earlier comment.

28 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Brussels really getting mardy now. Barnier saying the British Police will no longer have access to Interpol and will not be included in plans for the defence of the rest of Europe.

The more I read about this load of wasters in Brussels the more I realise my vote to leave was the right one.

Just like Nigel Farage said, they operate like the mafia.

The EU isn't a club it's an outfit.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Lets talk about those food prices shall we ?
As you are probably aware the value of the £ has had the biggest effect on this, that and possibly supermarkets using it as an opportunity to boost their profits, after a slump of the last few years.
I shop in a wide range of supermarkets, and with Tesco having the largest increases (IMHO) the German stores seem little affected.
That aside, using Good Housekeeping as a guide to what Christmas dinner is going to cost in nearly a months time is cherry picking at its finest.
At worst, its just another negative Brexit point, based on a projection.

As I say, we need to add Good House Keeping to the PW Anti-Brexit Conspiracy!

You talk about the slump in the pound like it has nothing to do with Brexit. Where have you read that? Which experts can you show agree with you on that?

The reason that GHK assessment is news is because it expressly doesn't have an agenda - it's an annual study they do each year, and this year it suggests food prices have gone up 18%. That is undeniably massive.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

But then, if you are opposed to something, your natural instinct is to not have anything positive to say about it.

You're welcome to post something positive to have come out of Brexit so far. 

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

The difference is this, is it YOUR opinion, or an opinion you have seen or heard from elsewhere ?
When you have absorbed the other side of the argument, and used your intelligence to weigh up the arguments, then you can reach your OWN opinion on the subject.
Taking soundbites from one side of the debate is NOT your opinion.

It's unclear what point you're trying to make here. I post stuff from around the internet. All that comes back is articles in the Express or "facts" posted by the Leave campaign. Were the tables reversed, there'd be an outcry about bias. There's little on show to suggest that what's being given as the contrary opinion is anything other that unthinkingly regurgitated Daily Express editorial.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

However, when you have nothing but contempt for the people who are voicing one side of the argument, then automatically, you are not going to want to absorb their point of view.
Sometimes this is justified, other times its just childish pedantic behaviour.
If you cannot have a reasonable debate on a level with people, then dont bother.

I've demonstrated that I'll debate with people "on a level", but when that just starts going round in circles, even after I've explained something a number of times, it's surely better for everyone, to just move on.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

You see, you speak of being nationalistic as being a bad thing, and the contempt is evident, care to explain your reasoning behind that ?
Im sure you are are a British citizen, and you would be rather stupid if you were not invested in the success of the UK.
But the apparent glee you exhibit when a stumbling block, or negative part of Brexit presents itself, does lend itself to make one wonder.

Let me nip that attempt to twist the debate in the bud. As you are well aware the matter in discussion here is the insistence that I tell everyone my nationality with the inference being that I can't be British if I disagree with Brexit. Don't try and re-frame that.

What you perceive as glee is just an indication of how important I feel it is that in places where everyone was very quick to dismiss what were fairly universal warnings about the folly of a particular choice of action, that the information is supplied so there is the opportunity to learn, and not make similar mistakes in the future.

That, and I'm genuinely interested in seeing how the reality of the situation is twisted, and the blame deflected.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

The sooner pro Euro people get their head round the fact that its happening, and accept that Britain will be outside the customs union, single market and free movement idea, the sooner we can move on and be united.
If you think its going to be terrible, then in your mind it will be, whether it is or not !
If, as is looking likely, we end up paying for 'free' access to European markets, then seriously, what are we missing ?
We are allowed to 'vet' people who want to come in, is that bad ? Most of the world outside Europe does, no one cries about them .

What will I miss? £100Bn. Not having to prop up those parts of the country that voted for Brexit despite getting a massive share of the net gain we received from EU membership - you know: those areas now clamouring for dispensation from the Brexit they voted for. I'll miss the standing the UK had in the world. The reputation it had as a big-minded international player. 

In terms of these accusations of twisting or misquoting...

About the 18% increase in food prices since last year, you said:-

21 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Maybe a slight increase due to a weak pound, but mainly due to inflation caused by a massively increasing population (mainly immigrants)

Subsequently you said:

7 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Explain how it is a misrepresentation for me to say:

8 hours ago, Granett said:

I note Newbie's now back-tracked and is no longer so utterly certain the cause of inflation is no longer mainly due to population growth. 

And:

4 hours ago, Granett said:

So you concede now that your comment was exaggerated. Fine, we're agreed.

(And, yes, I voted)

Edited by Granett

43 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Just like Nigel Farage said, they operate like the mafia.

The EU isn't a club it's an outfit.

It really isn't, and it really doesn't.

Can anyone point at which part they feel is corrupt?

Barnier was appointed by the European Commission, which you can learn from Wikipedia "operates as a cabinet government, with 28 members of the Commission (informally known as "commissioners"). There is one member per member state, but members are bound by their oath of office to represent the general interest of the EU as a whole rather than their home state. One of the 28 is the Commission President (currently Jean-Claude Juncker) proposed by the European Council and elected by the European Parliament. The Council of the European Union then nominates the other 27 members of the Commission in agreement with the nominated President, and the 28 members as a single body are then subject to a vote of approval by the European Parliament. The current Commission is the Juncker Commission, which took office in late 2014."

Brexiteers are often criticised for being like toddlers and able to knock something down but incapable of building anything. I'd be intrigued to know if any PW member can suggest a more transparent and democratic setup.

The UK has a far more democratic set up, it's still a long way from anything that resembles perfection, but it's a mile better than the EU.

