squirrel control

Mice!

9 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

The war of attrition pays off. Went out before daybreak this morning. -3c. Sat in the hide in front of the feeder. Waited until 8.30am and a Red squirrel pops up on the feeder, closely followed by another Red. These two start chattering and chasing each other. Another Red arrives and takes advantage of the others being distracted and snatches a peanut from the feeder, then another. Then the dispute is ended and the others return for a feed.

After an hour and a half, no greys appear. So off home.

Then this afternoon well away from that wood a large female finds itself confined in a trap. 

We just need to keep at ‘em and make space for the Reds.

Excellent

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These two were photographed this morning at one of my permissions.

The kits had been coming to the owners garden for a couple of days now and just have some ear tufts growing. It is hoped they have already put on enough weight to survive the winter but I have recommended regular supplementary feeding. 
They also have an occasional grey visitor and so the war of attrition goes on.

14C4EBDD-2978-4D11-AF93-57EFA2A4D1A6.jpeg.fcf0cc5df0b7bc08a106e672386ca73f.jpeg4BECB5CE-EFC3-4BF1-9268-3E2662BE12CD.jpeg.d5b2d975e5bcd801c07fce096f66729e.jpeg

82F7464A-2C05-472F-8108-D33D0AECD3E8.jpeg.aabce3febec2441cfe76eb4b3b117b9c.jpeg0EFD1229-6CB0-4856-BA51-C1361B2A2A13.jpeg.4e937a99d87c6ddf983db501d8f50338.jpeg

Apparently there are 3 kits visiting at the moment.

Five years ago there were no reds at all on this Estate, but with regular shooting control in the woods by our volunteers by shooting and trapping by two tenants in their gardens, the reds are slowly returning.

I am concerned at the number of greys suddenly appearing, after being nearly grey free all year.

4 hours ago, Sciurus said:

82F7464A-2C05-472F-8108-D33D0AECD3E8.jpeg.aabce3febec2441cfe76eb4b3b117b9c.jpeg0EFD1229-6CB0-4856-BA51-C1361B2A2A13.jpeg.4e937a99d87c6ddf983db501d8f50338.jpeg

Five years ago there were no reds at all on this Estate, but with regular shooting control in the woods by our volunteers by shooting and trapping by two tenants in their gardens, the reds are slowly returning.

I am concerned at the number of greys suddenly appearing, after being nearly grey free all year.

Those pictures should be on a calendar mate, brilliant. 

Sounds like the tenants are doing a great job, hopefully between you the greys get dealt with fast

10 hours ago, Sciurus said:

The kits had been coming to the owners garden for a couple of days now and just have some ear tufts growing. It is hoped they have already put on enough weight to survive the winter but I have recommended regular supplementary feeding. 

14C4EBDD-2978-4D11-AF93-57EFA2A4D1A6.jpeg.fcf0cc5df0b7bc08a106e672386ca73f.jpeg4BECB5CE-EFC3-4BF1-9268-3E2662BE12CD.jpeg.d5b2d975e5bcd801c07fce096f66729e.jpeg

Beautiful 

14 hours ago, Sciurus said:

Yes, it’s great when you see the Reds again, but as you say it’s a continual battle to keep the grey numbers down. One or two people consistently onto the greys can make a difference over a wide area but it really needs a landscape wide approach from an army of volunteers together with commitment from landowners large and small to really kee the numbers down. 

@Fisheruk i agree completely that control has to be organised over a large area with full co operation from all landowners. This site falls within our G2G (Grizedale to Grasmere) iniative, the main aim being to prevent greys travelling along this corridor into Grasmere (Maintained grey free).

I run a small sub group and we removed 45 greys in November. The volunteers of our group as a whole removed 132 greys. There will be figures from contractors and landowners to come in still. We are just one of the many red squirrel groups up in the Lakes doing our bit👍
@Mice!We have previously looked at producing a calendar using our own photos but it is just not cost effective. Instead one calendar is produced and shared between all the local groups. Haven’t you bought yours yet?!!

