1994 by-election Eastleigh   UKIP 952 1.7 Not elected
1997 general election Salisbury   UKIP 3,332 5.7 Not elected
2001 general election Bexhill and Battle   UKIP 3,474 7.8 Not elected
2005 general election South Thanet   UKIP 2,079 5.0 Not elected
2006 by-election Bromley and Chislehurst   UKIP 2,347 8.1 Not elected
2010 general election Buckingham   UKIP 8,410 17.4 Not elected
2015 general election South Thanet   UKIP 16,026 32.4

Not elected

Ill be honest , I only really heard of Farage about 5 years ago, and 32% isnt to be sneered at.

Love him or loathe him, he is a very good orator, and is true to his principals, because I will guarantee you this, if he wasnt, you would definitely hear about it !

He is instrumental in achieving Brexit, and will have his place in history, with or without a parliamentary seat.

Riddle me this, who keeps voting for him to be an MEP for the last 20 odd years, along with all the other anti EU MEPs ??

Some good Brexit news, and its even in the indy !

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-manufacturing-latest-update-november-best-month-2013-city-london-purchasing-managers-index-a8086306.html

Also interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/01/ireland-will-have-final-say-on-progress-of-brexit-talks-says-eu

Thats a strange stance from Brussels IMHO.
So if Eire arent happy with the border deal by next week, no trade talks.
Im not going to go over old ground with this, but in the words of Admiral Akbar 'Its a trap !'
Either way ,they are making Eire the scapegoat for the talks collapsing, or making the British the scapegoat for not coming up with a satisfactory deal in time.
Ive said for a while that the EU needs the talks to collapse, it simply cant give us a favourable deal, at any price.
The fact that Eire is struggling to keep a government, means that certain parties are totally expendable, if it all goes wrong.

The best course of action for us and Ireland, is to come to a swift soft border deal.
I reckon this will infuriate Brussels, who will then reject or veto it as against their constitution.
Its G.O.T. intrigue :lol:

Image result for game of europe

Edited by Rewulf

On 12/2/2017 at 21:40, JRDS said:

Well they have one person to blame, Merkel is clinically insane and was a large factor in the Brexit vote.

That dead pan face, does she have another expression ?

Interesting piece in the guardian this morning, 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/04/ireland-no-go-ahead-for-brexit-talks-to-move-on

Who have decided preemptively that ' Not enough progress has been made'
Its getting boringly predictable now.

Unfortunately I think a "solution" will be found at the 11th hour, I think we're being sold down the river, the EU and UK are probably in cohorts and the "negotiations" already set.

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

That dead pan face, does she have another expression ?

Interesting piece in the guardian this morning, 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/04/ireland-no-go-ahead-for-brexit-talks-to-move-on

Who have decided preemptively that ' Not enough progress has been made'
Its getting boringly predictable now.

You posted just as I did, yes very predictable, a good show for the public, certainly more convincing than Cameron's "negotiations" with the EU anyway.

2 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Unfortunately I think a "solution" will be found at the 11th hour, I think we're being sold down the river, the EU and UK are probably in cohorts and the "negotiations" already set.

You posted just as I did, yes very predictable, a good show for the public, certainly more convincing than Cameron's "negotiations" with the EU anyway.

Yes you just pipped me :good:

Im not so sure about the cohoots thing.

I believe a clean (maybe expensive) extraction of the UK  from the EU would be incredibly damaging for them.
The dream of a federal European superstate, doesnt really work with a power like us on the doorstep, and yes we are a power.
They cant give us a free trade deal without damage to their economies, we could become a Singapore style tax haven or conduit for cheaper goods from outside the EU.

Plus once we are free, others have a ready made ally once they leave, Greece and Italy arent far off, and Poland ,Hungary ect, have serious issues with them.
We could promise trade and employment deals once they leave ?

I believe they are trying to make such a mess of negotiations, be as difficult as possible, then blame it on the 'intransigence of the English', notice I say English, because they have, and they will continue to try and break us up.
They will try and make us the lepers of Europe, so no one wants to deal with us, and we fail, possibly to come back to them ,cap in hand at some point.

