Static caravan

foxnet22

Mum had one and there seems to be a closed shop between some site owners and manufacturers.

1. Only vans below a certain age were allowed, after that, replace or remove.

2. Some sites no pets.

3. As you mentioned- site fees plus full 12 months opening or just march to December or possibly earlier.

Opening dates

Can you sub-let

Mains gas or bottle, do you have to buy the gas through them (inflated prices)

Site fees plus any extras water, electric etc.

Can you buy your own van or only through them

What age do you have to change the van? (Around here 6 - 10 years) then you either need to buy a new one or walk away when they will offer a fraction of its worth

Leisure passes to any pool etc

To make it worthwhile it needs to be used a lot or it's a lot of money for a big tin shed.

Opening dates

Can you sub-let

Mains gas or bottle, do you have to buy the gas through them (inflated prices)

Site fees plus any extras water, electric etc.

Can you buy your own van or only through them

What age do you have to change the van? (Around here 6 - 10 years) then you either need to buy a new one or walk away when they will offer a fraction of its worth

Leisure passes to any pool etc

To make it worthwhile it needs to be used a lot or it's a lot of money for a big tin shed.

Correct.

I looked at buying one just over the border in jockistan, nice site, we had been there several times in a tourer over the years.

my plan was lots of weekends and summer holidays and a nice base for goose shooting with the lads and I have stalking up there,

problem was strict rules about no firearms, not that it mattered as the site closes end of sept to easter....

my bid (yes it was closed bids) didnt even get a reply fortunatly.

the van was worth £3k max I would have replaced it with something newer, for another £10k or so, my bid of £15k didnt even get a sniff.

We looked into the purchase of a static van on a site but decided to go with Large twin axle touring caravan - we put it on a seasonal pitch, and it worked out much more cost effective, it gets used most weekends, and have had several longer stays this year so far.

we have had ours for 3yr now and love it, weekend can't come quick enough. best friends from home have plot next door and made new shooting and fishing friends since buying. 2k a year plus couple o bottles gas at £50 each. bought at a damn good price and vans ok on site as long as they don't look rough and detract from the sites appearance. Fishing on Trent Inc in price and only 45mins from home so no excuse for not going there. you do have to use it a lot to make it worth while or you may as well spend 2/3k a year going on holiday somewhere. we get March through to end of October so caravan season ends and pheasant season starts so busy all year 😁

Edited by Paul taylor

We've had ours for 2 years now and it's a residential van , basically it has better insulation, windows etc so it's more like a home.

It's in Somerset and 5 miles in land.

No entertainment at all.

Can't be sub let.

Pets allowed but I leave the cats at home.

You have to keep it tidy but age is open to discussion.

£3k + electric, gas , internet.

We can use it 11 months

Plus side he's asked me if I want to shoot there :)

Edited by team tractor

we have had ours for 3yr now and love it, weekend can't come quick enough. best friends from home have plot next door and made new shooting and fishing friends since buying. 2k a year plus couple o bottles gas at £50 each. bought at a damn good price and vans ok on site as long as they don't look rough and detract from the sites appearance. Fishing on Trent Inc in price and only 45mins from home so no excuse for not going there. you do have to use it a lot to make it worth while or you may as well spend 2/3k a year going on holiday somewhere. we get March through to end of October so caravan season ends and pheasant season starts so busy all year

Hi Paul, which site are you on, as i would be interested in the Trent fishing side of it. Pm me if preferred.

Had three static dogs over the years on two different sites. Started off ok but prices started to creep to the point it was very expensive for the time we used it.

If you plan to live there most of the time it can be good. I get sick of theses same places after a while so it looses its appeal to me.

Even brand new statics get very hot in summer and cold in spring autumn unless your heating is on a lot. Much like you would expect from a insulated tin shed.

Edited by figgy

If you've got nippers or live somewhere grotty, do it as an escape - It's brilliant. Close the door Friday and you leave the washing, ironing, bills and BS behind for a weekend away.

If you haven't kids or they've grown up and/or you live somewhere nice, spend your money on lovely weekend breaks