4 hours ago, Sciurus said:

have previously looked at producing a calendar using our own photos but it is just not cost effective. Instead one calendar is produced and shared between all the local groups. Haven’t you bought yours yet?!!

I'm sure those pictures would win in a comp, I normally buy one, but I haven't seen any advertised yet this year?

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

I'm sure those pictures would win in a comp, I normally buy one, but I haven't seen any advertised yet this year?

We ordered a job lot and sold them at the various local shows, I think the rest were sold via the electronic newsletter. I know theTreasurer doesn’t  like to order too many as any left unsold cuts into profit.

I agree, the photos are of exceptional quality and talent.

I suspect you might see the photos in a future newsletter👍

Edited by Sciurus

10 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

We ordered a job lot and sold them at the various local shows, I think the rest were sold via the electronic newsletter. I know theTreasurer doesn’t  like to order too many as any left unsold cuts into profit.

I agree, the photos are of exceptional quality and talent.

I suspect you might see the photos in a future newsletter👍

Brilliant efforts looking after the reds - wish i was closer to help

Its been a very cold week, once I was togged up ready yesterday morning I had on two pairs of socks( 1 thermal) two pairs of trousers plus overtrousers, t-shirt jumper, fleece then coat, gloves, buff and hat.
Only to find it wasn't as cold as it had been, I was expecting the same dry cold we'd had over the previous days, but the temperature had risen making it seem like it was raining with everything dripping 🙄🙄

I'd also set out later than I normally would thinking the squirrels wouldn't be in any rush to leave a warm drey!!

Walking into the wood, a squirrel ran across my path, gun out and followed because I can here with a bit of discretion, it wasn't bothered by me, it was scratching around looking for food, then it scampered up an oak and settled down to eat, Pfft Whack drop #1
Because it was early I went up onto the golf course and had a scan around, glowing nice and bright was a squirrel across the fairway, I moved towards it but not directly at it, again it came down rooting around at the base of the tree, few minutes passed before another showed up, no idea which I shot but one of them caught a JSB HEAVY #2

Small female and a larger one.

Screenshot_20221210-191113_Gallery.jpg.6681e0bfb5096a5b515a05d66c263094.jpg

With that I headed for the feeder, settled in and watched the birds, there was a constant stream of Nuthatch's and great tits, few blackbirds but nothing else, I was sure at one point I caught a glimpse of grey, safety came off and I gave it another 15 mins, but nothing showed, so with it being cold I decided I'd rather take a walk.

I headed up to the big Oaks I shot a few from the other week, and sure enough there were three squirrels just sat up in the boughs, doing nothing which in the cold seemed odd to me, I took a left and a right from two trees with the third smartly vanishing.

Another large female, I struggled finding this one in the brambles even with the thermal and didn't find the other, both shot off my knees using the sticks to get the angles.

Screenshot_20221210-191104_Gallery.jpg.aeba64a7e0a39fd7401ad4368423a09b.jpg

I left two outside a freshly dug fox earth, so an easy meal for them.

I then had a break to pack up the caravan 🥶🥶
Stopped for lunch

Screenshot_20221210-191051_Gallery.jpg.b1e857fd7d18f903ea274d5cbeb8bf36.jpg

And had to pop the shop to get my daughter flowers, because she did well 😁😁
Lady in Booths said would you like to try some Prosecco or Whisky 😳 yes but I'm driving, it's only a wee bit she said😋 two bottles of ten year old Speyburn single malt £20 each, offer ends Tuesday 😀

Onto the woods, but there were people everywhere, no doubt drawn by the white stuff, I filled a feeder, walked about for two hours and only spotted 3 squirrels , I dropped one down an embankment, sat up in an oak again, but didn't go down for it, it was wet and slippery with no footpaths nearby so a fox or buzzard will find that one.