Interestingly, I truly believe the UK negotiating team ,and I include Ms May, know all this and more, and are going through the motions, to limit  the damage to reputation that might come with hard Brexit.
The EU, being on its superiority complex mindset, thinks its plan is foolproof, and no one knows what its doing !

Hard Brexit is coming, we just need to dance a bit longer.

Ireland and UK agree Brexit border deal

Britain is heading for a breakthrough on Brexit talks after reaching a compromise with Ireland on the border between the Republic and Northern Ireland, the issue that threatened to derail the negotiations.

The draft refers to maintaining “regulatory alignment” between Northern Ireland and the Republic after Brexit — a form of words that, according to a senior official involved in the talks, appears to meet Dublin’s deep concerns about a possible hard border on the island and has not raised objections in London. The dealmaking came just minutes before Theresa May, the UK prime minister, prepared to enter a crucial lunch with Jean-Claude Juncker, the European Commission president, where Ireland remains the main obstacle to a deal on Brexit divorce terms.

The news also helped lift the pound , which had been trading lower in Monday’s Asian and early European sessions, partly because of Brexit doubts. But the reported breakthrough pushed sterling 0.7per cent higher, to $1.3524, sending it into positive territory for the day.

14 minutes ago, sandspider said:

Britain is heading for a breakthrough on Brexit talks after reaching a compromise with Ireland on the border between the Republic and Northern Ireland, the issue that threatened to derail the negotiations.

The draft refers to maintaining “regulatory alignment” between Northern Ireland and the Republic after Brexit — a form of words that, according to a senior official involved in the talks, appears to meet Dublin’s deep concerns about a possible hard border on the island and has not raised objections in London. The dealmaking came just minutes before Theresa May, the UK prime minister, prepared to enter a crucial lunch with Jean-Claude Juncker, the European Commission president, where Ireland remains the main obstacle to a deal on Brexit divorce terms.

The news also helped lift the pound , which had been trading lower in Monday’s Asian and early European sessions, partly because of Brexit doubts. But the reported breakthrough pushed sterling 0.7per cent higher, to $1.3524, sending it into positive territory for the day.

Thats hilarious :lol:
So we keep it the same as before? What was so difficult about that ?
Plenty of time for Brussels to put the kibosh on it yet though.

The dup are complaining that they don't want the North of Ireland to be treated any differently from any other part of the uk, whether constitutionally or financially. Yet they are happy to receive additional financial handouts from the government when other parts of the uk aren't getting them? Strike 1 for hypocrisy. The dup are also the only reason as to why we don't have a devolved government over here. They don't wish to follow the rest of the united kingdoms stance on equality. They'd rather their gay constituents didn't have any human rights at all. What happened to not wanting to be any different than any other uk region? Strike 2 for hypocrisy. Just the tip of the iceberg.

On 29/11/2017 at 20:23, JRDS said:

Granett Nett Migration of 200 > 300 thousand a year is wholly unsupportable in a country of our size and debt with all the financial and social burden most of that brings, hence partially why we voted Brexit.  Before you say the Govt had control of none EU Immigration yes we all know that but we are totally exasperated by consecutive Governments pathetic attempts to curb all Immigration.  We were being totally mugged by the EU as has been proven by their 'negotiations'.  It was never about economics or the price of a Turkey bloody Dinner it was about not being sucked into an EU Superstate and not being a dumping ground for all Europes dross and all the while paying through the nose for the privelige.  We are full, end off.  We don't need more housing we need less people.

Very well said sir :good:

On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 17:53, Rewulf said:

Ill be honest , I only really heard of Farage about 5 years ago, and 32% isnt to be sneered at.

Love him or loathe him, he is a very good orator, and is true to his principals, because I will guarantee you this, if he wasnt, you would definitely hear about it !

He is instrumental in achieving Brexit, and will have his place in history, with or without a parliamentary seat.

Riddle me this, who keeps voting for him to be an MEP for the last 20 odd years, along with all the other anti EU MEPs ??