The thing is, why do you and other remaindrs think we need the EU to do well? we practically ruled the world without them for many years (and no I'm not saying we should look back to that as a model either, that would be idiotic) many other countries do far more trade than us without the EU, remainers including yourself have said about having regrett we're no longer an outward looking nation ect, or words to that effect, the EU is something like 35% of the world's trade (might be less than that), so that leaves 65% that we're missing out on, if we leave we can trade with the rest of the world and the EU if they weren't so inward looking and protectionist which is what alot of remainers accuss leavers of being, be a bit positive and have some faith in this great nation like us Brexiters and remainers may be pleasantly surprised!

11 minutes ago, Granett said:

As I say, we need to add Good House Keeping to the PW Anti-Brexit Conspiracy!
I never said that GHK was part of a conspiracy.

You talk about the slump in the pound like it has nothing to do with Brexit. Where have you read that? Which experts can you show agree with you on that?
Never said that either, the knock effect of Brexit was a confidence killer, hopefully once we are properly on course, it will recover more.

The reason that GHK assessment is news is because it expressly doesn't have an agenda - it's an annual study they do each year, and this year it suggests food prices have gone up 18%. That is undeniably massive.
It 'suggests' you have pretty much stated it as a fact, an undeniably massive fact at that !

You're welcome to post something positive to have come out of Brexit so far. 
Ill give you 17.4 million reasons if you like, I feel better about the future, I didnt want to be part of a dictatorial superstate, and the majority didnt either, they can have their divorce money if they must , and they can shove it where the sun dont shine.

It's unclear what point you're trying to make here. I post stuff from around the internet. All that comes back is articles in the Express or "facts" posted by the Leave campaign. Were the tables reversed, there'd be an outcry about bias. There's little on show to suggest that what's being given as the contrary opinion is anything other that unthinkingly regurgitated Daily Express editorial.

You just quote bits out of papers, whats YOUR real interest?
Whats your answers to the issues around Brexit, call it off ?
You can moan about it all you like, you will not change one single persons mind on here, so why do you persist ?
You are verging on trolling.

I've demonstrated that I'll debate with people "on a level", but when that just starts going round in circles, even after I've explained something a number of times, it's surely better for everyone, to just move on.

Again the veiled insult we cant grasp your 'higher level' argument.
There are plenty of people on here far more clever than you Granett, you are not a teacher in a class of primary school kids.
You do NOT have the moral high ground either, get that thought right out your head.

Let me nip that attempt to twist the debate in the bud. As you are well aware the matter in discussion here is the insistence that I tell everyone my nationality with the inference being that I can't be British if I disagree with Brexit. Don't try and re-frame that.
And definitely no one said that!
Is it a bad thing to be nationalistic, or does it equate in your mind to be a fascist  ?

What you perceive as glee is just an indication of how important I feel it is that in places where everyone was very quick to dismiss what were fairly universal warnings about the folly of a particular choice of action, that the information is supplied so there is the opportunity to learn, and not make similar mistakes in the future.

Noted, but I can only speak for myself, I would do it all again.

That, and I'm genuinely interested in seeing how the reality of the situation is twisted, and the blame deflected.
Somewhat naive , thats politics !

What will I miss? £100Bn. Not having to prop up those parts of the country that voted for Brexit despite getting a massive share of the net gain we received from EU membership - you know: those areas now clamouring for dispensation from the Brexit they voted for. I'll miss the standing the UK had in the world. The reputation it had as a big-minded international player. 

Its not over till the fat lady sings, as they say..

33 minutes ago, Granett said:

It really isn't, and it really doesn't.

Can anyone point at which part they feel is corrupt?

Please !

Brexiteers are often criticised for being like toddlers and able to knock something down but incapable of building anything. I'd be intrigued to know if any PW member can suggest a more transparent and democratic setup.

And there we go again, with the jibe were all thick :lol:

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

I can only speak for myself, I would do it all again.

Out of interest, is there any evidence or event that you can envisage that might serve to make you admit you were wrong? 

And please don't misrepresent me. I've not insulted anyone's intelligence (in fact, ironically, I'm the only one to have been the target of insults here). I've said that a number of flaws left unaddressed in the Brexiteer argument might lend themselves to that accusation from others. The offer was there to address those flaws and nothing's been forthcoming. People can make of that what they will. 

Meanwhile the consistent theme continues unabated... 

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/this-ex-pat-hates-the-eu-but-lives-in-france/

This Ex-Pat Dislikes The EU And Wants To Leave, Despite Living In France

A Brexiteer living in France doesn't like the UK because there are too many people like him. 

Edited by Granett

2 hours ago, Granett said:

As you are well aware the matter in discussion here is the insistence that I tell everyone my nationality with the inference being that I can't be British if I disagree with Brexit.

It's got nothing to do with you not being British if you disagree with Brexit, but as to whether any of your opinions a relevant or not. EG. people who voted to leave most relevant, people who voted remain barley relevant, people who aren't a UK citizen completely irrelevant.

8 minutes ago, Granett said:

(in fact, ironically, I'm the only one to have been the target of insults here).

I hope you aren't including me in this, I don't feel I have insulted you in anyway.

2 hours ago, Granett said:

And, yes, I voted

So now we have assertained you are either a UK citizen or an EIRE citizen

And as for my comment about a massively increasing population being the problem with inflation, I've alredy explained that it was an exaggerated responce to an article making a similar exaggerated claim that Brexit was responsible. Again something that you fail to acknowledge, and only point out that, my comment was exaggerated, not the article. 

Many things contribute to inflation, not just one thing. As I have previously explained!

7 hours ago, Rewulf said:

You can't be serious?