Any roofers out there?

Townie

Good morning all. I've tried a couple of roofers for a small job (probably a day's work) and no one seems interested. One had a look and promised to get back and I had an exchange of texts with another who said he'd let me know. We've had jobs done before, so not a problem with access and so on.

Is this a bad time of year or something of the sort? South London, if that's relevant. 

Any advice would be helpful, thank you.

2 hours ago, Townie said:

Good morning all. I've tried a couple of roofers for a small job (probably a day's work) and no one seems interested. One had a look and promised to get back and I had an exchange of texts with another who said he'd let me know. We've had jobs done before, so not a problem with access and so on.

Is this a bad time of year or something of the sort? South London, if that's relevant. 

Any advice would be helpful, thank you.

That’s the trouble with small jobs I’m afraid; anyone who has enough work on isn't interested as small jobs are often more trouble than they’re worth.  

Yup .a 1 day job is most likley to attract someone who isnt very busy .

And they arent busy for usually good reasons. 

You might be better trying to get a local jobbing carpenter to do it .Some one like me .i work 5 days a week for a firm .but do my own stuff on the weekend when i want to. 

But im too far from you so sorry. 

Well heres my take on it.....

I now just dont fix roofs unless its on a job were on....heres why......

No matter how much i charge you its not enough.....most people think oh its just ridge/tile needs fixed and they charged me £100 for 20mins ive been robbed....well i value my life at more than that.....truth is YOU the customer should be paying for every roof to be scaffolded even if its only for 20mins work but you WONT.....you want to bung someone few quid to FIX your roof.....why....those days are gone the risk is just to great...someone mentions the 3rd floor....id expect the scaffold alone to be at least a grand to start.....sometimes people need to realize what "just fixing a roof" actually means and involves......

"Falling dosent actually hurt you its the sudden stop at the end thats the b####."

9 hours ago, team tractor said:

4 months just to have a ridge put on for me. I’d do it myself but I’m working every hour I can . 

£50 for 15 minutes work but saved me so much hassle . 

On ridges they tend to build a collection up and do them on one day doing the rounds.

what exactly are you after doing ?

With your luck you would fall off the roof, almost a guarantee. 🤣🤣

Thanks for the responses.

It's damp getting into the ceiling of an upstairs room via the chimney breast. It happened years ago and we had the flashing replaced, so my thinking is either the flashing again, or pointing. A tile problem isn't out of the question, but it's in an awkward place so I can't have a look in the attic.

The annoying thing is that I understand these jobs are a pain and I always explain that it's probably half a day and I don't expect people to drop everything and do it. I even got to the point of agreeing someone's day rate, or half a day if that's what was needed, plus the cost of a tower, but he went off the radar.

I'll carry on looking!