English Double 10 bore

grahamch

I have been left some money which l will get in the spring and would like to buy a quality double 10 bore of english or scottish make. 

Am looking for advice on where to start to look or advertise for one. 

Not too keen on the auction route but prefer to buy privately or from a dealer.

Any suggestions where to start looking other than Guntrader etc.

5 minutes ago, muncher said:

Snap. I've been looking for a while now good luck with your search. Look out for ones that have been jug choked , several about it depends on your budget,I'm still trying to get as.much info as possible to help with my choice.

Cheers. What do you mean by jug choked?

Snap. I've been looking for a while now good luck with your search. Look out for ones that have been jug choked , several about it depends on your budget,I'm still trying to get as.much info as possible to help with my choice.

From what I gathered,it's a gun with no or little choke, so they go behind the choke and open it up(remove metal) so when the shot goes past it the bore narrows ,

the theory is it gives it choke .

Edited by muncher

10 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

Muncher why would a jug choke be better than conventional choke????

I Meant ,beware of any that have had it done.

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Because you cannot put metal in to the muzzle so a jug choke improves the pattern, much like a tulip choke throws a very even pattern. 

Maybe, but in the one I tried it blew the pattern.

28 minutes ago, muncher said:

I Meant ,beware of any that have had it done.

Ok miss understood your comment thought you where recommending them.  

37 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Because you cannot put metal in to the muzzle so a jug choke improves the pattern, much like a tulip choke throws a very even pattern. 

Teagues do a very good job of fitting tubes back in or even their multi choke option and doesn't leave you with thin muzzles. 

A few points on English 10 bores.

Firstly I assume this is for wildfowl so you will most likely have to use non toxic shot. So, do not underestimate the cost and the fact you may have to load your own cartridges subject to the next point.

English 10 bores were originally 2 5/8 or 2 7/8 inch chambers. If longer they will have been re-proofed and definitely at 3.5 inches which is an Amercan thing originally. The latter will be easy to get cartridges for but the former probably have to load your own.

Chokes wil be up to you. I personally prefer less choke and a decent pattern shot at sensible ranges.

Lastly I have a Willam Evans of Purdey double hammer ten with damascus barrels by Lewis. 2 5/8 in chambers so will not take a heavy load but patterns brilliantly with just under 1.5 ozs 3's. Was going to sell but at present sitting in the collection. In practice I now only shoot 1.5 ozs in steel in my browning ten so not really an issue.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, Salopian said:

Be careful what you wish for in desiring a 10 bore !

Have you sorted out an adequate supply of cartridges? If so let everyone know.

Failing that consider an 8 bore . Cartridge supply not an issue.

I would have thought it more difficult to obtain 8 bore cartridges or the ingredients to make them.

I own three tens. I use factory loads and also load my own for them. I don't think I would ever bother with an 8. I reckon I can match the killing ranges of an 8 easily enough.

1 hour ago, Salopian said:

What factory loads are currently available for 10 bores please?

It was my understanding that Eley had ceased production ?

8 bores available in TMX from Gamebore and Industrial cases readily available for resizing.

Remington and Winchester steel can still be found, but not as readily available as they were a few years back. Gamebore Rhino steel (and some lead) are available in several shops in my area.

The post about English tens is not completely correct. A number of heavier guns were built with 3 1/4" chambers and there are some out there from the thirties with original 3 1/2" chambers sold by (to my knowledge) by Blands and W.C.Scott at least.

There are also one or two older hammer tens about which have been sleeved quite nicely and reproved for 3 1/2" - Robert Tilney at Beccles did one or two. They do tend to be on the light side though.

12 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Firstly I assume this is for wildfowl so you will most likely have to use non toxic shot. So, do not underestimate the cost and the fact you may have to load your own cartridges subject to the next point.

English 10 bores were originally 2 5/8 or 2 7/8 inch chambers. If longer they will have been re-proofed and definitely at 3.5 inches which is an Amercan thing originally. The latter will be easy to get cartridges for but the former probably have to load your own.

Chokes wil be up to you. I personally prefer less choke and a decent pattern shot at sensible ranges.

Lastly I have a Willam Evans of Purdey double hammer ten with damascus barrels by Lewis. 2 5/8 in chambers so will not take a heavy load but patterns brilliantly with just under 1.5 ozs 3's. Was going to sell but at present sitting in the collection. In practice I now only shoot 1.5 ozs in steel in my browning ten so not really an issue.

Good luck.

I have an 1896 hammer 10 bore by A.Gale. 3 1/2" chamber, choked 1/4 & 1/2, passed re-proof at 1200 bar. I'm shooting 1 1/2oz copper No.3 or the same in bismuth. Copper is cheaper than bismuth but supplies from Siarm have recently dried up. I'm going to start looking at 1 1/2oz steel in a polythene shot wrapper within a fully enclosed TPS wad.  I think the TPS wad alone would be sufficient to protect the barrels from shot contact but don't want to chance scoring the chokes.

6 hours ago, FatFreddysCat said:

I have an 1896 hammer 10 bore by A.Gale. 3 1/2" chamber, choked 1/4 & 1/2, passed re-proof at 1200 bar. I'm shooting 1 1/2oz copper No.3 or the same in bismuth. Copper is cheaper than bismuth but supplies from Siarm have recently dried up. I'm going to start looking at 1 1/2oz steel in a polythene shot wrapper within a fully enclosed TPS wad.  I think the TPS wad alone would be sufficient to protect the barrels from shot contact but don't want to chance scoring the chokes.

Buffer the steel shot with PSB and you will not get any damage to the wad and even better patterns.

20 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Good luck.

Would be looking for a 3.25 or 3.5 chamber if possible or 2 and 7/8 as last choice. Happy to try loading itm, nice shot or bismuth.Cost is not an issue and wont be using loads of cartridges. Holts often have short paper case lead loads for sale so will be ok for orkney