That would be 16% of the  35.6% of the electorate that could be bothered to turn out to vote at the last European Parliament Elections. Which is bit of a surprise to be honest, I thought that there would be more than 4.4 million senile xenophobes living in this country at the moment. 

5 hours ago, Cannon said:

The dup are complaining that they don't want the North of Ireland to be treated any differently from any other part of the uk, whether constitutionally or financially. Yet they are happy to receive additional financial handouts from the government when other parts of the uk aren't getting them? Strike 1 for hypocrisy. The dup are also the only reason as to why we don't have a devolved government over here. They don't wish to follow the rest of the united kingdoms stance on equality. They'd rather their gay constituents didn't have any human rights at all. What happened to not wanting to be any different than any other uk region? Strike 2 for hypocrisy. Just the tip of the iceberg.

So you did not want them to negotiate extra money for the health service etc in  N/I, the devolved governments lobby the UK government all the time for extra money that does not make them any less a part of the UK.  As for your view on why we don't  have a devolved government plenty here would have a different view on who is to blame fact, and not something i am going to debate.   The DUP are right not to give in to bullying from the Irish government the EU or the conservative  and unionist  government if it comes to it, they will not support a border in the Irish sea, like it or not.  Another reason it wont happen it because it would spread, the London Mayor and Scottish government are now saying they want special status if N/I get it. 

Scottish First Minister comments on latest negotiation

While I welcome the proposed commitment for Ireland and Northern Ireland – and while the particular circumstances in Scotland are distinct and separate from those in Ireland – today’s developments show very clearly that if one part of UK can retain regulatory alignment with the EU and effectively stay in the single market, there is no good practical reason why others cannot do the same.

Indeed, any special status for Northern Ireland would make a similar solution for Scotland even more vital. For Scotland to find itself outside the single market, while Northern Ireland effectively stays in would place us at a double disadvantage when it comes to jobs and investmen

t

Edited by ordnance

8 hours ago, sandspider said:

The UK and EU have failed to reach an agreement to move to the next stage of Brexit talks, Theresa May has said.

The prime minister said talks would reconvene "before the end of the week" and she was "confident we will conclude this positively".

The talks are understood to have broken down after the DUP refused to accept concessions on the Irish border issue.

Downing Street said that was not the only outstanding problem.

Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar said a deal had been done but the UK appeared to change its mind over the Irish border question after pressure from the DUP.

21 minutes ago, millrace said:

Sorry but im a british and uk citizen....not irish/eu ....and refuse to be treated any differently than any other UK citizen.......

Im not a dup fan but......finally someone has the cahones to tell the eu to do 1.....ms may could learn a lot!!!!!

+ 1

24 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

With regards the Irish/N Ireland issue, I hope a peaceul solution is found.

Shame on the EU for politicizing such an emotive subject for their own selfish agenda.

The irony is if there is no deal, it will be the EU that will demand border checks and that the Irish government set up a hard border with customs checks. 

Edited by ordnance

47 minutes ago, ordnance said:

+ 1

Suggests she replaces the traitor May in leading the talks or better still leading us out, we voted for Brexit not endless negotiations that actually aren't and that we don't need they are simply a Remoaner ploy.  Leave on WTO like we do with the rest of the world with systems that are already in place, sorted no need for the endless humiliation she iflicts upon us.

Edited by JRDS

Well the UK doesn't want a hard border, so need not have one, pay for it, nor police it, if the EU want any sort of border they can pay for it and get the Irish Government to police it! If the EU don't want a border between the North and South, then they can always agree a tariff free trade deal with the whole UK.......job done.

Whilst the movement of IR passport holders into NI (and vice versa into the South by UK NI passport holders!) can be free, the issue of immigration/travel of non Irish Republic passport holders into Northern Ireland via the republic, as from elsewhere, should be down to the devolved UK NI government in Stormont to deal with, or not, as they choose.........all non UK passport holders should be subject to control, and only be allowed to enter the UK mainland as visitors or with permission, that is up to the UK border agency to police!....or is this all too simplistic? :hmm: