TIGHTCHOKE

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, oowee said:

🤣 Oh please. Work for a salary and hours can be meaningless. When I was self employed it was the easiest ride of my life far easier than working for the Government. Pay rates were three times the level (although a lot of time was not chargeable). Downside for me was keeping up to date with billing, tax and expenses. 

We work in vastly different industries,  contracting in engineering pays more than paye, otherwise there would be no incentive,  but it works both ways. 

A lot of companies make you work as a contractor to make sure you can do the job, it covers busy periods or sick, and often brings in new ideas.

Massive difference between claiming what you're told you can and say Google or Amazon.

But the idea that folk who work are spongers? Can't get my head around that one.

2 hours ago, SpringDon said:

Self employed average earnings are below average employee earnings. Average self employed earnings have fallen since 1998, in the same period those of employees have risen. 

Tax evasion is and always has been illegal. To suggest that self employment is synonymous with tax evasion displays a profound ignorance. And no, I’m not self employed. Pal.

I always thought you two were amongst the more rational on here, but no, just more demagogues.

Apologies if my response came across a bit tardy, I'd just stood in a mental downpour for 10 minutes waiting to get on a plane and then they closed the airport temporarily due to the weather. Was not exactly high on the happy side of life when I replied...

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Its brilliant isn't it,  some jobs might be a 12 month contract and you have to work through an agency,  but you're a sponger 🤣🤣

Don't forget you can be finished anytime,  I love how people who have never worked temporary contracts or set up limited companies because that's what the job demands moan about tax dodging.

Working paye is much more straightforward and simple, but you won't get far if your not willing to take risks.

You know what say about assuming. For what it's worth I worked for several years with a "temporary" contract under an agency in a relatively junior position whilst I self-funded a HNC and then three quarters of a part time degree under day release where I lost a days pay and still needed to exceed 37.5 hours per week before overtime was paid at any kind of premium rate. For two of the three years I was a contractor self-funding the degree I set-up and was operating as a Ltd company - just before the first round of IR35 rules came about.

Just now, KB1 said:

Rain stopped play brain  Brilliant👍

Not exactly, suggesting that PAYE is a gravy train was a bit of a stretch, no?

1 minute ago, Raja Clavata said:

You know what say about assuming. For what it's worth I worked for several years with a "temporary" contract under an agency in a relatively junior position whilst I self-funded a HNC and then three quarters of a part time degree under day release where I lost a days pay and still needed to exceed 37.5 hours per week before overtime was paid at any kind of premium rate. For two of the three years I was a contractor self-funding the degree I set-up and was operating as a Ltd company - just before the first round of IR35 rules came about.

Brilliant,  lots of hard work and long days I imagine,  and did you claim what you were able to? None of my business but I hope you did, the stories I've heard from people before IR 35 came in and things they claimed for seem crazy compared to now a days. 

14 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Not exactly, suggesting that PAYE is a gravy train was a bit of a stretch, no?

Think you've got the wrong poster😳

9 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Brilliant,  lots of hard work and long days I imagine,  and did you claim what you were able to? None of my business but I hope you did, the stories I've heard from people before IR 35 came in and things they claimed for seem crazy compared to now a days. 

I think a lot depends on your accountant, I even used to argue with mine as to whether or not I could claim mileage going to a "permanent" place of work as a "temporary contractor", to be honest it was manic so I didn't have time to think about it too much but I know there were a lot of fears over IR35 at the time. I transitioned to salaried as it came into effect - the degree was needed to get a salary role but the rules changed when Ford spun their components division out (Visteon). Spawn #1 arrived midway through the degree too 😕 

4 minutes ago, KB1 said:

Think you've got the wrong poster😳

You commented on my reply to another poster, I had assumed you'd read the other posters comments, hence me referencing the gravy train. But hey, ho, touche and all that (regarding my earlier comment to Mice about assumptions) 🙂 

4 hours ago, oowee said:

It is not beyond the tax system to disallow loans between director and company. To disallow dividend payments paid as salary.  To look at mortgage applications where 3 years of profits are made and for every other year the company returns no profit. Corbyn is right to look to tackle these sponging low life. If labour has the ability to see such a noble proposal through to delivery is another matter. 

