Best Fight Ever

FairImogen

My Husband is always playing me videos of the fighters he tries to emulate.  Consequently, I learned to love Ali, Forman, etc; and thought Boxing was about Heavyweights.

How wrong I was.  This is the best fight ever.  The Clones Cyclone is so, so, fast; I can’t differentiate between his left hook and jab; and, when he changes stance, where does that right hook, left uppercut come from?  Just wow.

There is no such thing as the best Fight/fighter! It's down many, many things such as training, conditions, how they are on the night, how the opponent performs, who they fight, etc, etc.....in one fight, a particular fighter can look like a world beater, in another he can look average! When everything comes together, that's when the good fights are produced, the fighters just play a part in it!

McGuigan lost to late stand in Steve Cruz....not because Cruz was a better fighter, but because Cruz was a reasonable boxer with no punch and lanky, the fighter he prepared to fight was short and stocky......Mc Guigans speed and strength was drawn from him within four/five rounds by the blistering 125 degrees temperature in the Nevada desert! The heat (another variable!) beat him, not Cruz!

Take your point, Panoma1.

But you are talking nonsense.  For fight fans, some fights will always be better than others.  We don’t care about ambient temp, whether fighters were dehydrated, or only just made their weight etc.

We only care about the bout; the spectacle; and it is that that makes one fight better than another.  And it is those bitter moments that McG v P blazes: such balance, such aggression.

If you don’t think that is what Boxing is about, stop following it, find another sport.

I don’t wish to pick a fight (no pun intended), but I have spent years watching my Husband and his Pals fight; there clearly is a best fighter - they are known as World Champions - such as our Pal, CC

I remember that fight well, not just because of Barry's performance but because it was absolutely blatant how Pedroza's second was sticking his hand in his right pocket then stuffing **** up Pedroza's nose. Especially in the last three rounds.

I'm sure Barry would have had him out of there sooner had it not been for that but I was amazed that nobody else commented on it.

CC was a great boxer and he puts on some pretty good shows with his protoge's these days too.

24 minutes ago, shaun4860 said:

I really enjoyed the Eubanks/Benn fight......also the Eubanks/Watson fight.....

There have been some cracking fights over the years, all good but different in their own way

probably the best fight ever was between Sean Thornton and Will Danaher.....

Was a classic 

:shaun:

That era produced some cracking fights.

I remember my dad and some mates going watching Benn and Eubank possibly at Manchester, they came out before the decision somehow managed to get home without finding out the result then watched the fight again, proper battle, helps when they don't like each other.

7 hours ago, washerboy said:

Good read but not a word regarding barney Eastwood 

I don't know who he is, just picked up the autobiography in the library one day , great read.

Much as I admire Barry McGuigan, the fight was a decent one, but the "best fight ever" - someone is having a laugh.

But you are talking nonsense.  For fight fans, some fights will always be better than others.  We don’t care about ambient temp, whether fighters were dehydrated, or only just made their weight etc.

I'm sure Barry was concerned about de-hydration when he was beaten. Perhaps he would have been talking "nonsense".

Rumble in the Jungle - if you are going for spectacle / occasion. Ali was widely expected to take a beating from Foreman, who was a thoroughly nasty piece of work.

For all out aggression, skill, speed, class - as has been cited - Hearns v Hagler.

15 hours ago, KFC said:

I remember that fight well, not just because of Barry's performance but because it was absolutely blatant how Pedroza's second was sticking his hand in his right pocket then stuffing **** up Pedroza's nose. Especially in the last three rounds.

I'm sure Barry would have had him out of there sooner had it not been for that but I was amazed that nobody else commented on it.

CC was a great boxer and he puts on some pretty good shows with his protoge's these days too.

Amazing! Ges it weren't smelling salts? How was he allowed to do that and nobody mention it?    NB