Classic Game over & Under shotgun

Win96X

Hi

I have just acquired the above gun with 28 inch barrels. Looks in very good condition although it seems heavy. I can not find anything about the gun (not even where it was made). It is not a Classic Doubles who took over Winchester production after their demise as it is not of that quality.

Can anyone shed any light please?

Thanks

18 hours ago, Win96X said:

Hi

I have just acquired the above gun with 28 inch barrels. Looks in very good condition although it seems heavy. I can not find anything about the gun (not even where it was made). It is not a Classic Doubles who took over Winchester production after their demise as it is not of that quality.

Can anyone shed any light please?

Thanks

Classic doubles was a name put on several guns as well as Winchester .It was a marketing name rather than a maker .

Proof marks will be a good indicator of Country of origin .

By any chance is it you who has been in touch with Cheshire Gun Room? The gun is UK proof so will have come in from a non CIP country. The model code is the TR AK 07. Unless someone does know which is the handy option, photo's of any other marks that you can find would be of benefit.

EDIT: Deleted and moved to correct location. Sorry.

Edited by wymberley

Hi

No  have not been in touch with CGR.

A friend has suggested that it may be a prototype/sample gun made somewhere on behalf of an importer that was not taken forward. Presumably the steel proof marks indicate that the gun is not very old. One striking feature is the weight (particularly for a 28inch described as a game gun) it weighs 8lb 9oz!

Do you think there is any merit to my theory that the TK indicates Turkish manufacture?

18 minutes ago, Win96X said:

Hi

No  have not been in touch with CGR.

A friend has suggested that it may be a prototype/sample gun made somewhere on behalf of an importer that was not taken forward. Presumably the steel proof marks indicate that the gun is not very old. One striking feature is the weight (particularly for a 28inch described as a game gun) it weighs 8lb 9oz!

Do you think there is any merit to my theory that the TK indicates Turkish manufacture?

Could well do as it transpires that there's a make called Akus who also make a trap gun (weight?).

59 minutes ago, Win96X said:

Looks the same base gun although in 30' with fixed chokes and marked as a sporter. strange as mine has 28' multichokes and is marked as a "Classic Game". still non the wiser as to their origin.

There gets to a point after due consideration that all you can do is just go out and shoot the damned thing. :innocent:

• 1 year later...
On 05/09/2022 at 10:08, Win96X said:

Looks the same base gun although in 30' with fixed chokes and marked as a sporter. strange as mine has 28' multichokes and is marked as a "Classic Game". still non the wiser as to their origin.

Hi @Win96X - 

Did you get to the bottom of this one? I've got the same gun with multichokes and am looking for different size chokes but I'm not sure which ones are compatible. Dod your chokes have any markigns on them? Mine are blank!

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Hi Rich

Sorry I had not noticed your message until it has been brought to my attention by Westly.

I have since sold the gun as I wanted a 30 and I found the "Classic Game very heavy (due to the very solid build quality). I never did get to the bottom of where it was made. Best guess was that it was part of a sample batch made to show to the trade (most likely from Turkey) although I have no real evidence for this.

Looking at the picture of you choke it does look the same as the ones in my Classic Game. Despite asking numerous shooters and gun shops no-one could identify them. My gun was purchased at auction in Cheshire and came with only 2 chokes. Bizarrely I had bought a different gun several years earlier from a chap in Hull and it had come with a carboard box full of loose cartridges. The chap said he had only ever owned the gun he sold me and that he was giving up shooting altogether. On sorting though the cardboard box I found 3 unmarked chokes. No one could identify these chokes but when I bought the Classic Game several years later they turned out to be the 3 missing chokes to make up the complete set for that gun.

Sorry not to be of any real help but good luck with your search.

Rob

Thanks @Win96X

Interesting stuff. I've since heard from Teal Chokes (as replacement chokes is the background for my need ot identify the gun). Teal came back to me today with: "TR AK means its made by Akkar in Turkey".

A quick search on GunTrader found this:  https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/akkar/over-under/12-gauge/classic-240308112801002
Which has the same model number, brand marks etc. The seller is trade, and a gunroom I know as reputible; they know there onions. 

So, I'm pretty sure that these guns *are* by Akkar.

I havent had to order any (yet), but Akkar are still trading and seem to have a similar (at least asthetically) gun for sale, so hopefully still do parts? https://www.akkar.com.tr/churchill-206-silver-2-364 ...Wishful thinking? 

Hopefully this thread helps someone else in the future! 

Thanks again.

Akkar12g.png