Pigeons for Scouts. Please HELP!

Dibble

Hi hope someone can help, I've posted this before but am getting a bit worried now! It's next Friday!

My sons Explorer Scout group are running a "Survival and Hammock camping night" and I have volunteered to help.

We are planning to do Breasting and Kebabing Pigeon on the Friday night and Rabbit Casserole on the Saturday. This is a brilliant opportunity to show 25 Townie (Croydon) Teenagers where food comes from and Shootings part in it, I am also going to explain pest management to them.

Shooting Egg and Bumpy22 have kindly offered to help supply Pigeon but they are both in Somerset  and I can't find an excuse to go down there for work. I've put up notices at local clay grounds and had a reply but he hasn't had any luck on his last 2 outings. I've been put in touch with a butcher for the rabbits but this is looking shakey as well, might have to go for squirrel instead.

I have phoned BASC to see if they can help  both me and my son are members............I'm not going to have a go in public but if anyone from BASC wishes to contact me feel free.....preferably offering me some pigeon!

Can anyone help I need around 15 (1 between 2?) Un processed Pigeon to breast I will come and pick up this week, I live in South London and will travel a couple of hours each way if necessary.

18 minutes ago, old'un said:

Did you try the link I gave you on your last request for game?..https://www.wildmeat.co.uk/pages/game-in-feather-fur

Yes thanks I did, they didn't have pigeon last time I checked but I'm doing a phone around on Monday.

We also like to get stuff for free it means we don't have to charge much for membership or events and makes us more inclusive to use a buzz word. What this really means is membership of my Scout group is 10 pounds a month for around 6 hours of activities, if you can't afford it we don't charge for anything including camps. Bear in mind around 60% of subs go on insurance.

Edited by Dibble

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Give 'em a few squirrels as well. Supposed to be really good eating. Pity your far away from me or I could find you a dozen.

I've got two types attending the lot sleeping over are a bit more robust so I might get them a few squirrels to cook on a spit. The Friday only lot will struggle with anything too cute and fluffy hence just breasting pigeon with them.

Skinning a squirrel is quite difficult they don't "peal" like a rabbit there will be a bit of a tug-of-war to skin them.

3 minutes ago, Dibble said:

I've got two types attending the lot sleeping over are a bit more robust so I might get them a few squirrels to cook on a spit. The Friday only lot will struggle with anything too cute and fluffy hence just breasting pigeon with them.

Skinning a squirrel is quite difficult they don't "peal" like a rabbit there will be a bit of a tug-of-war to skin them.

Yep, welcome to the real world. Hope it is a great success and more grease to your elbow.

@Dibble I run a day  each year for basc southwest, do you want me to contact them and ask them to give your area (where are you based) a bit of a nudge.. Last event I ran with them showed the guns how to pluck and breast pheasant and partridge and also prep the whole bird. PM me if you like. Cheers

Edited by ShootingEgg

11 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

@Dibble I run a day  each year for basc southwest, do you want me to contact them and ask them to give your area (where are you based) a bit of a nudge.. Last event I ran with them showed the guns how to pluck and breast pheasant and partridge and also prep the whole bird. PM me if you like. Cheers

If you could that would be great. I need them for this Friday, I appreciate its short notice Plan A is having a rotten run of luck.