Spent Shells

pavman

If I have this right you should be able to click the link and view what I came across when out this weekend. I picked up 86 shot shells from a hide site of another Pigeon shooter. Looks like they had been left as they had been ejected, been in the headland since feb it makes my blood boil

http://img131.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo0022th3.jpg

Whenever I have shared shooting land with other people, that I can't convince to pick their cartridges up, I make a point of asking the landowner to have a word with them.

I take this approach for any misdemeanors, like leaving gates open, etc.

This may seem like a form of "sneaking", but its never been taken in that way and it establishes that its not me leaving the mess around.

I have lost shooting in the past through the antics of others, when the Landowner has withdrawn all permissions, as he didn't know who the specific culprit was.

This really ****** me off. I was at our local clay shoot ( a small wood) and our group was waiting at a stand to shoot. One guy was at the stand and fired off his 10 carts. All 10 were ejected onto the ground and he made no effort to put them in the bin provided as he fired each pair off. After he had finshed he just ******** off and left one of his group to pick up the empties. More fool the guy for picking them up but the arrogance of these people annoys me. Do they really think that everyone else is there to walk around after them? I believe is shows up their day to day attitude.

i always have picked up my spent cartridges just out of respect. and i found it got really difficult to find them sometimes in a long headland so i now put a sack or bag down in the corner of the hide and the carts go staright in there. it also makes it quicker to tidy up after a days decoying.

i also get quite frustrated when people leave spent carts around. and if i see any1 do it i will make a point of telling them no matter hu there with.

cherz

charlie

in the winter i go shooting in the woods with a young lad, he never picks up his shells they are all around him and all over the wood. i keep on to him to pick them up he will when im there but when im not there he will leave them. i all ways pick up on all my farms i shoot.

I PICKED UP ABOUT 120 SHELLS IF NOT MORE THE OTHER DAY TOLD THE FARMER TO HAVE A WORD WITH THE GUY WHOS LEAVEING THEM ON THE FLOOR,AS IT GIVES US SHOOTERS A BAD NAME ,,FARMER NEVER SEEMED BOTHERED,TOLD HIM THESES NEW SHELLS DONT ROT LIKE THE OLD ONES DID ,,

some farmers dont mind some i shoot for dont mind, but i allways pick up.only i shoot the farms so no shells left there,

Same on one of my permissions, I've actually followed 2 Portugese rough shooters picking up there emptys when I approached them (in a friendly manner) & handed him his freshly shot emptys, he denied they were his :lol: when I pointed out the exact brand on his cartridge belt he had no choice to take them from me :good:

I've no doubt in my mind he just slung them in the hedge when I was out of sight :good: It seriously winds me up <_<

I'm always picking up emptys after these ******* on one occasion I picked up around 100 from a hide they'd been using & emptied them over his van the next time he was over there ;)

Mentioning it to the farmer & he dosn't seem to care :)

SS

in the winter i go shooting in the woods with a young lad, he never picks up his shells they are all around him and all over the wood. i keep on to him to pick them up he will when im there but when im not there he will leave them. i all ways pick up on all my farms i shoot.

I would say to him if you find any more spent shells "YOU WILL NOT COME AGAIN"

<_<

Dave k

Same on one of my permissions, I've actually followed 2 Portugese rough shooters picking up there emptys when I approached them (in a friendly manner) & handed him his freshly shot emptys, he denied they were his :lol: when I pointed out the exact brand on his cartridge belt he had no choice to take them from me :good:

I've no doubt in my mind he just slung them in the hedge when I was out of sight :good: It seriously winds me up <_<

I'm always picking up emptys after these ******* on one occasion I picked up around 100 from a hide they'd been using & emptied them over his van the next time he was over there ;)

Mentioning it to the farmer & he dosn't seem to care :)

SS

More to the point what is a Portugese bloke doing shooting over here?

Don't tell me they are even infiltrating the shooting land as well?

I PICKED UP ABOUT 120 SHELLS IF NOT MORE THE OTHER DAY TOLD THE FARMER TO HAVE A WORD WITH THE GUY WHOS LEAVEING THEM ON THE FLOOR,AS IT GIVES US SHOOTERS A BAD NAME ,,FARMER NEVER SEEMED BOTHERED,TOLD HIM THESES NEW SHELLS DONT ROT LIKE THE OLD ONES DID ,,

some farmers dont mind some i shoot for dont mind, but i allways pick up.only i shoot the farms so no shells left there,

This is why I find it a bit daft that ELEY launched the Real Tree Cartidge. WHY OH WHY OH WHY make a green cartidge...

I ended up buying 500 of them because my shop didnt have my usual shells in...............makes it that much more difficult to see inbetween the laid barley and mud.........

OK eley,,,,stick em in a real tree box...........but make the outer red or orange.....

I've never left a spent cartridge behind. Sometimes if I'm shooting quickly I will use the ejectors providing my cartridges are landing in the open so I can find them. Otherwise they are ejected into my hand and popped into my pocket. Anyone incapable of doing this does not deserve to be trusted with a firearm. :(

I sympathise with the semi users but I have a suggestion. :lol: I think I saw for sale somewhere in the shooting mags a while back an extendable stick (the size of a pencil when not extended) with a magnet on the end which will speed up the process of collecting spent cartridges. Although I don't know at what range it will pick them up at so may not be of much use if you can't actually see the cartridge.

However, plenty of people are quick to moan about spent cases left lying around (and rightly so) but I wonder if any of these people use plastic wads when an identical fibre load is available... :yes:

FM :lol:

I'm with you guys. It really cheeses me of to find empty shells everywhere. My mate I shoot with is 73. It took me a long time to convince him to pick up his empties (probably because he remembers the days of paper shells) but he does now.

We also share some land we shoot over and the other blokes never pick up their empties :)

If an old timer can change why can't others!

I've never left a spent cartridge behind. Sometimes if I'm shooting quickly I will use the ejectors providing my cartridges are landing in the open so I can find them. Otherwise they are ejected into my hand and popped into my pocket. Anyone incapable of doing this does not deserve to be trusted with a firearm. :)

I sympathise with the semi users but I have a suggestion. :huh: I think I saw for sale somewhere in the shooting mags a while back an extendable stick (the size of a pencil when not extended) with a magnet on the end which will speed up the process of collecting spent cartridges. Although I don't know at what range it will pick them up at so may not be of much use if you can't actually see the cartridge.

However, plenty of people are quick to moan about spent cases left lying around (and rightly so) but I wonder if any of these people use plastic wads when an identical fibre load is available... :good:

FM ;)

Thats one of my pet hates PLASTIC WADS we always pick up after ourselves and if we do see any empties laying around we know we have had visitors,we even pick up the wads when we see them because they soon build up in the driven areas and if we dont they will still be there 12 months later.

:P D2D

I've never left a spent cartridge behind. Sometimes if I'm shooting quickly I will use the ejectors providing my cartridges are landing in the open so I can find them. Otherwise they are ejected into my hand and popped into my pocket. Anyone incapable of doing this does not deserve to be trusted with a firearm. :)

I've used the ejectors when i've had to reload quickly but i tilt and break the gun so they eject into the side of the blind/net, that way the hide catches the shells and keeps them in a small area.

• 2 weeks later...

I always try to pick up mine even though one of my farmers says he is not that botherd. The trouble i find now i mainly use a semi is finding them especially when walking with the hedge on the right when after the bunnys. What i need is either dayglo carts or some sort of bag fixed to the side of me gun :) i sometimes find them a few weeks later and pick them up then