Veals of Bristol gone

loriusgarrulus

Closed down but their online business still going :hmm: 

I hope they haven't just transferred all the stock into their other companies name and told all their debtors to go whistle. I've no idea if they have or haven't but always wonder when someone has two companies side by side, one goes bust but the other just carries on. 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Closed down but their online business still going  

I hope they haven't just transferred all the stock into their other companies name and told all their debtors to go whistle. I've no idea if they have or haven't but always wonder when someone has two companies side by side, one goes bust but the other just carries on. 

I'm assuming by this you mean:

'What a shame. A company that long lasting with such local history going under. Really sad.'

Gosh. How sad. I've been using Veals for 65 years. As kids we used to bike from Cotham (Bristol) to Pennywell Road buy tie on hooks and small tins of split shot then off to the Avon. Migrated to fly fishing about 30 years ago and even bought my AirArms S410 there. Always had knowledgeable helpful staff. They will be missed.

Lloyd90, inter company "transfers" like those you described are not uncommon. Hopefully the administrators will pick up on any skullduggery.

I guesse we're all off to Doncaster Road.

Edited by Bobba

11 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Closed down but their online business still going :hmm: 

I worked for a company like that when I left the Army. Went bust, told everyone to whistle, opened up again new premises, slight change to name, kept 3 of us, sacked the rest. 2 years later same again but kept 5 of us. 5 years later same but made me redundant but as bust no redundancy pay. (Short version, I sued, they paid). Set me back on, same position nearly half the money. Year later I bailed when I overheard a confidential conversation between directors it was going to happen again. Since then they've done it twice more. Still trading, same buisness, new trucks each time, new premises, slight name change, newly named director. Each premises they leave they're at least a year behind on rent and bills and leave a yard full of things that are hard to move on. Old fridges, expired paint, tons of broken up building waste and concrete, all that was paid to be transported and dumped. It beggars belief that to my knowledge they've been getting away with it for over 20 years.

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

I worked for a company like that when I left the Army. Went bust, told everyone to whistle, opened up again new premises, slight change to name, kept 3 of us, sacked the rest. 2 years later same again but kept 5 of us. 5 years later same but made me redundant but as bust no redundancy pay. (Short version, I sued, they paid). Set me back on, same position nearly half the money. Year later I bailed when I overheard a confidential conversation between directors it was going to happen again. Since then they've done it twice more. Still trading, same buisness, new trucks each time, new premises, slight name change, newly named director. Each premises they leave they're at least a year behind on rent and bills and leave a yard full of things that are hard to move on. Old fridges, expired paint, tons of broken up building waste and concrete, all that was paid to be transported and dumped. It beggars belief that to my knowledge they've been getting away with it for over 20 years.

Bloke I work for a while backs done that probably 30 times.. Company's house list of companies under his name is in the 50's

12 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

I'm assuming by this you mean:

'What a shame. A company that long lasting with such local history going under. Really sad.'

It is very sad Chris, sorry I just added something I hoped hadn’t happened (but does also sadly happen a lot). 

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

Lots do that mate. They “sell” the assets, machinery or stock to the “new company” and then carry on, its almost their business model. 
Run up as much debt as possible, take all the money out then shut it down and start over. 

For the record I am not saying this has happened to the above establishment.