Otters not too Koi

islandgun

9 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Great until they eat through a few £1,000's of 30 plus year old carp.

Well as been said on the BOP thread get better security around the fishery same as been said put nets up on pens which i may ad is not practical ok with a small pen but one that is a lot larger like an acre you just got to  put up with the losses or spend more time around the pens when BOP  are more active 

Just now, Rim Fire said:

Well as been said on the BOP thread get better security around the fishery same as been said put nets up on pens which i may ad is not practical ok with a small pen but one that is a lot larger like an acre you just got to  put up with the losses or spend more time around the pens when BOP  are more active 

Not all fisheries can be fenced, and how do you otter proof a river? The once famous barbel population at Adam's Mill on the Great Ouse, were decimated by otters a decade ago.

6 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Not all fisheries can be fenced, and how do you otter proof a river? The once famous barbel population at Adam's Mill on the Great Ouse, were decimated by otters a decade ago.

It doesn't matter it is against the law and that's it if you got Koi Carp and in a pond get electric fencing around it same as if you got pheasant poults and you don't want BOP to attack you net it or do some other form of protection 

18 minutes ago, Penelope said:

They belong here and i for one enjoy seeing them when im out on the rivers. Fisheries are profit making little enterprises that come and go. If a population of fish is encouraged to grow to an unnaturally high level, then finds itself seriously  reduced by natural predation  theres no point in spitting yer dummy out,thats the natural  world at work.

Edited by bishop

Its interesting to see the kill albeit in unnatural circumstances, the expert that was shocked by them hunting in daylight needs to get out more.

2 minutes ago, Penelope said:

I can see why that might pee you off a bit.  A fish is never going to make it in the popularity stakes against an Otter [as far as the general public are concerned] maybe live catch traps and removal from vulnerable areas might work, we have hundreds living on our local shoreline. I think feeding mostly on shore crabs and fish, some will have a ferret about in rabbit holes, Im sure some take some ground nesting birds and eggs they seem self limiting, not easy to survive in freezing water in winter !

I should add Im always pleased to see them

1 minute ago, islandgun said:

Its interesting to see the kill albeit in unnatural circumstances, the expert that was shocked by them hunting in daylight needs to get out more.

I can see why that might pee you off a bit.  A fish is never going to make it in the popularity stakes against an Otter [as far as the general public are concerned] maybe live catch traps and removal from vulnerable areas might work, we have hundreds living on our local shoreline. I think feeding mostly on shore crabs and fish, some will have a ferret about in rabbit holes, Im sure some take some ground nesting birds and eggs they seem self limiting, not easy to survive in freezing water in winter !

Oh, I agree, the otter is the darling of the protectionist brigade, all cute and fluffy and modern specimen fishing grew up without the otter's presence (Coincidently around the same time as the demise of otter populations).

6 minutes ago, bishop said:

They belong here and i for one enjoy seeing them when im out on the rivers. Fisheries are profit making little enterprises that come and go. If a population of fish is encouraged to grow to an unnaturally high level, then finds itself seriously  reduced by natural predation  theres no point in spitting yer dummy out,thats the natural  world at work.

+1 - Fascinating animals

10 minutes ago, bishop said:

Yep, bit like the Red Kite.

1 minute ago, Fatcatsplat said:

+1 - Fascinating animals

had a youngster sneek up on me and the lab out on the mussel beds a few years back in the dawn gloom. totally curious to see what we were.Takes a very special mentality to feel the desire to harm the otter, i think. Primarily one ruled by greed or ignorance. As i said unnaturally high fish populations are the problem -not the otters

39 minutes ago, Penelope said:

We went to a place in Yorkshire a couple of years ago, it was a trout place amongst others things, you could fish the lakes,  buy food and feed them, they were like giant ponds with huge fish in them, then there was the fisheries side, honestly the electric fencing looked like a small scale Jurassic park, it was really serious stuff, fella said it was the only way to keep the otters out.

We back on to a small river that now gets otters coming along, anyone with fish has had to step up their security or lose their fish, lots of video footage of them coming and going from ponds.

29 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Looks like the protectionists have got you all supping from the cup.

As mentioned earlier the otters up here in the Outer Hebrides are living a hard life which keeps their numbers limited, whereas the East Anglian Otters are having a relatively easy life feeding in stock ponds and well stocked rivers. Maybe this post is showing that there may not be as much food around as previously and they are resorting to desperate measures to sustain themselves