OK, y'all have woken me up.......

Walker570

Well it came out of those ancient, out of date G clamps in good order and I have ground down almost to the finihsed shape, just polished one side a bit to give an idea of the finish. The liner between the bolster and the handle material has still to be put in, but I hope the result of matching yew and mesquite has worked. When finally polished it will be just a touch darker in colour.   Hope y'alll approve, I'm pretty happy.

2013-01-07 05.38.06 (800x534).jpg

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blocking die made for the rear half of the sheath this morning and leather clamped in there.

Picture shows it before set up, with male and female parts.

Now waiting game again whilst it dries and hardens.

Again a crossed fingers time as even doing the best to get everyhting level you don't know until you remove the clamps and open it up.

2018-01-28 10.37.46 (800x450).jpg

Well the leather came out pretty much as expected. Baked it in a very low oven to harden the leather and keep it's shape. Trimmed and drilled stitch holes, put a bit of decoration on the front piece and then gave it a dark brown antique stain. Chose this because I think when polished it will set the handle of the knife off nicely.

Probably have to put the pictures on in two lots.  The belt loop and retaining strap are not shown in the photos but are completed, all ready for the stitching.

2018-01-29 09.06.39 (800x450).jpg

2018-01-29 09.07.42 (800x450).jpg

2018-01-29 09.08.25 (800x450).jpg

2018-01-29 10.47.28 (800x450).jpg

Also probably about time I revealed the secret. Old Farrier is .... and I don't think he will be offended ... a bit of a 'nut' when it comes to snowdrops.  I therefore thought it appropriate to see if I could include some on the blade. A big BIG risk, because once it goes in the etching fluid there is no turning back and you never know just how it will turn out. Anyway I was pretty pleased. My wife imediately identified them as snowdrops. I sincerley hope OF approves.  See what y'alll think.

2018-01-29 11.27.15 (800x450).jpg

2018-01-28 17.47.55 (800x450).jpg

just love these "how to do it " posts making stuff from scratch...in awe of the leather skills................just hope it gives folk the courage to have a go themselves..........this is really good stuff..:good:

well done walker....(aka slasher walker")

If I remember, that leather is 3mm, maybe 4mm. I last purchased a half shoulder from Le Provo and that was the last piece ..just enough to do the job.   Mel/Lin sent me a couple of pieces of nice leather, in the hope I could use that.  I think probably treated ..waxed and it was too thin/flexible and I was not sure that it would shape up like the basic leather does.  I will try it on a small knife I have here, but couldn't risk it not working on this one.  It does block extremely well and I only just turn on the oven so it is warm. I leave the leather in the form and it then dries and hardens, about an hour does it. The form will have been in the clamps for at least 14hrs prior to that of course.  Same leather, you can see how thick from the photo.

2013-01-05 04.33.21 (800x534).jpg

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Nah!!!  Ditchy's turn next with this new super dooper machine he's installing:good::yes::yahoo:

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Shhhhush, you're not meant to mention that!:whistling:

keep yer knickers orn.....................im getting there.......i will be making knives gud enuff to cut butter ...you wait an see..

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Mel/Lin sent me a couple of pieces of nice leather,

From what I've seen of Lyn's superb work it appears that it is mainly done in Chrome tan - if you wish to tool/mold leather like you have done you need to use Oak tan/bridle leather.  This, however requires more treatment before use.