steel our not

bode.boden

been offered berreta 302 would it be ok to put steel shot through her with 1/2 choke our less cant seem to get a direct answer yes our no so asking for advice from th experts on here ps this would be my first semi auto and have not got limited funds and price seems ok thanks in advance for any replays 

6 minutes ago, bode.boden said:

here's a new one for me take choke out altogether put end cap back on and will be fine for steel is this true 

If you mean nothing in there (i.e. threads exposed) NO - a BIG NO

If you mean a tube with no choke (e.g. cylinder) that is OK, but never shoot a gun without a choke tube in place.

39 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

If you mean a tube with no choke (e.g. cylinder) that is OK, but never shoot a gun without a choke tube in place.

thanks 

40 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

thanks for reply 

3 hours ago, ant1 said:

as far as i am aware if your barrels are not steel proof you can still put normal steel cart through it down to no 4 and up to 36gms and no more than 1/2 choke

I have heard that kind of tripe spouted many a time. I would use ANY cartridge that the gun is chambered for, and certainly not limit myself to half choke.

27 minutes ago, motty said:

I have heard that kind of tripe spouted many a time. I would use ANY cartridge that the gun is chambered for, and certainly not limit myself to half choke.

call it tripe if you want, but i personally  would not put a 55gms steel shot bb,s through a full choke not proofed for steel shot

4 hours ago, bode.boden said:

here's a new one for me take choke out altogether put end cap back on and will be fine for steel is this true 

It would be safe if you did not fit the cap as no choke threads , but the threads could get damaged then if you banged the barrel .

I would not do it run it with a choke in all the time , fitting the collar the danger of wad hanging up is there effectively a partial obstruction risk .

If you go on the BASC website you can download their information paper on steel shot.

You can use Standard steel through a Beretta 302, asuming it`s in good mechanical condition and the shot size is not larger than no.3, through ANY CHOKE. When you`ve read the info. you`ll understand where the half choke business comes in. It is`nt with your proposed gun and Standard steel cartridges which are quite safe to use through any choke, including full.

My guerini (2 3/4 chambers) *specifically* specifies it is steel proof (not magnum obviously) BUT you cannot use more than 1/2 choke. It's written on the labels that came with the gun -- and I verified with CG. So someone somewhere knows about that sort of things and decided it was a bad idea?

I shoot RC3s 34g #3's and #1s with it (heaviest load I can find in  2 3/4") with 1/2 choke quite successfully.

13 hours ago, mudpatten said:

If you go on the BASC website you can download their information paper on steel shot.

You can use Standard steel through a Beretta 302, asuming it`s in good mechanical condition and the shot size is not larger than no.3, through ANY CHOKE. When you`ve read the info. you`ll understand where the half choke business comes in. It is`nt with your proposed gun and Standard steel cartridges which are quite safe to use through any choke, including full.

thanks for info will have a look cheers 

On 3 February 2018 at 16:28, Fen tiger said:

It would be safe if you did not fit the cap as no choke threads , but the threads could get damaged then if you banged the barrel .

I would not do it run it with a choke in all the time , fitting the collar the danger of wad hanging up is there effectively a partial obstruction risk .

thanks I will always have choke in 

1 hour ago, buze said:

My guerini (2 3/4 chambers) *specifically* specifies it is steel proof (not magnum obviously) BUT you cannot use more than 1/2 choke. It's written on the labels that came with the gun -- and I verified with CG. So someone somewhere knows about that sort of things and decided it was a bad idea?

I shoot RC3s 34g #3's and #1s with it (heaviest load I can find in  2 3/4") with 1/2 choke quite successfully.

I would still use steel with full chokes in that gun.