Garden paving cost

Lloyd90

Any rough idea of cost of redoing the back garden? 

It is currently mostly laid to slab with 3 separate areas of grass, they’re in badly chosen places as two section of the grass don’t get enough light and are full of moss and the grass is dead. 

Id like to lift the slabs and have a large grasses area on one side and hopefully relay the slabs on another area so it is a better layout. 

Garden is 17ft x 27ft so not a big one. 

53 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Any rough idea of cost of redoing the back garden? 

It is currently mostly laid to slab with 3 separate areas of grass, they’re in badly chosen places as two section of the grass don’t get enough light and are full of moss and the grass is dead. 

Id like to lift the slabs and have a large grasses area on one side and hopefully relay the slabs on another area so it is a better layout. 

Garden is 17ft x 27ft so not a big one. 

Basically how long is a piece of string.....

You'll need very deep pockets. Best bet is to make it a summer project - and possibly using some of the time you spend on here. I find I lay off the forums a lot more in the summer whn I can get out and do gardening and other home improvements. A few hand tools and a bit of backache is the cheapest route by by far.

One key question is what the slabs are laid on.  If it is rubble/hardcore and sand to level, you will need to do quite a lot of work to make that good for grass, possibly bringing in topsoil.  There can be a lot of work involved, even in quite a small area.  Nice grass needs a very good well prepared free draining base that won't dry out either.

Half load of concrete around 90/100 quid ,wooden frame on the outside ,barrow it in and level with  a long piece of timber .If u want fancy make a wooden pattern and put whatever shape u like in it .Allow to "cure" for as long as u can .If you your base is soil go on free adds there,s always free hardcore /rubble to use as a base just flatten it down with a sledge hammer atb

turf to buy from good suppliers for good quality will be around £1.70 to £1.95 a sqm  top soil around 15 pound per ton  but topsoil don't go to far im a arborist and do landscaping problem is getting rid of the waste  involved and that's why so much fly tipping is about  as places have got fussy on what they will take in.  Like if i take up a lawn to put in a drive if the if the grass is still on the dirt i have to pay for it to go to landfill its works out cheaper some times to get a skip in for it. concrete if is got brix mixed in it they wont take it  it have to be separated and so on complete joke