Pin's too busy..!!!

Catamong

I know you're all wondering where Pin has got to tonight, all I can say is that he shared a hide with me today on wheat stubble near St Albans, it was a pretty slow start this morning, just the odd bird or two every 10 minutes, but having recce'd the field the day before in the late afternoon, I knew it would produce later on.

Sure enough, from about 2pm, they were streaming in from all points of the compass, Pin was shooting really well with the 1/2 choke Rhino in his Beretta 303, absolutely zapping virtually every bird that came within 40 yards of the pattern.

We packed up just after 4pm, I knew we'd already comfortably broken the ton, after we'd picked up the towered birds around the field we counted 126 woodies, (plus a couple of silly ferals who kept annoying us by coming back time and again over the deeks.!)

All in all a great day, I don't think Pin's had a day quite like that, he's obviously still too busy breasting all of those birds to come on the forum..??

Well shot Matey, a good time had by both of us..!! :blush::good:

Cat.

P.S. - I think Pin may post some piccies later, his camera was on the blink so I'm not sure how they'll come out..?? :blush::blush:

I know you're all wondering where Pin has got to tonight, all I can say is that he shared a hide with me today on wheat stubble near St Albans, it was a pretty slow start this morning, just the odd bird or two every 10 minutes, but having recce'd the field the day before in the late afternoon, I knew it would produce later on.

Sure enough, from about 2pm, they were streaming in from all points of the compass, Pin was shooting really well with the 1/2 choke Rhino in his Beretta 303, absolutely zapping virtually every bird that came within 40 yards of the pattern.

We packed up just after 4pm, I knew we'd already comfortably broken the ton, after we'd picked up the towered birds around the field we counted 126 woodies, (plus a couple of silly ferals who kept annoying us by coming back time and again over the deeks.!)

All in all a great day, I don't think Pin's had a day quite like that, he's obviously still too busy breasting all of those birds to come on the forum..??

Well shot Matey, a good time had by both of us..!! :blush::good:

Cat.

P.S. - I think Pin may post some piccies later, his camera was on the blink so I'm not sure how they'll come out..?? :blush::blush:

I sat in a field for 3 hours for 2 pigeon and a blackie.....

I don't know about "the comedy look" on the Mrs face :blush:

There we are having a nice family BBQ with our 3 year old niece & nephew then Pin turns up & dumps 120 plus pigeons over my patio.

I called in reinforcements & the Peltman, never one to pass up the opportunity to get his hands bloody & some free meat came over to give us a hand.

Pin & my brother in law clipping the wings off, me & Pelty peeling pigeons, all 120 breasted, washed, & packaged in about 2 hours :blush:

The looks on Peltys Mrs, my Mrs & her sister was priceless :blush::good:

And the grief I got when everyone left was hilarious

The Mrs " this isn't the local ******* abbattoirs" :mad::lol:

Well done Cat & Pin on what sounds like a cracking day, even if I was left out of the equation :lol:

SS

Edited by Axe

Well, what can I say a magic day!

Cat phoned and asked if me and SS would like a day on the pigeons over his way, no need to ask me twice! Sadly I knew SS was out of the equation due to football (Arsenal 1st game of the season) and family commitments. I didn't mention it because I knew he couldn't make it, not sure if I did the right thing there or not :blush:

Anyhow I realised in the morning packing the truck I needed my floaters, left them on one of my permissions, and they'd been run over by the hedge cutters :good: Asked SS to lend his and I started getting grief for going shooting when he was stuck at football! He was having a hell of a morning with some mental hippy types camping with their dog on his shoot scaring all the birds :mad:

Got to Cat's for just after 9 and loaded up, at the field we would shoot for about 9.30. Not many birds about but Cat was positive there were hundreds about and we drove in and set up with a bale as backdrop almost in the middle of the field. No sooner had we set up and Mr Giles comes to pick up the bales, doh! He finishes another field while we have some slow sport to about 15 birds in an hour and a half, a good couple of long birds each too. My magnet with the hypaflaps was scaring them away, off that went and things improved.

By this time Mr Giles wanted the bales in our field so wee had to pack up and move. About half a mile away and in the field he had just cleared we set up at the end of a line of dead elm trees.

hide-scaled.jpg

The combination of the nets Cat and I had were absolutely perfect and blended into the background superbly as you can see. I have only shot pigeons with a few different people and it's always fascinating to see how differently people get results. We had 2 magnets out, by this time I ditched the hypaflaps and had two dead birds on there. A few more dead from the last field on cradles with a floater out completed the pattern.

pattern-scaled.jpg

Almost like a switch the birds started to come in in 3's and 4's regularly and we had some brisk sport until a rather ominous looking cloud turned it off as fast it as it had been turned on! Quick dash for the truck and shelter as the heavens opened, a chance to grab a spot of lunch.