Still acorns everywhere, as well as Yew berries and the feeder wasn't empty after two weeks? But the feeders elsewhere were completely empty!

Screenshot_20221210-191025_Gallery.jpg.3d78cf5dfd775d087afbe679e0e9c677.jpg

Screenshot_20221210-191012_Gallery.jpg.491b521c2771005f75a9cbdf86c78ff7.jpg

I even had to do a full service on the wet cold gun 😁

Screenshot_20221211-165248_Gallery.jpg.18074bf7e9d3abcf7d05ef6d163cc4bb.jpg

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

Its been a very cold week, once I was togged up ready yesterday morning I had on two pairs of socks( 1 thermal) two pairs of trousers plus overtrousers, t-shirt jumper, fleece then coat, gloves, buff and hat.
Only to find it wasn't as cold as it had been, I was expecting the same dry cold we'd had over the previous days, but the temperature had risen making it seem like it was raining with everything dripping 🙄🙄

I'd also set out later than I normally would thinking the squirrels wouldn't be in any rush to leave a warm drey!!

Walking into the wood, a squirrel ran across my path, gun out and followed because I can here with a bit of discretion, it wasn't bothered by me, it was scratching around looking for food, then it scampered up an oak and settled down to eat, Pfft Whack drop #1
Because it was early I went up onto the golf course and had a scan around, glowing nice and bright was a squirrel across the fairway, I moved towards it but not directly at it, again it came down rooting around at the base of the tree, few minutes passed before another showed up, no idea which I shot but one of them caught a JSB HEAVY #2

Small female and a larger one.

Screenshot_20221210-191113_Gallery.jpg.6681e0bfb5096a5b515a05d66c263094.jpg

With that I headed for the feeder, settled in and watched the birds, there was a constant stream of Nuthatch's and great tits, few blackbirds but nothing else, I was sure at one point I caught a glimpse of grey, safety came off and I gave it another 15 mins, but nothing showed, so with it being cold I decided I'd rather take a walk.

I headed up to the big Oaks I shot a few from the other week, and sure enough there were three squirrels just sat up in the boughs, doing nothing which in the cold seemed odd to me, I took a left and a right from two trees with the third smartly vanishing.

Another large female, I struggled finding this one in the brambles even with the thermal and didn't find the other, both shot off my knees using the sticks to get the angles.

Screenshot_20221210-191104_Gallery.jpg.aeba64a7e0a39fd7401ad4368423a09b.jpg

I left two outside a freshly dug fox earth, so an easy meal for them.

I then had a break to pack up the caravan 🥶🥶
Stopped for lunch

Screenshot_20221210-191051_Gallery.jpg.b1e857fd7d18f903ea274d5cbeb8bf36.jpg

And had to pop the shop to get my daughter flowers, because she did well 😁😁
Lady in Booths said would you like to try some Prosecco or Whisky 😳 yes but I'm driving, it's only a wee bit she said😋 two bottles of ten year old Speyburn single malt £20 each, offer ends Tuesday 😀

Onto the woods, but there were people everywhere, no doubt drawn by the white stuff, I filled a feeder, walked about for two hours and only spotted 3 squirrels , I dropped one down an embankment, sat up in an oak again, but didn't go down for it, it was wet and slippery with no footpaths nearby so a fox or buzzard will find that one.

Still acorns everywhere, as well as Yew berries and the feeder wasn't empty after two weeks? But the feeders elsewhere were completely empty!

Screenshot_20221210-191025_Gallery.jpg.3d78cf5dfd775d087afbe679e0e9c677.jpg

Screenshot_20221210-191012_Gallery.jpg.491b521c2771005f75a9cbdf86c78ff7.jpg

I even had to do a full service on the wet cold gun 😁

Screenshot_20221211-165248_Gallery.jpg.18074bf7e9d3abcf7d05ef6d163cc4bb.jpg

Great write up !

@Mice!You’re a tough beggar, sleeping in the van in this weather! It was minus 9 Sunday night at Levens according to Bbc.

