Sign in to follow this  
pegasus bridge

Some shed finds -safe to drink?

Like most folks I’d imagine , I’ve been having a clear out, i have  found a few bottles of sloe gin I made back in 2009, they look ok, some sediment on the bottom though , would these still be drinkable or not?

is it worth trying to filter the sediment out ?

ive also found two bottles of sloe whisky! I vaguely remember using up some cheap whisky to do this as it was unpalatable to drink (Christmas presents from distant relatives 😭)

No don't drink it. I will have a drive up to Newark and take them off your hands just for safety sake. I wouldn't want a PW member to fall foul of ancient sloe gin. 

Ithink it should be ok - seem to recall that if you leave any stones in the bottle they leak Cyanide over time  but cannot think where I read it.

Many fruit stones contain amygdalin and other cyanohydrins and are broken down into cyanide among a few other chemicals/substances. The good news is that they are in very, very small amounts. I would say if you have not got kidney or liver disease then crack on, just as long as you do not Quaff the whole bottle in one and drink in a sensible amount 🤮

Strain it, It will be most agreeable I am sure?

If you wake up tomorrow its safe

Seriously, just have a little slurp first to make sure you don't get cramps or the runs.

Then 24 hours later a bigger slurp and so on.

should be OK but always better to ease yourself in gently 

On 26/04/2020 at 15:26, 7daysinaweek said:

Many fruit stones contain amygdalin and other cyanohydrins and are broken down into cyanide among a few other chemicals/substances. The good news is that they are in very, very small amounts. I would say if you have not got kidney or liver disease then crack on, just as long as you do not Quaff the whole bottle in one and drink in a sensible amount 🤮

Strain it, It will be most agreeable I am sure?

I found some sloe gin complete with all the fruit that was 5 or 6 years old. The taint from the stones was pretty horrible and I threw it away. 

The problem is IMHO that you need to be 100% certain that what you think is in the bottle is what is in the bottle. Personally I'd dispose of it. Simply put your own health isn't worth risking for the sake of it. Although by now I'd reckon that the flavour would be sublime. 

If the sloes  have been removed I can’t see any problem, but if you’re unsure I’ll be happy to dispose of it for you.