Government release cost of furlough claims that are fraud or payed in error YES 3.5 Billion £ £ £ s s s

oldypigeonpopper

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I do wish they would give us a breakdown of how the fraud came about. Was it people claiming it while still working? or what?

Hello, the report said a lot of the money was paid in error and many companies claiming and not paying employees, many of the latter phoned the fraud hotline, 

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, the report said a lot of the money was paid in error and many companies claiming and not paying employees, many of the latter phoned the fraud hotline, 

Yes I know of somebody who has believed all the way through that his former employer was claiming for him (and others) but not passing it on. I don't know if he is aware of the fraud hotline I will tell him.

2 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Yes I know of somebody who has believed all the way through that his former employer was claiming for him (and others) but not passing it on. I don't know if he is aware of the fraud hotline I will tell him.

So what did he do about the fact he wasn’t being paid? Surely he queried it. 

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

Tut tut, Former,  meaning he was working elsewhere. 

I can well expect many companies claiming while still making people still work.

I get that employers could be claiming and getting people to work but don’t see how they could claim for somebody not on the payroll. The employer needs to provide a payroll reference. Very easy to check. 

9 minutes ago, AVB said:

The employer needs to provide a payroll reference. Very easy to check. 

Guessing the employer could use an old payroll number hense the fraud, and probably expect to get away with it seeing as the country has gone to rat $$$$ 

Must be like a needle in a haystack given how many companies have claimed.

5 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

So the penatagon lost 1/4 of the worlds economy ($80trillion) . I dont think so !!

There was a case described by someone was interviewed on the radio (R4) last week where fraud had occurred;

The interviewee had made a claim - which had been agreed - and reported as paid.  However nothing arrived in his bank (his normal business bank account where all his HMRC, PAYE etc. transactions took place) - and one already in regular use by HMRC/Govt.

He reported it and they looked into it - and the money had been paid into 'his' account.  They could not/would not give him details of the account - other than telling him it was his normal account of which HMRC had details.  Meanwhile other HMRC/Govt. transactions took place on his account normally.  It was 'sorted out' with a further payment promised - and that also never arrived.

Police have been involved but it seems that HMRC has made two payments - which have both gone astray - and the money has 'vanished'.  Apparently this happens in 'a small number of cases'.  The interview implied that there was no blame being pointed at the interviewee - but that it was likely that the funds had been 'intercepted' by fraudsters.  How this had happened was not made clear, but it was implied that it had 'vanished within the banking system'.

11 hours ago, Mice! said:

Guessing the employer could use an old payroll number hense the fraud, and probably expect to get away with it seeing as the country has gone to rat $$$$ 

Must be like a needle in a haystack given how many companies have claimed.

They do have computers. I wouldn’t have thought it that hard to compare furlough payments against valid and active payroll numbers. But possibly not a priority at the time and they’ll do the investigation post mortem. 

On 08/09/2020 at 21:08, AVB said:

So what did he do about the fact he wasn’t being paid? Surely he queried it. 

He was / is a driver for a car parts delivery company, he is 70 and was told he wasn't eligable for furlough because of his age and he accepted that at the time, Only when he returned to work did he find that his NI contribution had been credited throughout the lockdown, making him very suspicious. A little bit of digging since has revealed no age limit on furlough

But if he queries it or rocks the boat in any way they will just sack him out of hand .without a second thought,  so what can he do?  This is the reality of the gig economy and "no contract contracts" He needs the job   

11 hours ago, Vince Green said:

He was / is a driver for a car parts delivery company, he is 70 and was told he wasn't eligable for furlough because of his age and he accepted that at the time, Only when he returned to work did he find that his NI contribution had been credited throughout the lockdown, making him very suspicious. A little bit of digging since has revealed no age limit on furlough

But if he queries it or rocks the boat in any way they will just sack him out of hand .without a second thought,  so what can he do?  This is the reality of the gig economy and "no contract contracts" He needs the job   

Hello, that cannot be an easy situation for him?