Well done on your mornings wanderings. There is a little present on its way for you and the kids, for posting some great write ups this year.👍Hopefully your very understanding wife will also like it.

I have a confession to make. On Sunday, I should have gone shooting in the Cold Wood, it is called the Cold wood for a reason, however I took one look outside and  jumped back into bed! 

ps In actual fact, the greys don’t like this wood either, its north facing. I’ll go when its warmer.

Edited by Sciurus

On 11/12/2022 at 21:17, jall25 said:

Great write up !

6 hours ago, Morkin said:

FANTASTIC pictures and brilliant story and results,👍🍷🍷🍷To you all involved for making this happen, keep up the good work .

Cheers fellas, I like to do a write up with pictures when I have a good day.

36 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

Well done on your mornings wanderings. There is a little present on its way for you and the kids, for posting some great write ups this year.👍Hopefully your very understanding wife will also like it.

Very intriguing mate 🤔

36 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

have a confession to make. On Sunday, I should have gone shooting in the Cold Wood, it is called the Cold wood for a reason, however I took one look outside and  jumped back into bed! 

ps In actual fact, the greys don’t like this wood either, its north facing. I’ll go when its warmer.

I can fully understand that, no point going when it's ridiculously cold, especially if you know the squirrels aren't likely to be there anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the ice and snow has deterred everyone from going shooting greys (including me). I did go out last week, I lasted about an hour before the cold got too much for my fingers (blasted blood thinners).

Today, the forecast was rain so I thought I would give it a miss, however when I woke up it was dryish and dull- perfect thermal weather and as it turned out, a lovely morning out.

It was 8.30 when I arrived at the hotel, the scaffolding was up- great, it was still closed to guests. 👍The lower car park was nice and empty and  as I was pulling the .410 out of the slip, there was a twang and a branch of Douglas fir was bouncing! Out with the binos, there was a grey coming straight at me. The only cartridges in my pocket were Cheddites- heavy on lead & light on powder. Phut! The grey staggered, did abit of to ing  and fro ing and stopped for a second and phut, one down and I hadn’t even unloaded the car.

Walking along the garden path, I thermalled a rabbit running along the path in front of me, however its  large bushy tail suggested otherwise. Game on. It disappeared into the shrubbery and I thought I had lost it. Fifty feet further on, it was sitting up having an acorn for breakfast. Pop went the sub eleys and it kicked its way down the bank into the undergrowth. Two down. Scanning around for the body, I picked up another grey, rooting around the opposite bank of the stream. Pop three down.

I crossed the bridge to pick up number 3 and scanned what appeared to be a woodie in the lower branches of a tall fir. The binos confirmed a grey with just its back showing. Pop. Four down and I had only walked a hundred yards!

A search of the rest of the garden and campsite didn’t reveal any more greys and normally I would have been happy with that. But the day got better. Moving along into track, I spotted what looked like a bird on a tree stump but the binos confirmed it was this chap below.

A669D4BF-4316-43E7-A0B2-37E18876CAC2.jpeg.85f7bfbe7b52d7f82361f37ef46f8a22.jpeg

I watched him for a minute or two and walked towards the cottage where those kits were filmed last week. Blow me, across the ravine I spotted two more reds, one had a very light tail and was on a mission up and down trees, the other other just sat on a branch, presumably watching me. I continued along the stream until I met the main track and unbelievably there was a fourth red! As I was fumbling trying to get my phone out, it disappeared up the tree and into a small drey about the size of a small football. As I was logging the co ordinates on my phone, it came out again and ran down the trunk and I managed a quick photo below

4514B12D-A9B0-44F2-9527-3991BE04C3E1.jpeg.e4219dada60250876b8d1ae20f4fd943.jpeg

A lovely dark red colour. None of these reds were kits, so there must be at least 7 reds in this area which is encouraging.

