Wild boar problems

Mymwood

375JDJ   it is a wildcat  .... 444Marlin necked down to 375 .....  Barnes TTSX did the job.

This one we had to slide up a couple of planks onto the rear carrier on the small truck and went down the road almost with the front wheels in the air..... well it felt and looked like that anyway.

Will not be long before they get that big over here as we have excellent eating for them. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 29/09/2022 at 16:16, roughshooter29 said:

I'm an British expat now living in central europe. Please do take the above advice. Although it's possible to use a very light calibre on wild boar with perfect shot placement I'd always advocate going heavier rather than lighter.....as a famous hunter once said..."Use enough gun".

They can run mortally wounded quite a distance, lie up and then still have a go at you. They aren't Werewolves 🐺😄 but it's worth bearing in mind having a dog at your disposal is very handy.

The UKSHA members have dogs trained on wild boar in Europe so if you do 'lose' one and you still think that it is on your permission then you can give them a ring for help https://www.uksha.org.uk/

I love those hunting /tracking hounds they have over there.  I hit a big red hind a bit back in the liver an it took off across the mountain meadow into the forest. The guide got on his mobile and fifteen minutes later a chap turned up with his hound. Walked over to the spot where I shot and this dog took off on a long tracking lead.  1000mtrs later they found the hind lay down but still needing a finishing shot and that little dog had never turned off the trace of that animal. On reaching the hind the hound let loose with a long loud howl. Of course on the tracking lead we knew where she was but sometimes they let the hound run loose and it will sit and howl till you get there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/11/2022 at 07:32, Walker570 said:

375JDJ   it is a wildcat  .... 444Marlin necked down to 375 .....  Barnes TTSX did the job.

This one we had to slide up a couple of planks onto the rear carrier on the small truck and went down the road almost with the front wheels in the air..... well it felt and looked like that anyway.

Will not be long before they get that big over here as we have excellent eating for them. 

im told the red deer in England are much heavier than in scotland.....would that be the reason ?

6 minutes ago, ditchman said:

im told the red deer in England are much heavier than in scotland.....would that be the reason ?

It's not the eating, both eat the same, if anything Scottish deer probably eat more, it's the exposure.

English woodland red deer have a lot of shelter, minimising energy loss and therefore more food goes into growth, muscle and fat.

Scottish hill red deer use much more energy keeping warm from cold and wet and therefore don't grow as fast or as large on average.

Human equivalent is needing 5000 calories a day to survive at North Pole or top of Everest, whilst surviving on a Caribbean Island only needs 1500 calories a day.

55 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

It's not the eating, both eat the same, if anything Scottish deer probably eat more, it's the exposure.

English woodland red deer have a lot of shelter, minimising energy loss and therefore more food goes into growth, muscle and fat.

Scottish hill red deer use much more energy keeping warm from cold and wet and therefore don't grow as fast or as large on average.

Human equivalent is needing 5000 calories a day to survive at North Pole or top of Everest, whilst surviving on a Caribbean Island only needs 1500 calories a day.

excellent ....cheers for that .....its obvious really isnt it...:good:

22 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Article in the Telegraph this morning of a guy getting hooked by a boar In Portugal and lost an arm and a leg.

Be carefull out there, keep shooting till they stop wriggling.

That's one of the reasons i shoot out of a high seat i have been at ground level with them but killed on the spot others will run until injured or cornered 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Gone quiet on the subject Rim Fire, one hasn't caught up with you has it?

🤣😂 No still alive they came that one night and haven't been seen since no more damage which is a good thing but i got the permission to shoot a couple of Deer for my efforts we staked it out for over a week and no show but going up this week to get a Fallow so will put up a pic of that