Brexit - Merged Threads

panoma1

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

And as for my comment about a massively increasing population being the problem with inflation, I've alredy explained that it was an exaggerated responce to an article making a similar exaggerated claim that Brexit was responsible. Again something that you fail to acknowledge

Yes, we've been over this - you've conceded on my point (that your original claim was exaggerated) but you've failed to make your point (that my original article was equally exaggerated). Despite me asking several times. Including the last time when I  said just to cut and paste the most exaggerated sentence or passage. 

What are we supposed to conclude from your repeated refusal to do that? 

29 minutes ago, Granett said:

Yes, we've been over this - you've conceded on my point (that your original claim was exaggerated) but you've failed to make your point (that my original article was equally exaggerated). Despite me asking several times. Including the last time when I  said just to cut and paste the most exaggerated sentence or passage. 

What are we supposed to conclude from your repeated refusal to do that? 

Prices have been rising across the board over the last year as a direct result of the weakening of sterling following the Brexit vote.

A very exaggerated quote from the arcticle, as my previous link to causes of inflation points out and many of my comments since, have pointed out, inflation is due to many factors not just one

here's the link again

http://mba-lectures.com/economics/macro-economics/573/causes-of-inflation.html

And as for refusing to do something, 

You still haven't answered my question, even after numerous times of asking, and in my last post I told you my reasons behind it, and by your continued refusal to answer and the fact you voted, I can therefore only come to the conclusion that your are Irish and hence your opinions on anything that happens with Brexit are irrelevant.

Edited by Newbie to this

32 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Prices have been rising across the board over the last year as a direct result of the weakening of sterling following the Brexit vote.

A very exaggerated quote from the arcticle, as my previous link to causes of inflation points out and many of my comments since, have pointed out, inflation is due to many factors not just one

here's the link again

http://mba-lectures.com/economics/macro-economics/573/causes-of-inflation.html

And as for refusing to do something, 

You still haven't answered my question, even after numerous times of asking, and in my last post I told you my reasons behind it, and by your continued refusal to answer and the fact you voted, I can therefore only come to the conclusion that your are Irish and hence your opinions on anything that happens with Brexit are irrelevant.

So Good Housekeeping has anti-Brexit bias because because the independent analyst they quote within the article says what you quoted. An analyst from a company whose business model is predecated on the accuracy of the analysis they produce? 

At least we got there in the end. 

I was going to drop the immigration point, but since you resurrected it, can you say at what point on the graph below the UK experienced the explosive population growth that according to you was the main cause of an 18% increase in food costs over the last 12 months... 

db2WckZ.jpg

(Oh, and, no. I'm not Irish.)

Edited by Granett

1 minute ago, Granett said:

So Good Housekeeping has anti Brexit biased because because the independent analyst they quote within the article says what you quoted. An analyst from a company whose business model is based on the accuracy of the analysis they produce? 

At least we got there in the end. 

We haven't got anywhere, except you jumping to conclusions that I've never mentioned!

2 minutes ago, Granett said:

I was going to drop the immigration point, but since you resurrected it

I resurrected nothing, just merely pointed out that inflation has more than one cause, which my comment and your article tried to imply otherwise. Again something that you choose to ignore.

Speaking of ignoring yet again no answer to my question. So again I will have to conclude from pervious comments that you are indeed Irish and not a UK citizen so therefore all your opinions on this matter are irrelevant.

I know you have refrained from using the racist card, probably because you don't know my heritage, so I'll save you the bother, I am a UK citizen from an immigrant decent.

Oh that was easy to say I'm a UK citizen, not too sure why you find it so hard to teel us where you are from, maybe it's because deep down you know your opinions on this matter are irrelevant.

Granett Nett Migration of 200 > 300 thousand a year is wholly unsupportable in a country of our size and debt with all the financial and social burden most of that brings, hence partially why we voted Brexit.  Before you say the Govt had control of none EU Immigration yes we all know that but we are totally exasperated by consecutive Governments pathetic attempts to curb all Immigration.  We were being totally mugged by the EU as has been proven by their 'negotiations'.  It was never about economics or the price of a Turkey bloody Dinner it was about not being sucked into an EU Superstate and not being a dumping ground for all Europes dross and all the while paying through the nose for the privelige.  We are full, end off.  We don't need more housing we need less people.

