A turn up for the books.

Another decent wind, a weak line viewed yesterday and an experiment to make me shake at the knees. In tidying my cartridge cupboard I spotted a box of Lyalvale Pigeon Power 29g in fibre. I thought I would use them up today without an audience. I have been deeply sceptical of fibre cartridges in the past. 

Pigeons are still on old bean stubbles here. This one had very well grown wheat and beans with four leaves. A familiar spot to erect my hide was chosen. There were no thoughts of pellets in a 30'' circle, penetration, lead (as in leed), shot sizes in micro mm or anything else for that matter and I had five pigeons in the first four minutes. In an hour and a half I shot and picked twenty pigeons, all very well killed out to 40m with these cartridges. 

If anyone has a permission where fibre cartridges are specified, or indeed has an invitation to shoot game where no plastics are allowed then these cartridges may well fit the bill.

Cartridges..jpg

They are a very very good cartridge. 
As I’ve mentioned elsewhere in this forum, our syndicate bought 1000’s some years ago because they were so cheap, and I used them on pigeons as well as pheasants, and they never disappointed. 
The only difference is they had plastic wads, and I used up the last of my lot ( as reported ) earlier this year on a decoying day. 
Am pleased you had a good day, and also pleased to know the fibre wads deliver too. 

Hes fussy with his carts, even commenting on the smell when fired with some I once had. I've used the pigeon power for a while and quite like them, the clear pigeon (in the clear case) seem a little more authoritive in the kills. Jdogs super fast aren't found wanting  even on the most testing of shots, I've yet to try them myself. 

Glad you got out and had some fun. 

59 minutes ago, London Best said:

@JDog

Why have you been sceptical of fibre wad cartridges? 
I have always tried to avoid buying plastic wads, which are surely the invention of the devil.

I have tried odd boxes but at distance they have been found wanting. The next step is to try them on a flight line.

I load all my own 410s and use fibre wads and to be honest I have not noticed any difference in performance to factory shells, even good ones like High Pheasant and the newih Lylevale 3 inch 410 which I shot as an experiment this last Saturday on partridge and pheasant and they worked very well.

Those 12 gauge shells look more than adequate if you can put the bird in the pattern.

ive been loading my own for over 30yrs couldnt tell you the cost of a slab or    1k today               my last purchase cbc 6      £86 a thousand       while  white gold was £ 130 a thousand   was a thing                 i won      the £  with cheap cartridges inc the pool shoot          i shot twice as much for the same money       a win win             i shot 1oz 6s                   they bought blurb   white gold punch drunk  afraid to pull the trigger                                i load  28 b  and 12 b  i load to pick up either and kill the same      also load steel for the foreshore   to shoot the same as lead at 45yrds   rev it up               bought 28 bores  fiochi     shells a few years ago at twenty yrds      heard every grain of shot hit  not killed        cussed and swore  many times over the day should have been dead    cussed some more as injured not dead            now load my own    confident as hell i squeeze it off  something is dead  i reload haven't bought a cartridge  in 30 years   long may it last               shop bought can be found lacking      blurb is bull****e