what do you recon to this, legit?

itchy trigger

so  eventually yesterday put the sport on gumtree and preloved, got a text this morning asking me to email them which I did, got this in response,

Great! please consider it sold and remove the adverts online as i am willing to pay your asking price? because i need to buy it for my cousin asap as a surprise gift, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it, sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and I'm just recovering from heart surgery so I'm home-bound. can i earn your trust, hope i wont be disappointed? I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and cleared to your account and i'll pay you via PayPal today once you get back to me with your Paypal email and full name. Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now? Await your response.

so replied, face to face and cash only.

then got this

I’m sorry i am disabled and i have limited access to cash and other payment methods..so i can only pay via PayPal. You can setup a PayPal account at www.paypal.co.uk it's very safe and secure. Also it's very easy to set up within few minutes.

so replied, no way was I going to open a paypal account and to send me a cheque, then when its cleared they can have the motor, as yet no reply

Had an almost identical email when I was selling our caravan. In fact I had about 5 in various formats.

There are a lot of folk out there recovering from heart surgery and deafness. Also working abroard, in the army or on an oil rig that want to buy cars, caravans etc sight unseen.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

13 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Had an almost identical email when I was selling our caravan. In fact I had about 5 in various formats.

There are a lot of folk out there recovering from heart surgery and deafness. Also working abroard, in the army or on an oil rig that want to buy cars, caravans etc sight unseen.

Yup. the american marines seem to  spend all their time on gumtree and preloved looking for presents for relatives. 

1 minute ago, chrisjpainter said:

Yup. the american marines seem to  spend all their time on gumtree and preloved looking for presents for relatives. 

Surprisingly I had no scams from preloved and eventually sold it via preloved to someone. The only other place I advertised the caravan was Autotrader. Thats were all the scam emails came via.

It's a well known scam. You lose the car and the money. Oddly people still fall for it. Right up there with the estranged prince/political exile who need a a stranger's bank account to dump funds in or the bank manager that wants 20% etc etc. 

They never cease to stop trying it though so it must pay out 

6 hours ago, old'un said:

Would you care to enlighten us on how this scam works?

From confused.com:

The “I’m currently abroad but I can pay online” scam

Some fraudsters will try to buy and pay for your car using online payment methods, such as PayPal. They might even try to fool you by saying they work for a large, well-known company, hoping it will make them look more trustworthy.

Keep in mind that fraudsters will often ask very legitimate questions regarding the vehicle and its condition, so they sound more believable.

However, when it comes to payment, shortly after you close the deal you’ll receive a fake receipt masked as a genuine email from the online payment company. But in reality no money has been sent. 

The scammer will then ask you to ship the car or to organise a freight company to pick up the vehicle for them.

Another similar scam is when a buyer will claim they have paid but the online payment service provider (eg PayPal) is holding the money until you ship the car. 

Be wary of email receipts. Before you part with your car, make sure the money has reached your bank account.

As GingerCat notes above, you lose the money and the car.

Edited by CaptainBeaky