Snatching mullet

Hamster

Don't know whether it's strictly OK to post this as it obviously wasn't captured by myself but this kind of thing is right up my street. 😁 Not one for the purists but if you like eating them it sure beats waiting hours for one to bite 😊.

They have to come from the right water but I have tasted these side by side with bass and like Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall think they're at least as good if not better. 

How's that any different from hauling six mackerel out at a time with feathers and dumping them into a black bin then going back for more ? I've watched people do that on piers without a second thought about the suffocating fish, or are we suggesting foul hooking them causes more pain than yanking them out with the hooks lodged in their mouths ? 

I can think of a dozen field sports activities we do here that's no less "cruel" compared to that video. 

1 hour ago, Hamster said:

How's that any different from hauling six mackerel out at a time with feathers and dumping them into a black bin then going back for more ? I've watched people do that on piers without a second thought about the suffocating fish, or are we suggesting foul hooking them causes more pain than yanking them out with the hooks lodged in their mouths ? 

I can think of a dozen field sports activities we do here that's no less "cruel" compared to that video. 

Foul hooking will inevitably lead to wounded fish, the wound would often lead to infection its also illegal 

https://www.anglersmail.co.uk/news/foul-hooking-angler-pays-1000-72800

9 hours ago, islandgun said:

Foul hooking will inevitably lead to wounded fish, the wound would often lead to infection its also illegal 

https://www.anglersmail.co.uk/news/foul-hooking-angler-pays-1000-72800

I am certain that's true.

But then we throw back hooked fish that have holes in their mouths, also not aware if any research has been done to see whether or not some fish suffer partial foul hooking when nibbling baits. I'm sure I watched a River Cottage episode involving bass and mullet being speared, not convinced every single fish fired at gets either killed or clean missed. 

There are prolly a million birds flying around the country today with pellets lodged in their bodies, pursuit of prey is "cruel". The chap explained it was LEGAL in his state. 

20 minutes ago, Hamster said:

I am certain that's true.

But then we throw back hooked fish that have holes in their mouths, also not aware if any research has been done to see whether or not some fish suffer partial foul hooking when nibbling baits. I'm sure I watched a River Cottage episode involving bass and mullet being speared, not convinced every single fish fired at gets either killed or clean missed. 

There are prolly a million birds flying around the country today with pellets lodged in their bodies, pursuit of prey is "cruel". The chap explained it was LEGAL in his state. 

I thought you were suggesting doing it in this country. pursuit of prey is without a doubt cruel which is why we try to minimise wounding by equipping ourselves as well as we are able. Killing millions of farm animals a day is also cruel !

17 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I thought you were suggesting doing it in this country. pursuit of prey is without a doubt cruel which is why we try to minimise wounding by equipping ourselves as well as we are able. Killing millions of farm animals a day is also cruel !

No wasn't suggesting we it try it here and the chap is clearly American anyway. 

I have myself shot several in an outing with a Diana 34 while standing/balancing on a pedal boat in the Caspian sea 😄 , they were meant for the table and I nearly fell in once or twice so the meal was justly deserved. 

They do this in the Mediterranean, guys line the bridges with these shark hooks and then strike upwards when a fish swims above. Found it rather unpleasant to be honest driving hooks into the sides of the fish. I know mullet can be a tricky fish to catch conventionally, which I guess is what drives them to do it.

I have witnessed this many times, I lived in southern Spain where locals and some other eastern Europeans regularly fish with large triples , they call it 'jagging' ,using a beach caster and simply pumping the hooks back through fish holding areas to false hook fish, some very large mullet were landed in this way while I watched, 

Also in the ports along the Mediterranean coast I watched some old Spanish fishermen catching large grey mullet with a weighted flat piece of wood  attached to a long hand line, mounted on top of the wood was a huge shark hook as sharp as a needle, dead fish would be strapped to the wood under the hook point, as the mullet took a bite the line would be jerked back impaling the mullet on the hook, it was very effective and put food on the mans table, 

I think this goes on all around the world, not in the name of sport but more subsistence living on available food sources, as a sport fisher its not something I would do but if your starving who am I to judge.

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 22:23, billytheghillie said:

That is so cruel, only in America.

As others have said, this is common in parts of Europe, they even use lures like upside down pineapples and snag multiple fish on trailing hooks.

I think its barbaric and many fish are left injured in the water.

Mullet are  not that difficult to catch, think roach tactics, float , size 12 hooks and bread flake bait.
Mashed bread suspended in a net will attract the fish.
If fishing from a pier or high structure use a drop net, or from a low structure or the bank (in estuaries) a long handled landing net works.
I have regularly caught them in the Medway and around Kent harbours, Best fish was just over 7lbs, but many between 4lb and 6lb.
Never knowingly eaten one.

• 1 month later...
On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 16:51, lakeside1000 said:

I have witnessed this many times, I lived in southern Spain where locals and some other eastern Europeans regularly fish with large triples , they call it 'jagging' ,using a beach caster and simply pumping the hooks back through fish holding areas to false hook fish, some very large mullet were landed in this way while I watched, 

Also in the ports along the Mediterranean coast I watched some old Spanish fishermen catching large grey mullet with a weighted flat piece of wood  attached to a long hand line, mounted on top of the wood was a huge shark hook as sharp as a needle, dead fish would be strapped to the wood under the hook point, as the mullet took a bite the line would be jerked back impaling the mullet on the hook, it was very effective and put food on the mans table, 

I think this goes on all around the world, not in the name of sport but more subsistence living on available food sources, as a sport fisher its not something I would do but if your starving who am I to judge.

I thought that was how they caught octopus with the wood....