On 22/09/2017 at 15:03, 12gauge82 said:

Listing to mays speach now, I'm disgusted by what I'm hearing, this is not what the country voted for. I'm hoping Nigel is back for the next election.

He's had a couple of goes at becoming an MP and failed  miserably, the man's just a gob***** not the sort of bloke you want around when some serious diplomacy is required. Time somebody got their foot on his throat,

doubt it will be Theresa May though.

11 hours ago, tandytommo said:

He's had a couple of goes at becoming an MP and failed  miserably, the man's just a gob*****  not the sort of bloke you want around when some serious diplomacy is required. Time somebody got their foot on his throat,

Only a fool would bet against Nigel Farage.

Of note: my friends who were strong supporters of leave all but one stated that the best way to get rid of UKIP was to vote leave. Its also likely that without elections to the European Parliament they may well become a spent political force. They have a small number of Welsh AM's, one of whom has already re-joined (or tried to) the Tories.

Take from that what you will.

Cheers

Aled

Edited by Aled

11 hours ago, Granett said:

Suffice to say that I'm heavily invested in UK success.

I want the country to be successful. Pointing out that Brexit is shaping up to be the most unsuccessful decision we have taken as a nation is not unpatriotic.

What time frame are you looking at for this success? Personally I was fully aware that in the short term Brexit might be damaging but I believe that in the long run we will be better off outside the EU. Are you looking 1 year ahead, or 10 or 50?

Maybe if people either adopted a more positive view, or simply adopted that classic stance of "Stiff upper lip old boy, we'll get through this" then they could look at the future as a brighter prospect. Who knows, this could be the worst or the best decision we've ever made but whatever the result we're stuck with it now and the only option is to make the best of it.

Sceptiscism is fine but at some point you either accept the bad times or you look for ways to improve them. As a nation we have a habit of pulling through any situation and should Brexit prove to be a bad decision I'm sure we will do so again.  But I believe that the next few generation will ultimately end up thanking us for the decision we made and that our future will ultimately be brighter outside of the EU.

10 minutes ago, Danger-Mouse said:

But I believe that the next few generation will ultimately end up thanking us for the decision we made and that our future will ultimately be brighter outside of the EU.

You may well be correct, but lets be honest we don't know for certain yet one way or another.

Aled

Edited by Aled

13 minutes ago, Aled said:

You may well be correct, but lets be honest we don't know for certain yet one way or another.

Aled

You are quite correct, no one can know the future. We have gambled and now we must make the best of the cards we have been dealt. But had we voted remain the situation would be just the same, we still wouldn't know what the future holds for us.

At least now the future lies in our own hands, not the hands of people who care far less about the success of our little island nation.

Edited by Danger-Mouse

Its not a gamble seperating ourselves from the totally corrupt EU, it will be the best thing we have ever done.  The Migration crisis hasn't gone away they have just censored the news and there are many 'taking' countries waiting in the wings to join.  We were only ever a dumping ground for their dross and a Cash Cow whilst raping our Fisheries.

Edited by JRDS

Barnier has now completely lost the plot. He continues to insult us. He now suggests we have not been at the forefront of fighting terrorism.  No mention that Merkle invited them , as many as they wished, to travel to Germany and then by right to the rest of Europe.  I have a sense that panic is setting in over there. 

59 minutes ago, Danger-Mouse said:

You are quite correct, no one can know the future. We have gambled and now we must make the best of the cards we have been dealt. But had we voted remain the situation would be just the same, we still wouldn't know what the future holds for us.

At least now the future lies in our own hands, not the hands of people who care far less about the success of our little island nation.

Fair enough DM: "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new": Albert Einstein.

2 hours ago, Danger-Mouse said:

How can our future lie in our hands in a global, gig economy? Our future is intrinsically linked with the rest of the globe. 

As a little Island nation others may not care about our success but a successful team cares about all its players. With global competition for ever scarce resources co-operation and partnership must be the way forward. 

29 minutes ago, oowee said:

How can our future lie in our hands in a global, gig economy? Our future is intrinsically linked with the rest of the globe. 

As a little Island nation others may not care about our success but a successful team cares about all its players. With global competition for ever scarce resources co-operation and partnership must be the way forward. 

