Train Ran Into A Pack Of Hounds On The Railway Line .

marsh man

This morning there was the sad story in the E D P of a train running into some hounds that were on the railway that were hit by the Norwich to London train near Diss in Norfolk , they were talking around six got hit and killed but the train driver said it was a large number of dogs , the dogs were not hunting at the time according to a spokesman , they were being exercised .

No doubt we will hear more about in the days to come .

That's a pretty hideous thing to happen. The owners and exercisers must be devastated.

5 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

I reckon the antis and packham-ites will seize on it for a free for all misinformation campaign.

That's your first reaction? Nothing about how awful it must have been for the dogs, those exercising the hounds, the driver or anyone witnessing it?

1 minute ago, chrisjpainter said:

That's a pretty hideous thing to happen. The owners and exercisers must be devastated.

That's your first reaction? Nothing about how awful it must have been for the dogs, those exercising the hounds, the driver or anyone witnessing it?

My comment was about how an awful accident will likely be spun into something like " them damn toffs were hunting with dogs and forced them to cross a railway line getting them killed...those horrible wildlife killing toffs" and all the usual tripe 'they' spew.

Of course it was bloody awful for the dogs and witnesses, I don't see how you take that as my "reaction". It was a statement that gave nothing about my initialreaction and gave my thoughts on how it is likely to be spun by those that look for ANY opportunities to take a dig at fieldsports. Just because I didn't chime in with some version of the old "thoughts and prayers" does not mean I didn't think it was an awful incident. 

Jesus wept... maybe we do need some form of thought police to ensure I feel suitably aggrieved so people don't think in totally heartless.

36 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

My comment was about how an awful accident will likely be spun into something like " them damn toffs were hunting with dogs and forced them to cross a railway line getting them killed...those horrible wildlife killing toffs" and all the usual tripe 'they' spew.

Of course it was bloody awful for the dogs and witnesses, I don't see how you take that as my "reaction". It was a statement that gave nothing about my initialreaction and gave my thoughts on how it is likely to be spun by those that look for ANY opportunities to take a dig at fieldsports. Just because I didn't chime in with some version of the old "thoughts and prayers" does not mean I didn't think it was an awful incident. 

Jesus wept... maybe we do need some form of thought police to ensure I feel suitably aggrieved so people don't think in totally heartless.

:good: spot on.

edit

...oops forgot to mention how sad I feel for the dogs, owner and everyone else involved.

Edited by old'un

I understand many years ago the hunt lost several hounds to a train near my house. 

The main line (Bristol to Birmingham) runs quite close by and the embankment was then covered in coppiced ash trees, the poles cut from them being used in the hopyards that were around here then (all gone now).  There were often rabbits in the ash coppices and so foxes would have been around.  It was way before my time and my father (who owned the land adjacent to the railway both sides) knew about it, but I think it happened before his time here (which began in 1947). 

The present hunt never go to that area now, but still (trail) hunt locally.

Yep, big mistake by somebody.  Where they using a level crossing?  Still a few agricultural ones with no gates. The truth will tell but will as said be used.   Just heard that a long stretch of the east coast line has been deer fenced on both sides as numerous deer where getting hit.   Should all lengths of acrive rail be fenced accordingly.  HS2 for instance.   Motorways have been deer fenced on vulnerable sections for a long time.  Just common sense in my book.

Edited by Walker570