Mercedes - nightmare

Gordon R

Put new discs and pads all round on my lad's CLS 350 Merc today. Quality motor - do me a favour. Whoever designed the rear braking / suspension system wants a kick in the backside.

18MM bolt holds rear caliper, but the bolt head is covered by the rear anti roll bar. Had to use spanners and low access sockets. Just designed to make life awkward. Put car in maintenance mode, but only one rear caliper retracted. The other wouldn't retract, but then pushed the piston out of the caliper. Had to bleed brakes. Absolute joke.  A two hour job turned into 6 hours. 

This on a relatively new motor - less than three years old.

Edited by Gordon R

8 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Put new discs and pads all round on my lad's CLS 350 Merc today. Quality motor - do me a favour. Whoever designed the rear braking / suspension system wants a kick in the backside.

18MM bolt holds rear caliper, but the bolt head is covered by the rear anti roll bar. Had to use spanners and low access sockets. Just designed to make life awkward. Put car in maintenance mode, but only one rear caliper retracted. The other wouldn't retract, but then pushed the piston out of the caliper. Had to bleed brakes. Absolute joke.  A two hour job turned into 6 hours. 

eerrrr..............Toto Wolf ?

12 hours ago, Gordon R said:

But how many miles? Must be considerable, surely.

I have sockets and spanners from 4mm to 41mm, plus some really large sizes. I have, but rarely used, 23, 25, 26, 28, 29, 31 and 33mm. They have been used about once each on various cars / motorbikes. I did wonder why manufacturers used those uncommon sizes, when the most common are 22, 24, 27, 30 and 32mm, so you might well be right.

Had a gearbox failure on an E Class this year - 3 weeks out of warranty and I hadn't extended it. Cost to repair was £1800 and the dealer refused to discount the price. Long story short, I managed to get £800 back from them. This was on a three year old car with 25K on the clock by the way. My own fault I know, I should have taken out the extended warranty. Left a nasty taste all the same. I sold it in the trade for what I paid for it a year earlier. Back to BMW.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Gordon R said:

Had 114 cars, most of which I could do anything on them. You can't touch a thing on these.

I have also had lots of cars and thought it would be nice to get a model of each of them but I doubt I would remember them all. 

I started with Singer Chamois, Triumph Herald, Triumph 1300, Hilman Avenger and then an Opel Ascona. I used to work on them all upto the Opel but then work took over and I lost touch with all of it. I doubt I could do much beyond a service. Interesting now with my boat (yanmar diesel) I am having to re learn all of the things that I had long forgotten.

oowee - I dropped an engine into a Triumph Herald yesterday. A friend is building a kit car - Fairthorpe - which uses Herald chassis, engine and running gear. I am unimpressed with Heralds - chassis seems very thin gauge, rear suspension was leaf spring (across the back) - now trailing arms and coil over shocks. The gearbox output shaft and crankshaft rear do not have any oil seals, but a screw thread oil return system. 

Having built a couple of kit cars, this is not a model I would have chosen. 

41 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

oowee - I dropped an engine into a Triumph Herald yesterday. A friend is building a kit car - Fairthorpe - which uses Herald chassis, engine and running gear. I am unimpressed with Heralds - chassis seems very thin gauge, rear suspension was leaf spring (across the back) - now trailing arms and coil over shocks. The gearbox output shaft and crankshaft rear do not have any oil seals, but a screw thread oil return system. 

Having built a couple of kit cars, this is not a model I would have chosen. 

I remember lifting the engine out of mine standing on the suspension tops with a strap across my back. 🤣 things you do when your young. Made mine more powerful upgrading the engine to one from a spitfire and running it without an air filter. 🤣 It was definitely carp but so much better than the imp, in that it would start in the morning. 

I quite enjoyed fixing them back and buying a haines manual for each car I owned. 😊

Building a kit car was a dream out of my price bracket at the time. 

11 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Had 114 cars, most of which I could do anything on them. You can't touch a thing on these.

Which is one of the reasons my latest car is on lease, everything that happens or needs doing is someone else's problem and I get a loan car while they suck air through their teeth, twiddle their fingers and leave it to someone else.

I have done little on my own car as it is under warranty, but done loads of brakes, discs, suspension, intercooler etc on friends' cars. I have also been doing a few days a week at my daughter in laws nurseries - the list of building work is endless.

Sadly work on my latest CR500 AF Honda has ground to a halt. My youngest has slipped a disc and has retired from motocross, so the Suzuki RMZ 450 and two Honda CR500 AF's will be going. I haven't the enthusiasm to finish the second Honda, as I know he won't be riding it.