Wild boar problems

Mymwood

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, smokingdragon said:

Just wondering if you could get a variation for S1 slug for boar, they use them a lot in France. Cetainly enough energy in a slug at 75 to 100mtrs.

Have seen Digweed on youtube shot them with slug out of an S1 shotgun. So can be done but it's a big bit of lead to be bouncing about so may be a pain to get them to grant it.

So how do they deal with them once they're in the trap?!  Dispatch one at a time?  Or some sort of way to get them out into transport for slaughter?

I could just imagine the pandemonium if you were to walk up to all those trapped pigs with a rifle and start trying to dispatch them!!  It would be a kind of "Hogocaust"

10 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

So how do they deal with them once they're in the trap?!  Dispatch one at a time?  Or some sort of way to get them out into transport for slaughter?

I could just imagine the pandemonium if you were to walk up to all those trapped pigs with a rifle and start trying to dispatch them!!  It would be a kind of "Hogocaust"

It seems they shoot them in the trap...https://pestsmart.org.au/toolkit-resource/trapping-of-feral-pigs/

The ******* are back in my dads field. Set the trap earlier. One at a time is just right. My old, deceased uncle shot for the FC for at least 50 years. Did many a boar with no more than his .270 as issued for deer. His own .243 did the job but so did a .22 with subs IF they were hit right. Smack between the eyes and they go down instantly. BB sort of shotgun cartridges  worked as well close up.  I damn well wouldn't do that but he could hit anything and I never saw anything need a second go. Not really the way things are done nowadays of course. 

You can get "teenagers" close enough to hit with a stick at this time of year.

On 17/09/2022 at 10:10, Nuke said:

Practise shot placement (with the actual caliber you will use) and NEVER shoot one if you don't have the balls to track an animal that may turn on you and attack.

/M

I'm an British expat now living in central europe. Please do take the above advice. Although it's possible to use a very light calibre on wild boar with perfect shot placement I'd always advocate going heavier rather than lighter.....as a famous hunter once said..."Use enough gun".

They can run mortally wounded quite a distance, lie up and then still have a go at you. They aren't Werewolves 🐺😄 but it's worth bearing in mind having a dog at your disposal is very handy.

Edited by roughshooter29

• 4 weeks later...

only just seen this thread i am going out today to put up a highs seat i had a phone call yesterday Boar ripping up a field i will post some pics later what i do is burry the feed  corn with molasses dose the trick you will know when the boar has hit your feeding station if you just sprinkle the feed on top of ground   all manner of creatures will feed of it 

On 29/09/2022 at 16:16, roughshooter29 said:

I'm an British expat now living in central europe. Please do take the above advice. Although it's possible to use a very light calibre on wild boar with perfect shot placement I'd always advocate going heavier rather than lighter.....as a famous hunter once said..."Use enough gun".

They can run mortally wounded quite a distance, lie up and then still have a go at you. They aren't Werewolves 🐺😄 but it's worth bearing in mind having a dog at your disposal is very handy.

Spot on advice.  I have a fair bit of experience of shooting 'hogs', quite a few over in Texas and they can be VERY aggresive .  Met one chap acting as a guide down in Texas and he had a serious limp. He showed me what was left of his calf muscle after a big old boar had hooked him.  They refer to them as Russians but usually they were a mixed bunch of cross breds.  Keep shooting till it stops wriggling was the local advice.  I shot one through the shoulders with a 375JDJ (Marlin 444 necked down)  It hit the deck and rolled over.  I approached and it rolled upright and pushed itself into the prickly pear with it's back feet. Into cover you did not want to venture so we sat back a couple of hours and then very carefull eased in to the thicket. You could follow the mark made by the front of the boar being pushed along for a bout 40yrds and then it obviously got back on it's front legs and we never did find that boar and usually if there was a dead carcase out there the buzzards would be over it the next day.

Hope you get one Rim Fire and enjoy those back straps ...... to die for.

On 22/10/2022 at 16:33, Walker570 said:

Hope you get one Rim Fire and enjoy those back straps ...... to die for.

Went and had a look they have ripped the field to bits took some pics but cant upload keep saying file to big put up a high seat and going to have a look tomorrow night Tuesday buried some corn and beans covered in molasses 

Hope one turns up as big as this one. Took three of us to lift it on the front carrier on the Jeep.  The other one was almost as heavy.   Mixed race European boar which the yanks call Russians  and domestics big hairy nasty whatsits.  375JDJ did the job although the first one ran about 50 yrds before it cartwheeled to a stop.

P1010150.JPG

P1010143.JPG

I remember my first boar. At night in an isolated spot. Literally fizzing with adrenaline. Completely missed on the first shot and it went down on the second. Anyway, thought I'd just sling it over my shoulders and walk back to camp like the guys in the magazines. As Walker says, it felt like it was literally screwed to the ground! My first attempt at field butchery followed.

11 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Don't want to hijack your thread but thought you might like to see the last one I shot in Slovenia which earned a Silver Medal consequently costing me an arm and a leg.

This is the one which felt like it was screwed to the ground.

016.JPG

018.JPG

028.JPG

Fantastic well done  some good tusks on that as well they don't look  big in the pics but they weigh a ton and a good looking rifle what was the caliber 

9 hours ago, Houseplant said:

I remember my first boar. At night in an isolated spot. Literally fizzing with adrenaline. Completely missed on the first shot and it went down on the second. Anyway, thought I'd just sling it over my shoulders and walk back to camp like the guys in the magazines. As Walker says, it felt like it was literally screwed to the ground! My first attempt at field butchery followed.

You got to laugh when you see a film and the shooter walks into camp with a Deer over his shoulder and just put it down 😂