I  Haven’t seen so many reds in one day, I suspect the warmer weather and ideal thermalling conditions helped alot. It is however worrying that so many greys are suddenly appearing- I’ll be back at them in the early New Year.

6D92806C-BFDE-4305-8AA7-49FC9EB9FC9E.jpeg.aa7d17850a76832a8bf125fc8450a8ff.jpeg

Have a lovely Christmas.

Cheers

Garnet

1 hour ago, Sciurus said:

Looks like the ice and snow has deterred everyone from going shooting greys (including me). I did go out last week, I lasted about an hour before the cold got too much for my fingers (blasted blood thinners).

Today, the forecast was rain so I thought I would give it a miss, however when I woke up it was dryish and dull- perfect thermal weather and as it turned out, a lovely morning out.

It was 8.30 when I arrived at the hotel, the scaffolding was up- great, it was still closed to guests. 👍The lower car park was nice and empty and  as I was pulling the .410 out of the slip, there was a twang and a branch of Douglas fir was bouncing! Out with the binos, there was a grey coming straight at me. The only cartridges in my pocket were Cheddites- heavy on lead & light on powder. Phut! The grey staggered, did abit of to ing  and fro ing and stopped for a second and phut, one down and I hadn’t even unloaded the car.

Walking along the garden path, I thermalled a rabbit running along the path in front of me, however its  large bushy tail suggested otherwise. Game on. It disappeared into the shrubbery and I thought I had lost it. Fifty feet further on, it was sitting up having an acorn for breakfast. Pop went the sub eleys and it kicked its way down the bank into the undergrowth. Two down. Scanning around for the body, I picked up another grey, rooting around the opposite bank of the stream. Pop three down.

I crossed the bridge to pick up number 3 and scanned what appeared to be a woodie in the lower branches of a tall fir. The binos confirmed a grey with just its back showing. Pop. Four down and I had only walked a hundred yards!

A search of the rest of the garden and campsite didn’t reveal any more greys and normally I would have been happy with that. But the day got better. Moving along into track, I spotted what looked like a bird on a tree stump but the binos confirmed it was this chap below.

I watched him for a minute or two and walked towards the cottage where those kits were filmed last week. Blow me, across the ravine I spotted two more reds, one had a very light tail and was on a mission up and down trees, the other other just sat on a branch, presumably watching me. I continued along the stream until I met the main track and unbelievably there was a fourth red! As I was fumbling trying to get my phone out, it disappeared up the tree and into a small drey about the size of a small football. As I was logging the co ordinates on my phone, it came out again and ran down the trunk and I managed a quick photo below

A lovely dark red colour. None of these reds were kits, so there must be at least 7 reds in this area which is encouraging.

I  Haven’t seen so many reds in one day, I suspect the warmer weather and ideal thermalling conditions helped alot. It is however worrying that so many greys are suddenly appearing- I’ll be back at them in the early New Year.

Have a lovely Christmas.

Cheers

Garnet

Brilliant mate, it is a worry seeing the reds and greys in such close proximity, but great to see so many reds. And great pictures. 

I was going to go out Friday but then I checked the weather,  so I chucked the towel in at work today and I'm out tomorrow 😁

I'm for a walk over Xmas if we can sort a day out 👍

Great report and pics.  Finally after 4 weeks I have my wheels back so out again in the morning to the farm and then plan the golf course Saturday morning.  The grass has still not been harvested at the farm so two of my flip tops have not been visited. One being the pear tree where my best morning couple of hours was 9 so as soon as I can get at that I will fill up the feeder, leave it 48hrs and have a look.

Not seeing many about in our village although my wife managed to sort one as she drove to the shops with her Skoda.

Y'alll have a great Christmas and best wishes for a succesful , happy New Year.

2 hours ago, Sciurus said:

Have a lovely Christmas.

Cheers

Garnet

Brilliant

On 09/12/2022 at 17:33, Sciurus said:

Superb, that's what it's all about.

Will never see that here due to stupid old folk liking greys?