OK, y'all have woken me up.......

Walker570

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

From what I've seen of Lyn's superb work it appears that it is mainly done in Chrome tan - if you wish to tool/mold leather like you have done you need to use Oak tan/bridle leather.  This, however requires more treatment before use.

I've always used straight ordinary veg tan shoulders, 3.5 to 4mm.  I simply cut a piece to fit the job, soak it in soapy warm water for about 30 mins place over the mould and compress.

Leave it at least 14 to 20hrs then remove the compression/top board and place in a just warm oven for an hour or so and this dries it and firms it up where it will stay in shape.  It is also excellent for putting on decoration either with stamp/dies or carving. Le Prevo do half shoulders which are not perfect but more than adequate for sheaths for about £4 a sq foot.

Yep, Lin made me a new shotgun sleave and it has been a joy to use this season.  I chose the natural leather and it is now starting to have some character. I love leather when it looks used. 

I'm waiting with bai

16 minutes ago, ditchman said:

shud -upa-yer-face...........you can talk

I'm waiting with baited breath to see what this new 'tool' is going to produce.

look...............all its going to be is a story/post about a sad chance come muppet...putting together some old machinery in order to make something that cuts...you will be with me for the highs and lows...sucess or more like failure...............................

15 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I have bought shares in a bandage firm!

i still go weak at the knees seeing those stiches on walker.................................the worst and most painful tool inthe work shop is the "high speed wire brush"...now that is pain when it strips your flesh off in a nano second...............

not going to even think about it....................thats why im making up jigs and stuff ..to get straight cuts that i can use maths for...and not guess it and watch  your fingers being whittled away..

cant pick yer nose with a stump of a finger..or roll a fag that that matter

35 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i still go weak at the knees seeing those stiches on walker.................................the worst and most painful tool inthe work shop is the "high speed wire brush"...now that is pain when it strips your flesh off in a nano second...............

not going to even think about it....................thats why im making up jigs and stuff ..to get straight cuts that i can use maths for...and not guess it and watch  your fingers being whittled away..

The thought of the high speed wire brush just made my bum pucker up again ?

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

i still go weak at the knees seeing those stiches on walker.................................the worst and most painful tool inthe work shop is the "high speed wire brush"..

Yes you can it’s just a bit harder and slower ??

Glued up some bits for the Auction knife and had a couple of hours to spare so set about putting a handle on a blade tightchoke gave me to sort for him.

I had a few pieces of bog oak and managed to cut a couple of slabs for the handle.  You may remember me saying I had made a bronze bolster for the Auction knife and put it somewhere safe and could not find it, so made another ...wellllllll, I found it and not in a safe place but right beneath my big vice amongs a load of trash which I was clearing up. It is now fitted to tightchokes damascus blade.  The original handle just did not work, most uncomfortable, so with the mans permission I reprofiled it and now it feels top notch. Still lots to do but it is coming along.   The open pins will either be left open...cleaned out obviously or I will put in some decoration. White liner down the handle and it will have a red liner round the bolster.

2013-01-12 06.50.21 (800x535).jpg

Horrible wet morning so indoor play.  Managed to get some work done on both the RBL knife/sheath and also finished tightchokes second knife.  The bog oak came out qute well and we had discussed the treatment for the pins. Now everything is polished up I think I would leave them open, no more embelishment as in my view the knife looks good as it is.

Views ?

2013-01-14 03.54.27 (800x534).jpg

Well I think the way is clear for Ditchman's new project because I have now completed the RBL knife and also the two handle fitting jobs for tightchoke.

OF let me know when you are travelling north.

on edit after the comment about leather from an old handbag by johnphillip. Note the lining in the sheath. Maroon suede leather from an old fashionable then, leather mini skirt my wife had back in the 60's.  The last piece I have left.

2013-01-14 05.54.51 (800x510).jpg

Edited by Walker570

now those are nice good honest blades/tools..........which is exactly what a knife should be...something safe in the hand..wont slip...has a full tang which naturally sits well in the hand....

they dont look offensive..they want you to pick it up and be used.........

really like the way you go on those.....:good::good:

10 minutes ago, ditchman said:

now those are nice good honest blades/tools..........which is exactly what a knife should be...something safe in the hand..wont slip...has a full tang which naturally sits well in the hand....

I look forward to your work Mate!:good:

4 hours ago, panoma1 said:

I know nothing about "cutlery" but will not the faults in the bog oak scales be weak points as regards splitting?

nice looking knife though!

Bog oak goes as hard as steel it knocks hell out of my bandsaw blade. And when turning i need to keep sharpern my chisel more .here is a knife i made a few years ago its handle is bog oak and walruss .oh the sheath i made from an old handbag .i got from a charity shop

20180203_183843.jpg

I can only comment on that which I collected from a field east of Doncaster. As said, mine is mostly from the bottom/root end by the look of it.  it is really gnarly with little straight grain and lots of shakes but I have used it for all sorts of projects and never had it split. Difficult to describe mine but it isn't like wood at all to work.  The farmer said that when he first ploughed the field they dug up trailer loads, tipped it in the corner of the field and it burned for a month. 

Edited by Walker570

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

My first concern when I start a knife is the way it handles. I am constantly picking it up and moving it in my hand both likely ways it will be used. The handle should protect the thumb.....no comments there please.......when doing the cut up the belly of a beast. Turn it over and hold it normally and all the fingers should fit in the grooves and if necessary just the second, third and little pinky, with the fore finger able to be placed along the spine.  tightchokes damascus blank felt awful uncomfortable and with his permission I reprofiled it to what you now see and the extended bronze bolster just gives that extra bit of protection.  I added some file work on the spine to give a bit of purchase for the fore finger.