Heads up Devon and Cornwall renewals

holloway

Just had a letter from the above stating that it would not be possible to renew my certificate before it runs out ,(5th May) it is a shotgun only .The application went in on February 21st and the letter goes on to say that as it was in 8wks befor the expiry date they would extend the expiry date for 8 weeks and i must keep the letter as proof ,not sure what would have happened if i hadnt got it in 8 wks early ,would it just run out and been judged to be my fault ? if yours is anywhere near due get it in !

39 minutes ago, oowee said:

I am not sure they can just do that. I think they should maybe issue a S7 ticket in the interim? Otherwise you are in possession of unlicenced firearms. 

Agreed, you should request one which could/should have replaced the letter sent to you. It's possible they are trying to reduce the numbers of Sec 7's issued for some accountancy purpose with their PCC?

46 minutes ago, oowee said:

I am not sure they can just do that. I think they should maybe issue a S7 ticket in the interim? Otherwise you are in possession of unlicenced firearms. 

Apparently according to the letter this is provided by section 28b of the firearm act 1968 ,it extends my certificate for 2 months unless they get around to renewing before ,so if they dont i imagine they will have to extend again or they will have to arrest me.

2 hours ago, holloway said:

Apparently according to the letter this is provided by section 28b of the firearm act 1968 ,it extends my certificate for 2 months unless they get around to renewing before ,so if they dont i imagine they will have to extend again or they will have to arrest me.

:good:Mine is due this year too. Hopefully no messing about. 🙂 

Just to give some a little hope. My coterminous ran out last September. Had the renewal in way before the 8week request to Devon and Cornwall and was surprised to receive a random phone call shortly afterwards on a Saturday evening. Chap claimed to be a new FEO so a few security questions and a very friendly informal chat later asking if any of my details or circumstances had changed?  He explained how busy they were and with long term ticket holders they were willing to do renewals by phone providing it was a straight forward renewal. ie: not asking for extra guns or ammo. He suggested that people think they're being clever by using renewal time to add guns or change ammo quantities and save the cost of a variation but that flags them up for a visit before a renewal can be granted. Really pleasant chap to deal with and as promised new license arrived inside two weeks. Top marks.

3 hours ago, oneshot1979 said:

Just to give some a little hope. My coterminous ran out last September. Had the renewal in way before the 8week request to Devon and Cornwall and was surprised to receive a random phone call shortly afterwards on a Saturday evening. Chap claimed to be a new FEO so a few security questions and a very friendly informal chat later asking if any of my details or circumstances had changed?  He explained how busy they were and with long term ticket holders they were willing to do renewals by phone providing it was a straight forward renewal. ie: not asking for extra guns or ammo. He suggested that people think they're being clever by using renewal time to add guns or change ammo quantities and save the cost of a variation but that flags them up for a visit before a renewal can be granted. Really pleasant chap to deal with and as promised new license arrived inside two weeks. Top marks.

Yep, coterminous done over the phone in a couple of minutes. I would suggest that D&CC is the one force that you really shouldn't upset. If they're up against it then cut them some slack as by and large they do a good job with a straight bat.