Birding Year List

chrisjpainter

Just a pair of coal tits on the peanut feeder this morning, otherwise a dozen house sparrows bullied their way in and emptied it within half an hour.  Very quiet in our wood although we know there are a lot of birds sitting at the moment.

Going to be a burst of activity when they all hatch.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, not heard one this year yet Simon, mind you I cannot say this weathers much like a normal spring time, 

Warmer and drier weather from Wednesday, (26th)..........according to Meteorologists.

Fingers Crossed 😎

It was #####!!!####!!!! cold this morning here.  Everything struggling to grow. Might be a problem for the smaller birds insect wise. I know they are hitting alll of our feeders at the house and around the wood. 3 to 4 fat balls in 48hrs.

Fantastic watching a blue tit work around my Land Rover in every nook and cranny looking for food this morning.

9 hours ago, Walker570 said:

It was #####!!!####!!!! cold this morning here.  Everything struggling to grow. Might be a problem for the smaller birds insect wise. I know they are hitting alll of our feeders at the house and around the wood. 3 to 4 fat balls in 48hrs.

Fantastic watching a blue tit work around my Land Rover in every nook and cranny looking for food this morning.

Funny you mention this, I've built a raised platform in a tree at the end of our garden,  its going to be a treehouse for the kids, its around 8ft up and I was watching a wren Wednesday morning working a tree next door up above me, so 15/16ft up, I always think of wrens being down on the ground.

Was delighted to have a pair of goldfinches on our feeders this morning. Do not see them very often around here.

Whacked the male of the pair of magpies haunting the area this morning as well, had the hen bird yesterday so these little open nesting finches stand a better chance of raising a brood this year.

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

Was delighted to have a pair of goldfinches on our feeders this morning. Do not see them very often around here.

Whacked the male of the pair of magpies haunting the area this morning as well, had the hen bird yesterday so these little open nesting finches stand a better chance of raising a brood this year.

Well done with the Magpies, we are blessed with an abundance of Goldfinch in these parts, it is not unusual to have as many as ten at a time, spread over the sunflower heart feeders, no other finches though, have only had one Chaffinch and one greenfinch visit in the last few months.

Two Quail were reported calling at Chavenage yesterday, from late afternoon into the evening.

Also a reported migration movement of 3 - 400 mixed Swift and hirundines, moving through the county in a Westerly direction (Incoming)............they must have heard the weather is going to buck up !

9 hours ago, twenty said:

no other finches though, have only had one Chaffinch and one greenfinch visit in the last few months.

Seems really strange that??

9 hours ago, twenty said:

(Incoming)............they must have heard the weather is going to buck up !

Let's hope there right 😁

53 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

We travelled through quite some of it yesterday 😉

Today it got better ... adding Red Grouse, and a dipper ....

But feel hugely honoured to see 3 Osprey impacts ... 2 successful, and the last one was as I was playing a trout out of the same loch. One happy bunny!!

hehe It's a wonderful, wonderful place. We've spent so many holidays up around the Scourie area I've lost count. Some great hill walking and a shed loads of birds. Red and black throated divers, golden and occasionally sea eagles and all the sea birds you could ask for. 

Great spotting on the ospreys.

That brings back happy memories of a fishing trip my wife and I did back in the late 60s.  I saw accomodation with fishing advertised in one of the magazines and rang up and booked it.  The hotel was at Drumbeg. We loaded the Zephyr Farnham estate that I had at the time and set off north at 3am, stopping for a packed breakfast and coffee at 9am in Crieff and stretched our legs. Eventually we crossed a single track road towards Scourie and then found the road leading to Drumbeg  two strips of tarmac with grass in the middle.   We evetually arrived at a corrogated sheet covered building and entering the front door rang the bell at the closed hatch. A face appeared ...Hah!! Mr and Mrs Walker yes?  I 'll show you your room

We had one of the very best holidays of our life up there, great food ..wine order the mroning at breakfast ... and just too many small lochs to fish at will with not another soul in sight.  The hotel owner gave me a large bag to take to one loch and said bring every fish you catch back, don't put them back as the loch is over stocked. That was a hard 30 minute walk back across the moor to the car.   Thank you for reminding me of that trip, enjoyed it all again.

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

That brings back happy memories of a fishing trip my wife and I did back in the late 60s.  I saw accomodation with fishing advertised in one of the magazines and rang up and booked it.  The hotel was at Drumbeg. We loaded the Zephyr Farnham estate that I had at the time and set off north at 3am, stopping for a packed breakfast and coffee at 9am in Crieff and stretched our legs. Eventually we crossed a single track road towards Scourie and then found the road leading to Drumbeg  two strips of tarmac with grass in the middle.   We evetually arrived at a corrogated sheet covered building and entering the front door rang the bell at the closed hatch. A face appeared ...Hah!! Mr and Mrs Walker yes?  I 'll show you your room

We had one of the very best holidays of our life up there, great food ..wine order the mroning at breakfast ... and just too many small lochs to fish at will with not another soul in sight.  The hotel owner gave me a large bag to take to one loch and said bring every fish you catch back, don't put them back as the loch is over stocked. That was a hard 30 minute walk back across the moor to the car.   Thank you for reminding me of that trip, enjoyed it all again.

You'll be pleased to know, this road has barely changed. The road up to Drumbeg is still code for 'send the foreigners that way and see how long their sanity lasts'. What a road though.

18 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

We travelled through quite some of it yesterday 😉

Today it got better ... adding Red Grouse, and a dipper ....

But feel hugely honoured to see 3 Osprey impacts ... 2 successful, and the last one was as I was playing a trout out of the same loch. One happy bunny!!

Don't think it gets better than that.

20210527_173015.jpg.024b16af7f06f2bcd9a4096f71f0fbfe.jpg

I tried to upload the video but the file is to big, had them confirmed as Willow tits for sure, they were trying to get the chicks to come out of the nest box.

Well ... things got better ...

A distant Sea Eagle on Friday, and another Osprey take yesterday.

We didn’t see it arrive and a noise like a fridge falling on the Loch made us turn round and see it drag itself out of the Loch with another Trout ... only 150 yards away!!

Today we drove back and driving overhead foggy Cromarty Firth bridge, there was another just sat on the side of the bridge.