Garage/workshop ideas

walshie

I'm just in the process of having my old rickety garage/workshop knocked down and rebuilt with cavity walls, an up and over door, an insulated roof, windows along the opposite wall to the door and a log burner

The old one was workbenches round the outside which seems a waste of space. I won't be keeping a car in there permanently, but I need to keep space for 3 motorbikes and space to put a car in there if I want to work on it now and again.

Is there any sites to give me idea on how best to utilise space and make my man-cave as space-efficient as possible?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have three large cupboards as well, but got rid and opted for overhead shelves on one side Other side has racking and two roll cab/ centre box / top box stacks. There is also a service trolley not in shot.

Long way off finished, but my advice would be to utilise overhead storage and wall racks / cupboards. Even the overhead storage has slots for cordless drills / impact drivers - hanging up side down.

a1.jpg

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

I used to have three large cupboards as well, but got rid and opted for overhead shelves on one side Other side has racking and two roll cab/ centre box / top box stacks. There is also a service trolley not in shot.

Long way off finished, but my advice would be to utilise overhead storage and wall racks / cupboards. Even the overhead storage has slots for cordless drills / impact drivers - hanging up side down.

a1.jpg

I like that. :good:

Wall space is often overlooked. 

Couple of tips (more general than space/storage);

1. Make sure security is good.  GOOD quality doors, locks, bolts.  Additional bolts for 'up and over' doors.  Consider bars on windows (if any) and also film to limit people looking in.  Consider also alarm if feasible.
  2. Consider beefing up roof structural parts to allow lifting (e.g. engine/gearbox if you are ever likely to do that.
  3. Fit PLENTY of lighting.  Nothing worse than trying to work on small/fiddly things in a poor light
  4. Floor treatment/sealing to prevent dust and make easier to mop up spills.
  5. LOTS of power sockets.  Not only will you likely use them, not having trailing cables removes trip hazards.
  6. Finally, it is probably too much, but a pit is useful.
Edited by JohnfromUK

Couple of tips (more general than space/storage);

1. Make sure security is good.  GOOD quality doors, locks, bolts.  Additional bolts for 'up and over' doors.  Consider bars on windows (if any) and also film to limit people looking in.  Consider also alarm if feasible.
  2. Consider beefing up roof structural parts to allow lifting (e.g. engine/gearbox if you are ever likely to do that.
  3. Fit PLENTY of lighting.  Nothing worse than trying to work on small/fiddly things in a poor light
  4. Floor treatment/sealing to prevent dust and make easier to mop up spills.
  5. LOTS of power sockets.  Not only will you likely use them, not having trailing cables removes trip hazards.
  6. Finally, it is probably too much, but a pit is useful.

1. Good advice - I bricked up two windows and a side door, following a break in. I got - lucky dogs frightened them off before anything was taken. I fitted a mega lock on the door and a proper house alarm.
  2. Did this at a neighbours garage.
  3. Just fitted an anglepoise lamp, as I realised my existing lighting was partially blocked out by the overhead storage.
  4. I should do this.
  5. Just fitted a couple more, plus 4 gang extensions for all the battery chargers.
  6. Installed one in my neighbours. we tossed a coin to see who was having the pit - no point in two. He won, got the pit, but refused to adequately waterproof it. It leaked and eventually got filled in.
Edited by Gordon R

I have another couple of garage related questions regarding the log burner. There is an old freestanding log burner in the old garage and a few flue fittings. I intend to clean it up, paint it and use it.

20150511_160928.jpg.181a7be850fd7802b58809c03f865bc5.jpg

The builder has said if I tell him where I want the flue, he will leave a hole for it rather than having to knock a hole out at a later date. It's a 6" flue and I'll probably use the old (single skin) flue inside and get some new twin wall for outside.

My 3 questions are:

Is it best to go through the wall at 90 degrees or 45?

Does the hole have to have some kind of sleeve?

There is a roll of flue liner here. Does that need to be used with the single skin flue?

Edited by walshie

1 hour ago, figgy said:

45 degrees is always better and straight up out the roof through a vent plate is better.

If you are completely rebuilding put a higher roof and some dormer windows in and make the loft space your man cave and workshop below.

I might go the roof option actually. Cheers.

A higher roof is not an option unfortunately as it would block the view. :good: 

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 09:21, ferguson_tom said:

Old kitchen units work well and keep everything tidy. You can often find someone giving away kitchens for free as long as you remove them yourself. Keeps everything nice and tidy and offers loads of storage.

I did this, got an old kitchen off free cycle the old boy even helped me move it with his pick up, my garage is still a mess though.? 

On 1/24/2018 at 19:49, walshie said:

I'm just in the process of having my old rickety garage/workshop knocked down and rebuilt with cavity walls, an up and over door, an insulated roof, windows along the opposite wall to the door and a log burner

The old one was workbenches round the outside which seems a waste of space. I won't be keeping a car in there permanently, but I need to keep space for 3 motorbikes and space to put a car in there if I want to work on it now and again.

Is there any sites to give me idea on how best to utilise space and make my man-cave as space-efficient as possible?

Might be worth adding some ground anchors for the 3 peds..

Just now, JohnfromUK said:

If a garage isn't a bit of a mess, you aren't using it correctly.

Your not wrong!! I'm having to reduce the size of it though because were planning on extending the house but typically the bit that has to go is where the gas and electrics are, more expenses yeah ? and the roof leaks, gonna be busy.

9 minutes ago, Cosd said:

I have got things really wrong in my house!! I have a double width garage with 2 electric up and over doors and the wife is planning to make another Living room out of it!! You really don't want any advice from me :lol:

Luckily ours isn't attached to the house. I doubt she'd want to put her wellies on to go to the new living room. :)