First day out

Dave at kelton

Started picking up season yesterday on a super warm day in the hills. Not often we get out in shirtsleeves. Had a young dog out for his first day picking up. He did well, handled onto a fifty yard blind and a little bit of sweeping. Had time to chill after a dip in the burn between drives. Weather warning for tomorrow so cherished yesterday’s experience.

1F728AE1-195D-4A6F-BE63-1CC20D6F79EE.jpeg

F7C9BFF7-A1BB-433F-AB0F-41E3E2089936.jpeg

FC75D157-4434-41AB-A116-0F65592FCB74.jpeg

5 hours ago, holloway said:

How’s your fitness .? That looks lovely country but  hard work !

It is very demanding and takes us a few weeks to all get hill fit. Didn’t help when I pulled a thigh muscle this week so didn’t get too high yesterday. When you get up high the view alone is worth it!

Look's incredible , as most of our area is at sea level or just above we would have to have some altitude training before we done the long drive to north of the border , even then I am not sure some of our beaters would be able to climb some of those hills after eating to many Pork Pies during the off season :lol:

By the way Dave, what quarry were you after , Grouse ? , or Partridges , or are you to high up for Partridges ? 

On 02/09/2022 at 21:20, marsh man said:

Look's incredible , as most of our area is at sea level or just above we would have to have some altitude training before we done the long drive to north of the border , even then I am not sure some of our beaters would be able to climb some of those hills after eating to many Pork Pies during the off season :lol:

By the way Dave, what quarry were you after , Grouse ? , or Partridges , or are you to high up for Partridges ? 

Good to super high, partridges depending which drive we do and what the guns want. Takes us and the dogs a couple of weeks to get fit but getting there after five days out of the last ten on the hill. Another nice day today and covered about six miles myself but heaven knows what the dogs covered.

E90727A9-0EDA-48B6-B0B0-F5248124347B.jpeg

CFD83619-9FD8-4C2F-BAD2-AF6502F0CC2E.jpeg

2 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Good to super high, partridges depending which drive we do and what the guns want. Takes us and the dogs a couple of weeks to get fit but getting there after five days out of the last ten on the hill. Another nice day today and covered about six miles myself but heaven knows what the dogs covered.

E90727A9-0EDA-48B6-B0B0-F5248124347B.jpeg

CFD83619-9FD8-4C2F-BAD2-AF6502F0CC2E.jpeg

Look breath taking Dave , our season is pretty short compared to yours as we now only shoot duck and Pheasants , we have got our first small day on the last Saturday of October and our first full day two weeks later which by then the Pheasants will be in good nick .

Only been up your way once and went a bit higher up from Inverness to a little place called Duff Town , really good holiday and the locals were real nice people , maybe one day I will go up there again , but even though I am reasonably fit I might give a day's beating on the hills a miss .:good:

On 02/09/2022 at 21:20, marsh man said:

Look's incredible , as most of our area is at sea level or just above we would have to have some altitude training before we done the long drive to north of the border , even then I am not sure some of our beaters would be able to climb some of those hills after eating to many Pork Pies during the off season 

Reckon you'd get altitude sickness in Suffolk.

5 hours ago, Penelope said:

Reckon you'd get altitude sickness in Suffolk.

Tell yer what Paul , the house I was born in was actually below sea level and were constantly surrounded by water , in fact our village was called a island , like ole ditchie once said that he get a nose bleed when he climb over a five bar gate and the only hills we get down the marsh are created by Moles , and some of them are that big we have to walk round them to be on the safe side from light headiness :lol: