Update from BASC / DEFRA

Staying home or exercising in very close proximity to other people is riskier that travelling a couple of miles up the road alone to spend a few hours in a field alone: Get this, alone means well away from ANYONE else - regardless of what is being done. Those who are too stubborn to see that are being rather obtuse.

The prime minister could not possibly be expected to list every exception to the rule so kept it simple (then presumably delegated other cabinet members to sort out the chaff regarding who should be excepted. Unfortunately the people in charge of DEFRA have little experience in their job - like many a politician due to reshuffles etc, have failed the farming and pest control community by not instructing chief constables.

For me, this thread is about what BASC are or are not doing to chase up DEFRA to make local lone livestock and crop protection another exception.

I suspect the biggest worry for some of us is that while most bobbies and FEO's are great, we might come up against an occasional awkward jobsworth, as we have seen other cases where a few like to be bolshie.

And many of us don't have the blessings of the police because they have not been told to give it so will understandably keep their head down.

Edited by Dave-G

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, lancer425 said:

So your making up tour own rules in that case. Why when others are flowing the rules are you adjusting the rules to fit in with what you think is right for the country and others.

Are you very special or just a little bit special.

I’m not making up my own rules at all; I’m getting on with my life in accordance with government guidelines, which is to minimise the risk I pose to others whilst doing the same to protect myself. 
If you’ve got a problem with this then it’s just that.....your problem. 
 ‘A little bit special’. 😂 

Get over yourself, get on with your own life and stop trying to interfere in the lives of others. 👍

If we all exercised our minds a bit we could probably all make a case for getting out and about with a perceived minimal risk.

For example I’m a keen trout fisher I could travel from the house to the loch with no contact with anyone and fish with no human contact all day ,but the Angling Association that I am a member of has closed the river and the lochs so that is out, however there are lochs with no one controlling access and which are free to fish for all so I could travel there

Tennis players could easily play outdoors and take the necessary precautions to minimise the risks as could kayakers, wild campers, hill walkers and mountaineers ,people wandering on a beach or sea fishing, golfers ,cyclists out in the country and a host of other non team sports and activities all considering themselves to be special cases because after all they are taking precautions to distance themselves from other to minimise risk . 

However I don’t think that is happening because people are choosing to follow the advice that to minimise the risk of spreading the virus it is far better to stay at home backed up in some cases by their sports governing bodies to stay at home and refrain from participating in their sport while the pandemic is in progress.I don’t think that the majority of shooters need to be shooting is greater than the need of any other recreational user of the countryside. 

Edited by Konor
Spelling

8 minutes ago, clangerman said:

here’s a lesson in life chaps thanks  to a couple trying to dictate and insult me last night it inspired me to switch from waiting for farmers to call to ringing them so i’m now out this afternoon and tomorrow how ironic is that lol 

for a bloke that claims to be out giving his all to save his country , youre spending an awful lot of time on here trying to start a fight.

im pretty convinced now that youre just some lonely old fella , thats just glad of a little bit of attention.

if you need to go shooting , just go and do it quietly , and try not to embarrass the rest of us that are being responsible adults  sticking to government advice.

5 minutes ago, clangerman said:

here’s a lesson in life chaps thanks  to a couple trying to dictate and insult me last night it inspired me to switch from waiting for farmers to call to ringing them so i’m now out this afternoon and tomorrow how ironic is that lol 

No lesson required there have always been people like yourself kicking about others just have to put up with them.

I find it sad that you weren’t able to pick the phone up to phone farmers prior to reading some of the posts you are referring to which reflects poorly on your character.It seems you are keen to shoot to make a point rather than for essential pest control which is the point we have been discussing. 
Watch you don’t shoot yourself in the foot........again.

Meanwhile to all those shooters staying at home in the hope of restricting the spread of the virus thank you

7 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

for a bloke that claims to be out giving his all to save his country , youre spending an awful lot of time on here trying to start a fight.

im pretty convinced now that youre just some lonely old fella , thats just glad of a little bit of attention.

if you need to go shooting , just go and do it quietly , and try not to embarrass the rest of us that are being responsible adults  sticking to government advice.

as everyone can read the comments speak for their selfs yes i am old but in no way lonely or the type to take bullying or insults from those who try to intimidate others as i credit shooters with the intelligence to decide for their self if to stay in or go 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I’m not making up my own rules at all; I’m getting on with my life in accordance with government guidelines, which is to minimise the risk I pose to others whilst doing the same to protect myself. 
If you’ve got a problem with this then it’s just that.....your problem. 
 ‘A little bit special’. 😂 

Get over yourself, get on with your own life and stop trying to interfere in the lives of others. 👍

:lol:How silly you are. That is exactly what you are doing making up your own rules based on your missguided opinion of your own knowledge. But the worst part is your encouraging others to think likewise, At least in my case i am only advocating doing as the PM wants us to all do which is stay home apart from food health or work when you can not work from home. Its very simple stuff this. We just need to obey the government and less people will lose theior lives to this terrible virus.

Its not our place to decide we know better than the chief medical officer and make the executive decision that us out in the country shooting is safe . It has the potential to spread the disease, its that important. The government are learning about the desease and how it spreads, testing etc. If you chaps have a higher understanding of this virus, then you need to be telling the government.:lol:

The real facts are this is not about crop protection at all, its about special people with special Needs. They are everywhere knowing better in parks not socialy distancing nipping around to mates, driving around in cars taking dogs . its happening every day every where. They like you chaps are all knowledgable and know more than the government ever could. Very special people.

4 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

:lol:How silly you are. That is exactly what you are doing making up your own rules based on your missguided opinion of your own knowledge. But the worst part is your encouraging others to think likewise, At least in my case i am only advocating doing as the PM wants us to all do which is stay home apart from food health or work when you can not work from home. Its very simple stuff this. We just need to obey the government and less people will lose theior lives to this terrible virus.

Its not our place to decide we know better than the chief medical officer and make the executive decision that us out in the country shooting is safe . It has the potential to spread the disease, its that important. The government are learning about the desease and how it spreads, testing etc. If you chaps have a higher understanding of this virus, then you need to be telling the government.:lol:

The real facts are this is not about crop protection at all, its about special people with special Needs. They are everywhere knowing better in parks not socialy distancing nipping around to mates, driving around in cars taking dogs . its happening every day every where. They like you chaps are all knowledgable and know more than the government ever could. Very special people.

Well said 👏

3 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Nice try. 🙂

You really do need to get a grip; you’re becoming a little obsessed with this...perhaps get out for some fresh air? 
Meanwhile I’ll get on with my life, and perhaps you could get on with yours. Just a thought. 
Best of luck. 👍🙂

16 minutes ago, Scully said:

Nice try. 🙂

You really do need to get a grip; you’re becoming a little obsessed with this...perhaps get out for some fresh air? 
Meanwhile I’ll get on with my life, and perhaps you could get on with yours. Just a thought. 
Best of luck. 👍🙂

No i am really not, your only saying i am becoming obsessed because you know full well your on very swampy ground indeed.

The guidance is crisatal clear to me and millions of others, and you do not need to be a chef medical officer to see straight through the futile attitudes that are prevailing in a few on here, to basicaly do just what the heck they want slap bang in the middle of a pandemic.

The rules dont apply to these people because they are so special and after all They say WHAT CAN BE THE HARM IN THAT.   My answer to that question is no idea but im told to stop the **** in save lives, what did your letter tell you to do.

5 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

No i am really not, your only saying i am becoming obsessed because you know full well your on very swampy ground indeed.

The guidance is crisatal clear to me and millions of others, and you do not need to be a chef medical officer to see straight through the futile attitudes that are prevailing in a few on here, to basicaly do just what the heck they want slap bang in the middle of a pandemic.

The rules dont apply to these people because they are so special and after all They say WHAT CAN BE THE HARM IN THAT.   My answer to that question is no idea but im told to stop the **** in save lives, what did your letter tell you to do.

the rules dont apply to supermarket workers either!

1 minute ago, andrewluke said:

so ok for them to be in the thick of it without any protection or are they immune to it as the government says it's ok

They are not handling people "Infected people" and safety rules distancing guidance rules will be well known to them. You need to ask your son. He will certainly know if he is in the shop floor.

I went the shop the other morning, was supprised how good the safetey was, i think they are doing a good job. Safe distancing only so many in stare any one time. I did not need to queue, straigh in got what i needed out, all felt safe to me. 

1 minute ago, lancer425 said:

They are not handling people "Infected people" and safety rules distancing guidance rules will be well known to them. You need to ask your son. He will certainly know if he is in the shop floor.

I went the shop the other morning, was supprised how good the safetey was, i think they are doing a good job. Safe distancing only so many in stare any one time. I did not need to queue, straigh in got what i needed out, all felt safe to me. 

i went to tescos last week and the distancing guidance rules were excellent when queuing outside but once you were in it was a free for all,no difference at M&S,i think it's much safer in the middle of a field miles from any one

16 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

But you would have been further away from any infected people if you were doing something or just sunbathing or walking alone in a deserted field. Because a politician really wants you to stay close enough to other people - but is saying stay a paltry two metres in a usual government fudge, some of those will be carriers so the whole herd eventually gets infected you'd rather be closer to people.

Edited by Dave-G

1 minute ago, andrewluke said:

i went to tescos last week and the distancing guidance rules were excellent when queuing outside but once you were in it was a free for all,no difference at M&S,i think it's much safer in the middle of a field miles from any one

Its not all about the being out  in a field though is it,  its not just that aspect thats involved.

Getting food/ medicines  and your health as in distanced exercise , and working if you can not work from home is one thing. Going out pigeon shooting just because you got permision and you wanted to go is another.

14 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Its not all about the being out  in a field though is it,  its not just that aspect thats involved.

Getting food/ medicines  and your health as in distanced exercise , and working if you can not work from home is one thing. Going out pigeon shooting just because you got permision and you wanted to go is another.

That sounds like if he leaves his gun home its OK. 

3 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

But you would have been further away from any infected people if you were doing something or just sunbathing or walking alone in a deserted field. Because a politician really wants you to stay close enough to other people - but is saying stay a paltry two metres in a usual government fudge, some of those will be carriers so the whole herd eventually gets infected you'd rather be closer to people.

They dont want us to go out UNLESS " Per the guidance" . Stay home means that stay home, its in every government instruction.

I went out because i had to not enough food to feed the five of us.

I got a decent sized property and can exersise in the yard orchard and i do its safer.

Not following the governments guidance is irresponsible. But if you got a real as in essential genuine unavoidable in anyway livestock or i suppose crop" Though i can not imagine a need to protect crops more urgent than saving lives" protection problem then i suppose you must go and perform the task, But once done return home mediately.   

They want us to stop home, and like it or not we are a part of societey, and we have to be responsible. We are not qualified to decide what we do is safe or not, we can only distance ourselves from others when we are absolutely forced to be out there. Not decide we know better than the chief medical officer, . If we feel we are being safe or not means nothing. The public need to feel safe and shooters going out as they see it for sport because they know no better is not good for them us or anyone.

The i can make a desison attitude is just wrong. the sittuation which gets you out there shooting decides not us. If its just a case of getting all you needed together Writen permision check gun check licence check etc. thats just not acceptable. THE NEED ABSOLUTE NEED unavoidable . Need to be there is the Key.

If your going out to some land two Lambs got mauled on last night, jump to it good luck hope you get him.

But going out because pigeons a big in your area and that field might get hit. I think your on very shaly ground in this lockdown. .

11 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

That sounds like if he leaves his gun home its OK. 

Once he has a gun he is not exersising anymore in the eyes of the law hes shooting. If he can walk out his door with his gun and his dog walk a mile up his field and shoot a rabbit. he might just scrape past as exercise"may be" . But going out to a field  sitting down with a gun would clearly mean he was out there hunting.   Now even the walk out with the gun scemario is flawed in that What were his intentions, was he going out with a gun, to hunt primarialy, or did he have the gun with him as part of his exersise food gathering. Might squeze it through, but WHY WOULD YOU> ? We need to look at the bare bones of johnsons letter which is stay home protect the NHS save lives. And we are then back to the UNLESS part. This is a fact here we do need to be responsible get this right peoples lives depend on this. We need to get behind the guidance not be looking for ways we can get by as normal because we think we are special.

4 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

They dont want us to go out UNLESS " Per the guidance" . Stay home means that stay home, its in every government instruction.

I went out because i had to not enough food to feed the five of us.

I got a decent sized property and can exersise in the yard orchard and i do its safer.

Not following the governments guidance is irresponsible. But if you got a real as in essential genuine unavoidable in anyway livestock or i suppose crop" Though i can not imagine a need to protect crops more urgent than saving lives" protection problem then i suppose you must go and perform the task, But once done return home mediately.   

They want us to stop home, and like it or not we are a part of societey, and we have to be responsible. We are not qualified to decide what we do is safe or not, we can only distance ourselves from others when we are absolutely forced to be out there. Not decide we know better than the chief medical officer, . If we feel we are being safe or not means nothing. The public need to feel safe and shooters going out as they see it for sport because they know no better is not good for them us or anyone.

The i can make a desison attitude is just wrong. the sittuation which gets you out there shooting decides not us. If its just a case of getting all you needed together Writen permision check gun check licence check etc. thats just not acceptable. THE NEED ABSOLUTE NEED unavoidable . Need to be there is the Key.

If your going out to some land two Lambs got mauled on last night, jump to it good luck hope you get him.

But going out because pigeons a big in your area and that field might get hit. I think your on very shaly ground in this lockdown. .

New build housing isnt NEEDED , mowing grass verges isn't needed but thats OK because >Gov doesn't want to pay them to stay home. I don't think you are quite grasping that some .Gov is just fudge thats sounds and tastes great but is really ****. You don't seem to realise that they want the herd to get infected in manageable rates as the best way of dealing with it until a vaccine becomes available.

If you feel politicians and police chiefs know more about pest control than you then just stay home and relax. You really do need to relax your stance a little.

For the record, due to wet ground then CV I have not personally been out shooting yet. It is way overdue but until its certain the police ain't gonna bust my nuts I won't be going. Land owners have had a seriously tough 6 months or so - on top of not very good harvests last year.