Lewis Hamilton

KB1

Also, quite frankly, button was pretty inept as a career strategist. Basically he was completely out of a job if Brawn hadn't saved the pretty lame team he was on at the time (for years and years, all he could do was 'doing a one stopper and try to catch some points', and it was *extraordinarily* lucky that the car performed so well that year *THEN* he actually slamed the door on Brawn to go to McLaren.... while Brawn was bought by Mercedes and we all know where THAT went... Afterward he also slammed Lewis for leaving McLaren to an unproven car (mercedes) and we also know where THAT went...

As far as racing goes, these days I save 2 hours and watch the highlights on youtube.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's your opinion but I can't see how you think Button is better than Hamilton. He rarely bettered him when at McLaren. He won his only WDC in 2009 when in a car that was significantly faster than others due to the double defusers. When the other cars caught up later in the season (July) Button failed to win a race. I have no doubt he is a nice guy but a journeyman imo.

Correct.

It's not a fair comparison. Lewis et al might all be willing to compete in multiple formulae but it's very doubtful their team would let them. If you can drive a modern day F1 car at the highest level then the lesser formulae would pose no problem, indeed most will have risen through those ranks to reach F1. If you do want to insist on following that formula then Mansell is the greatest of all time because he's the only driver to hold F1 and Indy Car championships at the same time.

I'm sorry but those old drivers didn't have the same levels of media and sponsorship commitments that modern drivers have and those old drivers didn't posses the same levels of fitness that the modern drivers have. If you took Lewis back in time he would still be amongst the greats. Bring one of the older drivers forward at the peak of their abilities and they would probably struggle at the highest modern day levels. Not because of ability but simply because of physical conditioning.

No argument about their cojones though, they raced in far more dangerous times but I suspect that even if modern F1 was more dangerous than it is the majority of drivers would still be out there risking life and limb for glory, paychecks and our entertainment.

The great racing drivers are almost, or perhaps actually, sociopathic personalities. They have no fear, and little or no regard for what others may think of them. All they care about is winning.

If you asked me who I liked more, Jenson or Lewis? Hands down I'd say Jenson. But if my life depended on one of them winning a race or a championship then I'd go for Lewis everytime.

:good: Excellent points and spot on.

I am not a "fan" of Lewis but to deny he's easily a top 3 driver of his era lays bare ones lack of F1 knowledge. Sir Jackie Stewart is one of my sporting hero's but even in his prime (without the conditioning and climbing through the formula needed) he'd have struggled to place a modern day car on the fifth row.

As for being Mr. Nice guy :hmm: the clay field is full of great blokes (and I mean that graciously) but some of the more consistent winners are a tad stand offish :yes: .

Edited by Hamster

It's your opinion but I can't see how you think Button is better than Hamilton. He rarely bettered him when at McLaren. He won his only WDC in 2009 when in a car that was significantly faster than others due to the double defusers. When the other cars caught up later in the season (July) Button failed to win a race. I have no doubt he is a nice guy but a journeyman imo.

Haha by that logic your argument stands for Hamilton being a 'journeyman' too.

As he has yet to win anything of significance in a car which has not been the best on the grid.

But if Hamilton is a true great, Rosberg is even greater - by simply beating Hamilton in the same car for a full season...

But if Hamilton is a true great, Rosberg is even greater - by simply beating Hamilton in the same car for a full season...

Nah, one championship doesn't make you great. Rosberg had an outstanding season but ultimately he only won because Hamilton suffered an engine failure in Malaysia. Had he not he would most likely have scored more than 5 points in the race and ended the season as champion again. Rosberg certainly won the championship but he didn't really beat Lewis.

Nah, one championship doesn't make you great. Rosberg had an outstanding season but ultimately he only won because Hamilton suffered an engine failure in Malaysia. Had he not he would most likely have scored more than 5 points in the race and ended the season as champion again. Rosberg certainly won the championship but he didn't really beat Lewis.

I know. I was just playing Devil's advocate putting the argument which was put forward into perspective - stats never lie, and when all is said and done Rosberg beat 'one of the greats' in the same car...

Hamilton isn't doing anything different to what Vettel did at Red Bull and I've seen many discredit him due to his success being just because of how dominant the Red Bull was. Well, the exact same could be said of Hamilton and the Mercedes...

The sport is in a bad place IMO. Too few teams can actually compete for race wins - never mind titles. Prime example, 20 years ago Hill almost won in Hungary in an Arrows - an Arrows!! You had Benneton, Jordan and McLaren fighting for race wins against Williams and Ferrari... we have been lucky to have 2 teams fight for a title this year!

Brilliant and after getting a puncture from Vettel.

You mean after getting a possible ‘deliberate’ puncture from Vettel- bit like Baku?

For had he put Lewis out it would have given him a chance- maybe a Schumacher Hill incident.......

But still, great result for Lewis and for Britain —- Go Hammy