Self employed, sponging low life....how ****ing dare you!!

I have been working non stop since leaving school at 16 in 1978. Left school with no qualifications. Never been out of work. First 25 years as a permie in 3 organisations and the last 14 working for myself as a contractor. Never missed a tax payment from 1978 until now 

No holiday pay, no sickness pay, no pension, no healthcare...you don’t work you don’t get paid

wind your neck in 

11 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I think a lot depends on your accountant, I even used to argue with mine as to whether or not I could claim mileage going to a "permanent" place of work as a "temporary contractor", to be honest it was manic so I didn't have time to think about it too much but I know there were a lot of fears over IR35 at the time. I transitioned to salaried as it came into effect - the degree was needed to get a salary role but the rules changed when Ford spun their components division out (Visteon). Spawn #1 arrived midway through the degree too 😕 

You commented on my reply to another poster, I had assumed you'd read the other posters comments, hence me referencing the gravy train. But hey, ho, touche and all that (regarding my earlier comment to Mice about assumptions) 🙂 

My bad………   It was freezing outside just now🥴

26 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

depends on your accountant, I even used to argue with mine as to whether or not I could claim mileage going to a "permanent" place of work as a "temporary contractor", to be honest it was manic so I didn't have time to think about it too much but I know there were a lot of fears over IR35 at the tim

So you claimed what you could/were told to, the same as many others will, but now it's wrong?

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

So you claimed what you could/were told to, the same as many others will, but now it's wrong?

If you've actually read what I wrote earlier then I'm surprised by the question to be honest. There is no problem playing by the rules, my grievance is with those who are tearing the proverbial out of it and making bogus claims. Again I'm surprised this needs explanation / qualification.

26 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

If you've actually read what I wrote earlier then I'm surprised by the question to be honest. There is no problem playing by the rules, my grievance is with those who are tearing the proverbial out of it and making bogus claims. Again I'm surprised this needs explanation / qualification.

I've skipped back through, you were saying about tax evasion? When you've been there worn the T shirt,  claiming for mileage you didn't think you should? I may have got mixed up?

I'm sure there are plenty out there who are tearing the proverbial as you say, but the ones the government should be going after are the Googles or Amazon size companies. 

22 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

He's just misunderstood. 😂

No Gordon, you appear to be the one who misunderstands on quite a frequent basis. And I understood perfectly well where Mice was trying to go with it, although he now appears to be the one admitting confusion.

Do you really have nothing better to do than repeatedly troll my PW - get a life man!

7 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I've skipped back through, you were saying about tax evasion? When you've been there worn the T shirt,  claiming for mileage you didn't think you should? I may have got mixed up?

I'm sure there are plenty out there who are tearing the proverbial as you say, but the ones the government should be going after are the Googles or Amazon size companies. 

It was my accountant that was saying I shouldn't claim for the mileage and subsequently warning I definitely couldn't after IR35 came into force, but I know plenty who still did.

Regarding the Google and Amazon size companies - so you are aligned with the EU views on this and the French in particular and don't care what Trump says / does to counter it?

Whilst I agree the above do need to be brought to task, I don't see why sole traders, Ltd co's and other SME should not also be made to pay their share too - why do you think it should be the large ones the government go after?

1 hour ago, Hammeronhammeroff said:

Self employed, sponging low life....how ******* dare you!!

I have been working non stop since leaving school at 16 in 1978. Left school with no qualifications. Never been out of work. First 25 years as a permie in 3 organisations and the last 14 working for myself as a contractor. Never missed a tax payment from 1978 until now 

No holiday pay, no sickness pay, no pension, no healthcare...you don’t work you don’t get paid

wind your neck in 

You have lost me on that one. What are you on about?

Just now, Raja Clavata said:

why do you think it should be the large ones the government go after?

Mathematics?

6 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

So is it a case of the further right you go the better the memes get? 😛 

I don't think so. Just that those right of the serious left, probably therefore including centrists, tend to produce funnier memes.