Wild boar problems

Mymwood

Does anyone have any experience of wild boar appearing on their shoot area? In the last week, in Wales and not too far from the Forest of Dean, we have had just appeared in the last week, and just as the birds are moving out into the woods. Feeders turned over, contents eaten and ground ripped up.

We've not seen how many or sizes but would welcome thoughts on how best to deal with them.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Mymwood said:

Does anyone have any experience of wild boar appearing on their shoot area? In the last week, in Wales and not too far from the Forest of Dean, we have had just appeared in the last week, and just as the birds are moving out into the woods. Feeders turned over, contents eaten and ground ripped up.

We've not seen how many or sizes but would welcome thoughts on how best to deal with them.

Just been looking into variation for boar myself. Best wait up in the area with high seat as per deer I presume.

Dan

As above and fire up the barbecue.  Yes, thermal at night from high seat ...beware of the wind direction they have just as good a noses if not better than deer.

Use enough gun. I would personally say 30 cal at least to ensure to peg them on the spot.     I have 15 trophy sets of teeth on my office wall and have shot twice as many culls and females at least.

The largest boar was a silver medal and initially felt like it was screwed to the floor when we went to move it.

Even the meat from a large male boar or sow is very good eating and a half grown one is superb.

Edited by Walker570

Aolq is fine. They have moved into Somerset and already the numbers are growing. I am out often and had not seen any. Then the first time I saw them I counted 30 + animals. I doubt they will be controlled. I would try radio's to come on after dark on chat stations. Those bore in the F of Dean area have been shot to hell and back. They will be very nervous. 

20210604_110518.jpg

Edited by oowee

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

Aolq is fine. They have moved into Somerset and already the numbers are growing. I am out often and had not seen any. Then the first time I saw them I counted 30 + animals. I doubt they will be controlled. 

20210604_110518.jpg

American werewolf in Somerset 😮

Edited by Lloyd90
spelling

43 minutes ago, oowee said:

Aolq is fine. They have moved into Somerset and already the numbers are growing. I am out often and had not seen any. Then the first time I saw them I counted 30 + animals. I doubt they will be controlled. I would try radio's to come on after dark on chat stations. Those bore in the F of Dean area have been shot to hell and back. They will be very nervous. 

20210604_110518.jpg

I don't mind the odd hair on my crackling but that's one hell of a hairy pig.

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

As above and fire up the barbecue.  Yes, thermal at night from high seat ...beware of the wind direction they have just as good a noses if not better than deer.

Use enough gun. I would personally say 30 cal at least to ensure to peg them on the spot.     I have 15 trophy sets of teeth on my office wall and have shot twice as many culls and females at least.

The largest boar was a silver medal and initially felt like it was screwed to the floor when we went to move it.

Even the meat from a large male boar or sow is very good eating and a half grown one is superb.

This, you need an experienced shooter too?

Just now, did i miss said:

Thanks for that none up my way  anyway but is their a minimum caliber or is it just choice 

Was sort of thinking 243 and above

There is some advice that says .270 or above but no specified calibre. You need to avoid unnecessary pain or suffering. So range and calibre are important. It's often surprising to some what can be achieved with propper shot placement. 

12 hours ago, Mymwood said:

I'm around Monmouth and FoD and the only "problem" with boar is too many sausages.

I'd suggest setting up some extra feeders near one of your high seats. Get plenty of food out and they'll find it. May seem counter productive but you'll know where they are and will be able to keep the numbers in check. 

Trail cameras and even timed feeders can make things easier too. But they will find the food if they're near.

Thermal and/or night vision and suitable calibre and experience. And of course the means to deal with the carcass, they can get pretty big.

Not an expert by any means but feel free to message and I'll pass on any info and put you in touch with people who can help.

Edd

On 14/09/2022 at 16:52, oowee said:

20210604_110518.jpg

serious question now...........do wild bore make good bacon and sausages...........ive never tasted wild boar.....

22 minutes ago, ditchman said:

serious question now...........do wild bore make good bacon and sausages...........ive never tasted wild boar.....

Had a wild bore burger once, think it was at some country food fair, did not think much of it but not tried bacon or sausage, or any other cut of wild bore for that matter.

On 15/09/2022 at 00:43, eddoakley said:

Thermal and/or night vision and suitable calibre and experience. And of course the means to deal with the carcass, they can get pretty big.

Practise shot placement (with the actual caliber you will use) and NEVER shoot one if you don't have the balls to track an animal that may turn on you and attack.

/M

People shoot them with all sorts of things here including 22LR. I'm not advocating that, but it is all about shot placement. Otherwise, the more energy delivered, the bigger the margin of error, to a point at least. As for eating qualities, it depends what the animal has been eating. Not surprisingly, if a wild boar has been tucking in to rotting deer carcasses, it might not be a great eater. In addition, as with other animals, the old males are not the best table fair. 

My boy as a four year old getting stuck in to the first boar I ever shot. No complaints!