heat treating 01 steel

ditchman

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, la bala said:

I think we can safely say you got your wish on that one ditchman.

me and him never got on...........never spoke to me directly he would always speak thro' my mum...even tho we were sitting down to eat..........he was a nasty piece of work...never ever hit me...just mentally terrorised me all the time.........until i put an end to it when i was 20..i got him by the throat, found out he was a coward.. and told him his fortune...then left home

families are strange things eh !

1 minute ago, Old farrier said:

Got some bronze propeller shafts biggest is 1.1/8 across 

any good?

sounds good:good:..hang on to then until im set up ..

14 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Say how much you want and pm me your address and I can post it to you 

when i get set up ...or start to when i pick up the linisher next friday...i will be able to programme stuff and my needs...and you will be able to see where im a goin'..:good:

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

French chalk is best but ordinary blackboard chalk works ?

you have worked out the reason for Its application ?

stop the hot filings sticking to the grits and clogging the belt up.......................??

could try anti spatter spray from MIG welding....what do you rekon.?

Edited by ditchman

On 26/01/2018 at 10:39, la bala said:

Or the diff in an old Fordson tractor.

I got someone looking for some.

Hey ditchman, didnt come up with much bronze i am afraid, but if you need brass i got brass. The shaft is 44mm in diameter, it got a bit bent as it was taken to pieces with a 40 ton excavator :lol:. I do think the bush is bronze but there isnt much of it. If you decide to go brass give me a shout.

thumbnail_IMG_0507 brass.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0508brass1.jpg

loving these little pearls of wisdom coming out......................................just think WALKER........if you were doing some bronze when you butchered yer digit...you cud have reved sum up and cauterised the wound shut...like arni would have done :lol:

1 hour ago, la bala said:

Hey ditchman, didnt come up with much bronze i am afraid, but if you need brass i got brass. The shaft is 44mm in diameter, it got a bit bent as it was taken to pieces with a 40 ton excavator :lol:. I do think the bush is bronze but there isnt much of it. If you decide to go brass give me a shout.

thumbnail_IMG_0507 brass.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0508brass1.jpg

ok for brass i can get it easily and in the right size bar........i will start off with brass bar....mind you it will be a while yet as i wont pick the machine up till fri' ....then i need to do modifications to the flat bed and build jigs an' stuff...........i will post it all up so you can all see what a total mess im making of it...:lol:

24 minutes ago, ditchman said:

loving these little pearls of wisdom coming out......................................just think WALKER........if you were doing some bronze when you butchered yer digit...you cud have reved sum up and cauterised the wound shut...like arni would have done 

ok for brass i can get it easily and in the right size bar........i will start off with brass bar....mind you it will be a while yet as i wont pick the machine up till fri' ....then i need to do modifications to the flat bed and build jigs an' stuff...........i will post it all up so you can all see what a total mess im making of it...

Look forward to seeing your new kit.

i must change that pic' of myself and use that "gonk" as an avatar...................quite bright....i think my eyes are going to be sick.............

2 hours ago, Big Mat said:

I can have a hunt round at work for some phos bronze but i'm fairly sure we haven't got any ditchman!

I've had a change of job, come off the farm and I'm driving a lathe instead now :)

does it corner well...?

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 22:21, ditchman said:

what i want is the cylinder head off an AEC Matador...........(think they were bronze)...........the stuff is really expensive....probley have to do with Brass....or nick a couple of Henry Moore sculptures 

I made a few pieces for the henry moore school when I was in the foundry, does it have to be phosphor bronze? or will regular gun metal bronze suffice? I think I've got a few bits left lying around somewhere. just had a thought, the old bronze window latches on the steel crittal windows were often made of phosphor bronze.

also... could you use a washing machine motor? or would a petrol motor do? i'm trying to wangle an old countax ride on mower from dad, the thing is a bit rotten but the engine is good, I was going to make a mini tractor puller or a dragtor using a bike engine.

Edited by Paddy Galore!

really need to see the colour more than anything else...dont need stuff at the moment...still pulling all the bits together, pick up the linisher on fri' then i have to check bearings and drill and tap some holes in the table to raise it..............think i have got the offer of a motor here 1.5hp which should be fine..............once i start getting stuff here i will post it up with pics...then you will see what im up to

cheers

ditch