As the rain was easing that switch was thrown again and the birds came in thick and fast again, a couple of massive flocks 100+, I have never seen so many pigeon together like that in summer. Perhaps that was a roosting wood all getting up to dry off?

The sun was out with a vengeance and in some of the hotter spells it sent the birds into the trees to chill out, however we were making steady progress. Cat doesn't really miss many pigeon it seems, I think half way through proceedings he was on about 5 doubles :blush:

The late afternoon until we packed up at about 5 was the hotspot. I don't think we had a moment in 2 hours when there wasn't a pigeon in view with several strong flight lines intersecting the field, ideal spot the end of that hedgerow, right in the middle of it.

I was trying to take on the master pulling off the highest and longest birds but no chance, I got a pigeon shooting lesson! I did take down some lovely high and some long birds dead in the air but nothing quite as far as Cat and nothing like the consistency. At one spell there birds preferred to miss us to the right and Cat pulled down 5 crossers 45yds out in a row, some shooting!

By the time we came to pack up they were slowing down and we'd hit them that hard I think we moved the flight line which was most productive away from us. Neither of us remembered a clicker so we only guessed at the number of dead birds. After 2 minutes picking up in the field which was now blue, it was obvious we had comfortably done the magic ton!

126.jpg

126 birds picked, my best ever day by far, absolutely fantastic.

For Cat it ended there, he was off for a nice meal with his family, I had a truck full of pigeons to deal with. Off to GaryB's place to interrupt my first family BBQ of the night. Dropped off some birds and had some refreshments, then off to see StealthStalker to offload some birds.

Arrived to find SS enjoying a quiet family BBQ, and within the space of 30 minutes total chaos ensued. PeltMan arrived to take some birds too, so out to the truck and they hand pick the best ones, I was happy I didn't have to sit and do all 126 myself! Took them back in to finish my beer and chill for a bit and all of a sudden we are tipping them out on the patio and sorting them out. The all hell breaks loose and there are wings and guts and stuff all over the place. I end up getting the rest out of the truck with a deal that I loose all the bits in exchange for getting everyone helping me do mine too - what a nice bunch :blush:

Here are most of the crowns ready for washing then breasting

crowns-scaled.jpg

At one point it did look like SS's mrs was going to loose it, and who could blame her with this going on, on her nice clean patio - and this was after quite a lot of tidying up. I know she got a pic of the worst of it, if SS sends me it I will edit this and put it in, it wasn't pretty!

feathers-scaled.jpg

Has to be said she was a great sport and deserves a medal for putting up with it!

The end result, six nicely packed bags of cooled breasts ready for marinading, the mincer and the freezer. My 2 bags came in at 3.2kg of pure delicious meat!

packed-scaled.jpg

Massive thanks to Catamong for the invite and for showing me how it's done, very much appreciated mate!

SS,

Yep, same place Matey, could have done with you in the other field about 1/2 mile away, I could see loads dropping onto it and feeding completely unmolested, still Pin was adamant you wouldn't give up the footie for a good days shooting, so no point in phoning you..!! :blush:

All I can say is thank goodness Pin had his 4WD on hand, 126 pigeons is a big bag to carry, plus all of the other gear. :blush:

(,,,)=:blush:=(,,,)

SS,

Yep, same place Matey, could have done with you in the other field about 1/2 mile away, I could see loads dropping onto it and feeding completely unmolested, still Pin was adamant you wouldn't give up the footie for a good days shooting, so no point in phoning you..!! :blush:

All I can say is thank goodness Pin had his 4WD on hand, 126 pigeons is a big bag to carry, plus all of the other gear. :mad:

(,,,)=:good:=(,,,)

Thought so.

I could have been persuaded :lol: (game was **** anyway)

120 is a big bag to breast, I'm off to jet wash the patio before the Mrs gets home :blush: :blush:

Just a little "SS's Mrs's eye view" of proceedings, pretty much in the middle of doing them

breasting-scaled.jpg

I don't think I will be welcome back any time soon B) :mad:

i spy three workers

and one shirker (complete with tinny)

nice work lads :rolleyes: :(

pin remind me never to tell you where i live

TP

I had planned to drop off a few dozen with StealthStalker and ThePeltMan, was never the plan to sort them out there. I had a lonely evening sat in a little copse on my mind, which is why when they started sorting theirs and there was a mess anyway.... :rolleyes:

Nice bag lads and a good day shooting is what it is all about.

:(

Women don't understand do they?B)??

and if you had all come round my place during a BBQ there would be 3 less PW members on this forum.

Roasted Pin,Cat and Pelt breasts come to mind.

:rolleyes:

Dave K