Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will you be able to repair the stock rather than replace it. There were a couple of articles in the American shooting sportsman magazine showing some badly smashed through the hand stocks that had been successfully repaired. From memory I think they replaced wood from the hand back saving on I letting at the head of the stock. 

PS thanks for the 2 stars it's a very long time since my last one

1 minute ago, Konor said:

Will you be able to repair the stock rather than replace it. There were a couple of articles in the American shooting sportsman magazine showing some badly smashed through the hand stocks that had been successfully repaired. From memory I think they replaced wood from the hand back saving on I letting at the head of the stock. 

PS thanks for the 2 stars it's a very long time since my last one

I’m afraid I’ve seen too many repaired stocks fail so I shall hopefully get a new one made to my measurements 

sympathetic with the age and type of gun 

obviously this is not a cost effective exercise 😂😂

On the plus side someone will hopefully still be getting pleasure from it 50 years from now thanks to your work. I have an old side by side over 100 years old and when I got it over 20 years ago wasn't as aware then as I am now that you are probably only one in a succession of owners of older firearms. 

That’s the plan and what I Hope for it there’s a massive amount of gunmakers history out there and some should be kept for others to enjoy 

the live pigeon gun is getting harder to find many suffered in the hands of Wildfowlers who utilised the strong design for firing heavy loads and the salt marshes took there toll on them

55 minutes ago, button said:

Do you think you will go to Portugal again for the new stock?

Probably not the euro and the pound are about level at the moment so the economic aspect is not so good as it was 🥺

and there is the British economy to consider now were getting out of Europe 🤔

hopefully find a uk based stocker 😉

34 minutes ago, London Best said:

Good for you, OF. It’s a pity more people don’t consider the British gun trade /British economy instead of buying new foreign guns.

Well to be fair (you’re newish on the forum) I tried the British gun trade for a bespoken stock and it was a nightmare thread was a few years ago hence the Portugal trip 

very enlightening it was to high quality and speedy service exactly what I wanted and at the time very competitive on the price 

as for buying foreign guns they are priced well and the quality is there
I have a few 

I can’t think of a competitive priced New British gun for the entry level shooter 
the entry level English gun source parts from Europe 

21 minutes ago, London Best said:

Interested how you found the man in Portugal? I would have thought Spain a more likely place?

Recommend by a member of the forum and as he makes and fits the stocks for most of the Olympic competitors guns I couldn’t see the need to go to Spain 

Italy has a very good reputation for the quality of stocks produced along with Turkey where most of the stock blanks come from 😊

45A9D544-0EFB-4198-ABFB-5BCF903A392C.jpeg

14D11F90-1416-4469-8125-4C5ABE0424D6.jpeg

Edited by Old farrier

12 hours ago, Pollen said:

Hi all, new to PW and recently picked up an AYA Yeoman 12g. Nice to keep the SxS going 😀

F1FC4FBF-BAFD-49D8-9C31-35C516C4B87D.jpeg

Good guns Yeomans ! Had mine opened to 1/2 both barrels and used it for crows and wildfowl to great effect.Really like the flat rib on them.

7 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Very nice thanks for posting the pictures 😊

are you using up some old Winchester shells:-)? 

To be honest I was trying to think where I was when I took the picture and it came to me. I was on a wild goose chase on some fields not too far from home and the cartridges were given to me but they are not old. I will take a picture of the box tomorrow as I had never seen them before.

7 hours ago, London Best said:

Harrycatcat1, what make is the old hammerless please?

It's a Russian Purdy (Baikal) that I paid sixty quid for and stained the wood with some stuff I had in the garage 🤣

9 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Is there any chance that the screw (pin) near your thumb needs checking for tightness? Old eyes here.

image.png

WE have a 20 bore one, and the top strap/iron is about 1/2 inch thick, and the Russians were not to careful on a tidy screw length, i am guessing Harrycats is the same. I was a bit worried about it holding water there /Rusting the screw, so i put a blob of tiger seal to just flush the hole off. it worked when i came to strip it for service last year, no trouble. .