A few knives trying to post photos

Walker570

Great , it looks like we are nearly there on the forum.  Only one photo at a time though.

This knife is a piece of stainless steel, in fact it is part of a dip stick from a milk tank which I forged a little then etched with  a battery charger and salt water. The pattern I drew with a small paint brush and nail varnish. The handle is a piece of Chital (Axis) deer, the other parts are bog oak. The footprints are burnt on with a slightly modified soldering iron.

Leather work is my own.

Now I can post some pics you might see more:yes::good:

This is one I made for a friend and is an example of Dyamond Wood for the handle.  O1 steel blade, again etched with the battery charger and salt water.  I made the pins myself with brass wire and tube.  I only harden the cutting edge so the spine is still flexible and will not break across the narrow section.

P1010101.JPG

A few more.....

The inlay on the handles is cut in with a small rotary file then filled with J&B and then cleaned of and polished.

Again the etching is Battry charger and salt water. The spider web wash drawn with a needle after I had sprayed the blade with varnish.

The'button' on the end of the spider knife handle is a TTSX bullet I recovered whilst doing penetration tests on wet newsprint.  There was a splinter on the end of the handle so I drilled it out and inserted the bullet with the petals outwards.

2013-01-01 00.01.29 (800x600).jpg

2013-01-01 00.03.00 (800x600).jpg

Edited by Walker570

OK finished with the fancy stuff.  This is my working knife. Made by BUCK and the blade is one of those powdered steel jobs. I have had this maybe 20yrs and it is still like new apart from a working patina. Only needs a very light pass on a stone to have it razor sharp. There was a gut hook on the end of the saw blade until I found myself short of a screw driver once way out in the boonies, result no gut hook now :/.  No problem because I never use one for that anyway. Useful for running up the inside of front and back legs when skinning that's about all.   Very easy to clean.

2017-12-23 13.43.52 (580x800).jpg

Yes, it is obviously down to how deep you etch, but I have etched using vinegar before and it was not successful. The etching on most of those was immersed for a period of 25-30 seconds. The one with the Dyomond Wood handle had about 35 seconds (counts) as I wanted the initials to stand out.  I think you would have to put them through some pretty abrasive ill treatment to wear it away.

The spider web also had about 40 counts because again I wanted it to stand out.

The initials are put on using Letraset stick on letters or similar, leaves the letters shiny against a matt background. 

Another good idea for pins, is to use 3/16 brass tube instead of solid rod. Then before final finish on the handle when the pins have been ground back flush, mix some J&B and then grind some copper or brass or both on a coarse wheel and collect the dust, then mix this brass dust with the J&B, fill the tubes full to overflowing and let set fully, couple of days. Then carefully file back with a fine file till flush with the handle and finally polish gently on a mop. The bits of brass/copper will show through and glint against the black of the J&B.  I have a photo somewhere I'll look it out.

found it..........

the handle is military green material(like linen) Micarta

2012-01-01 00.00.32 (800x600).jpg

2012-01-01 00.00.21 (800x600).jpg

Edited by Walker570

This is a knife I made for a friend and the handle is some bog oak salvaged after ploughing of a field east of Doncaster. Sometimes it is impossible to get a piece of bog oak without the cracks and splits and this was such a piece but I personally thing it adds character and looks it's age. O1 steel again, brass bolster and fancy pins. A small amount of file work on the spine. Blocked out leather sheath. If your wondering what the skin is. It is a grey fox I shot when over in Texas USA

P1010086 (800x600).jpg

Pleased he enjoyed his Christmas Present, it looked good.  I have not attempted to pattern weld as my little forge is not up to it I don't think. I meant to build a gas furnace but never got around , to busy with other things. In fact I have some bits of steel lying around that I need to do something with. Seven days pheasant/partridge/ duck shooting arranged for January, plus three commitments on farms to kill some vermin. Time is of the essence I'm afraid.  Then of course Team Tractor gave me all that lovely wood, so I need to do something with that. Hah well  days getting longer now.