Why is being in the EU being a team player? It's but a small corner of the world that is protectionist and activly stops it's members from striking trade and therefre alliances with other countries, I think it very small mined to think we need to rely on the EU, while stopping us connecting  with the rest of the world, I'd happily trade with the EU to, if they want to on open and free terms, if not it's their loss, why should the UK keep trying with a union that appears to hate us so much? 

As for the so called financial settlement that was paid for and some in blood let alone money during the last war, we don't owe them anything anyway, they've got an absaloute cheek!

Luckily they appear to continue to be acting so arrogantly and unreasonably the UK will end up with a no deal and the small mined club aka EU can implode without us.

I'm relieved we're leaving even if our remainiac mps sail us up the river with the ransom.

12 hours ago, tandytommo said:

He's had a couple of goes at becoming an MP and failed  miserably, the man's just a gob***** not the sort of bloke you want around when some serious diplomacy is required. Time somebody got their foot on his throat,

Nigel Farage would be the best negotiator on our behalf and would be arguing for what was voted for in the referendum IMO.

However I don't believe we will ever get from the EU what was voted for and a massive compromise and unacceptable  ransom will have to be paid.

I believe we should be  nearing the point of 'walking away' from the discussions with no deal otherwise we will be a country who capitulated to the EU mobsters.

I unfortunately believe it is looking like we will sell ourselves short and accept a very bad deal for the UK. This should be voted on and the alternative (NO DEAL) accepted.

16 hours ago, Granett said:

Out of interest, is there any evidence or event that you can envisage that might serve to make you admit you were wrong

And please don't misrepresent me. I've not insulted anyone's intelligence (in fact, ironically, I'm the only one to have been the target of insults here).

Ive given it some thought, because it was quite an interesting question.
No cant think of a thing.
And Granett seriously, if you dont realise how you come across with your lofty liberalisms, and quotes plucked straight out the left wing press...
' Ill make this really simple for you so you can understand me' You need to take a look at what you write.

And if you dont like being 'insulted' dont constantly jump in with a conflicting agenda, with an antagonistic view.
You wouldnt do it in real life would you?

16 hours ago, oowee said:

You can't be serious? 

Ive had a think about this comment too.
What will we lose?
If we get/pay for tariff free trade with Europe, nothing lost there, personally I would like to see how it would work with no deal.
Passport controls ? You already need them if flying in ect, minimal impact, if any at all.
EU building projects/grants? As we are a net contributor, surely we will have more cash to spend at home, on what WE want, not what Brussels wants.

Ive said this many times on here, business will do what business wants, the EU is an expensive, corrupt interference.
If BMW wants to sell us cars, and the UK wants to buy them, the deal will be facilitated, and the EU can do nothing about it.
If we want to sell Cheddar to the French, and the French still want to buy it, there is NOTHING the EU can do to stop it.
If it tries to make life difficult via tariffs, it hurts them as  much, if not more than us, it is NOT rocket science.
If things get too expensive, people in the UK will stop buying them, and find alternatives outside of the EU.
But the rest of Europe cant do that can they?
As a trade agreement, its not a bad idea, but when it starts to mess with peoples daily lives, via political shenanigans, thats when people get hacked off.
So its got to go.

Image result for eu integration by stealth

49 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

EU building projects/grants? As we are a net contributor, surely we will have more cash to spend at home, on what WE want, not what Brussels wants.

Agree with all and this point re 'EU grants of our own money' is used as a sweetener to keep local UK areas on EU side.Probably because we don't choose to make the funds available.

Edited by Good shot?

18 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Only a fool would bet against Nigel Farage.

Electoral performance

Further information: Electoral history of Nigel Farage

Farage has contested several elections under the UKIP banner:

UK Parliament elections

Date of election Constituency   Party Votes  % of votes Result
1994 by-election Eastleigh   UKIP 952 1.7 Not elected
1997 general election Salisbury   UKIP 3,332 5.7 Not elected
2001 general election Bexhill and Battle   UKIP 3,474 7.8 Not elected
2005 general election South Thanet   UKIP 2,079 5.0 Not elected
2006 by-election Bromley and Chislehurst   UKIP 2,347 8.1 Not elected
2010 general election Buckingham   UKIP 8,410 17.4 Not elected
2015 general election South Thanet   UKIP 16,026 32.4