Red ant infestation!

JBS

Can anyone recommend a way of treating a monumental red ant infestation? We have just moved in to our new home, the garden is about .25 of an acre but is completely unusable at the minute, every footstep brings red ants to the surface, there are mounds in the grass everywhere… some visible and some not, I’ve never seen anything like it!!

The house hadn’t been lived in for a couple of years and I think they have just run wild, the kids can’t go in the garden and we can’t even sit on the patio!

Im thinking an agricultural spec insecticide is going to be the only way to go unless anyone has any suggestions?

All help greatly appreciated as the kids are covered in bites 

I use the white generic ant killer powder. Works very well. Most places will sell it in a plastic cylinder like Vim or Ajax used to come in. For those under sixty in a plastic cylinder like a Shanke n' Vac container. In lay a line about two inches across around the outside of the house where they enter. For a lawn I'd suggest a light dusting in a test area. Yes a 1/4 acre is large but if you find the colony's nest entrance a tube will do the job.

There are plenty of home made recipes for Ant killer using Boric Acid (easy to buy), basically you add sugar and water in a plastic bottle and shake it till your arms are about to fall off then put a few drops under tiles or anything to prevent rain washing it away, will take around 10-14 days to wipe them out but you will need to keep treating them to stop them returning. Or just buy the ready made bait stations but not cheap for a large garden.

10 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I use the white generic ant killer powder. Works very well. Most places will sell it in a plastic cylinder like Vim or Ajax used to come in. For those under sixty in a plastic cylinder like a Shanke n' Vac container. In lay a line about two inches across around the outside of the house where they enter. For a lawn I'd suggest a light dusting in a test area. Yes a 1/4 acre is large but if you find the colony's nest entrance a tube will do the job.

Vim or Azax, do they still sell this?

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Vim or Azax, do they still sell this?

Yes they do Harry , in our village shop it is now 3s/5d way up from 2s /11d which had been the same price for donkey years , inflation have finally found a way into our well guarded county, and would you believe it there is a lot of old squit going about of changing our pounds , shillings and pence into decimal coinage , now I can't see that happening for a while , can you ?:hmm:

57 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Yes they do Harry , in our village shop it is now 3s/5d way up from 2s /11d which had been the same price for donkey years , inflation have finally found a way into our well guarded county, and would you believe it there is a lot of old squit going about of changing our pounds , shillings and pence into decimal coinage , now I can't see that happening for a while , can you ?:hmm:

That's outrageous an increase of 6d???? A tanner rise is taking the mickey 🤔🤔🤣

11 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

That's outrageous an increase of 6d???? A tanner rise is taking the mickey 🤔🤔🤣

Wow! A whole 6d. What my late father had left from a £1 whilst Harold Wilson was Prime Minister. Don't believe it? Tax at 97.5%? Well George Harriuson wrote a song about it.