Battery charger ???.

samboy

Hi gang.

Looking for a new one for about £25. Only for a car. Any recommendations ?.

Thanks all. 

52 minutes ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Looking for a new one for about £25. Only for a car. Any recommendations ?.

Thanks all. 

I’ve got one of these. Never had any issues with it.

Maypole 7423A Battery Charger Auto Electronic 4A 12V https://amzn.eu/d/jh0Mu1J

I have a large 12 /24v starter / charger which will do commercials and a standard car charger - both Absaar which I have had for many years. No problems with either.

I also bought an Aldi charger for motocross bikes and quads. Excellent - not mega output if you want to charge quickly, but decent kit. Less than your budget.

25 minutes ago, ph5172 said:

I bought one of the Aldi or lidl smart chargers. It was about that price and has been brilliant 

Just a note of caution on the Lidl one.  If the battery drops below a certain voltage, the charger will refuse to charge it.  Even if you put it in 6v (motorbike) mode.  I bought one of these, a bit more than your budget, and have managed to recover otherwise dead batteries.  With the cost of batteries at the moment, I wouldn't scrimp on a charger, personally.

Funny you should mention this I have had this trouble recently. 
I cant recall what level it refuses to attempt charging, I think it’s 10v. 

I have got round it by connecting 2 batteries together and started it charging until it’s got enough residual charge then set the duff battery charging stand alone. 

This method has revived a couple of batteries but as you say it’s nowhere near as good my 3 way intelligent charger I had previously 

Edited by ph5172

Automatic chargers are pants, for the above reason.  I've recently had to buy a new charger after my very ancient one finally gave up the ghost.  As a stop-gap I borrowed one from a neighbour which I really liked, so I tracked it down at Argos for £35 (It is incorrectly described as "Automatic" in the product listing, it's definitely not automatic)

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8096669?clickSR=slp:term:car battery charger:1:34:2

You can get it cheaper off elsewhere on the web but have to wait for delivery, I needed mine pronto unfortunately!

Good bit of kit.

16 hours ago, sandspider said:

CTEK are supposed to be good, but possibly more than your budget?

I have 2 CTEKs.  Mixed feelings as mine have not been trouble free. 

The membrane type switches fail - I have two replaced on warranty.  It seems a 'known problem' as there are numerous you tube videos (Google "CTEK charger switch not working") showing how to change the actual switch unit (which under the membrane is a standard cheap switch available on line for pennies), but it is a fiddly job.  Not good for an expensive product, but they did replace without a problem for me.

However the last replacement seems to be still working and the larger, more modern of the two hasn't suffered the same issue ......... so maybe it is cured?

Other than the switch problem, they work well and have been OK (i.e. no low voltage problems mentioned about other units earlier in the thread) on everything I have tried.

• 2 weeks later...