Lace up wellies

Minky

Some years ago there used to be short lace up wellies available.  THEN rigger boots came out and the short rubber lace up wellies sort of disappeared.  They were ideal for walking through autumn longer grass of an evening when the grass was heavy with dew and you got wet feet with ankle boots, but it was too warm to be wearing long wellies.  I've had a look at the usual places online... fleabay, amazon and done a google search but some that I have found are either  out of stock, hideous colours or I would have to remortgage to buy.  Again years ago you could go to any builders merchant and get a GOOD pair of stout wellies but now they all have steel toecaps, steel sole plates. most boots. seem to be of Chinese origin even if they  are a brand name and are expensive rubbish.  Some don't last very long at all.  This even goes for the expensive makes like Le Chamo etc.  So what boots do you use .

27 minutes ago, Minky said:

Some years ago there used to be short lace up wellies available.  THEN rigger boots came out and the short rubber lace up wellies sort of disappeared.  They were ideal for walking through autumn longer grass of an evening when the grass was heavy with dew and you got wet feet with ankle boots, but it was too warm to be wearing long wellies.  I've had a look at the usual places online... fleabay, amazon and done a google search but some that I have found are either  out of stock, hideous colours or I would have to remortgage to buy.  Again years ago you could go to any builders merchant and get a GOOD pair of stout wellies but now they all have steel toecaps, steel sole plates. most boots. seem to be of Chinese origin even if they  are a brand name and are expensive rubbish.  Some don't last very long at all.  This even goes for the expensive makes like Le Chamo etc.  So what boots do you use .

Used to wear those that you are talking about at the pit for a full shift and they would rot your feet 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Were you known in the trade as Rot foot Harry? 😀..  Why did this happen?  Did they split and was water getting or were they just hot and damp because of the working conditions and wearing them all day every day.?  I know that they were common on construction sites but then everyone was wearing Sort of leather rigger boots... which didn't seem to last 5 minutes...  and the prices went up loads.  At the weekend I went to a friends and shot clays from one of his fields that he has fitted two trap houses.  The grass was about 4 inches long and when I got home both of my boots were saturated right through and my socks as well.  My boots are a good condition but obviously not waterproof.  I could have worn my wellies but shorter ones would be better than ankle boots.

3 hours ago, Minky said:

Were you known in the trade as Rot foot Harry? 😀..  Why did this happen?  Did they split and was water getting or were they just hot and damp because of the working conditions and wearing them all day every day.?  

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 hot and wet conditions and your feet can't breathe, when you took them off at the end of the shift you would have thought that would been in a bath, your feet would be all wrinkled.

Leather pit boots got wet and wellingtons were cumbersome.

In the circumstances you describe I would get a cheap pair of neoprene wellingtons 👍

1 hour ago, Houseplant said:

Popular here with the old timers. Haven't tried them myself.

http://workoutfitters.co.nz/shop/foot-wear/gumboots/ashley/

Yep.  they are pretty much what I meant.  They look a bit lean on the tread though.  Minor issue.... I  haven't seen anything them online  here in the UK.  Some of the hideous colours and designs that are on offer here in UK make me wonder.  Like weird pastel colours and sort of reduced heels like Cuban heeled dance boots.  And that's the men's boots.  I even saw a sort of wellies with high heels.  Tottaly impractical for use on soft wet ground where they would sink right up to the axle.  The other thing is the amount of stock items that are out of stock.  And inflated prices.  One of the son in laws used to fly out to China and Hong Kong where there was a great big multi store that sold everything and he used to bring back wellies that to all intents and  purposes were high end products that would be a fraction of the asking price here.  Is it Brexit or covid.?

8 minutes ago, Jim Neal said:

John, do you have some of these yourself and if so what are the pros/cons?

Not now.   I had a pair when they were Bridgedales, but now I wear leather boots (occasionally for long walks) or wellies (often).  Two friends of mine swore by them and wore them almost daily, but they were never quite right for my feet somehow.  That was 30 years ago, and may not represent what is made now.

49 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Not now.   I had a pair when they were Bridgedales, but now I wear leather boots (occasionally for long walks) or wellies (often).  Two friends of mine swore by them and wore them almost daily, but they were never quite right for my feet somehow.  That was 30 years ago, and may not represent what is made now.

OK thanks John

The ex Bridgedale Dryboots were very good. I have worn them for thirty years for picking-up and stalking. I still have my third pair. They are mega comfortable but quite heavy. They have a steel shank in the sole and can be cold for standing about but are great when mostly walking. I like ‘em.

Reverted back to Dunlop's short wellies for dog walking in wet evenings in grassy fields and for £15 hard to beat (although did put an extra insole in them from Aldi).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DUNLOP-Short-Half-Height-Wellies-Easier/dp/B09NJGVBSW

For more difficult terrain still go with army issue leather boots.

Edited by Stonepark

13 hours ago, dogone said:

Try Bean boots, rubber bottom and leather tops. Come in slip on and lace up. Six to 18 inches high. Google ll bean. Might be pricy to get to UK but last me five to seven years of hard wearing.

They look pretty good.

3 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Reverted back to Dunlop's short wellies for dog walking in wet evenings in grassy fields and for £15 hard to beat (although did put an extra insole in them from Aldi).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DUNLOP-Short-Half-Height-Wellies-Easier/dp/B09NJGVBSW

For more difficult terrain still go with army issue leather boots.

and these.  Cheap enough and at the end of the day for many years I  just managed with a plain ole cheap pair of standard  wellies.  A bit warm some times but at any time of the UK year you can run into wet grass or the low buggy bit of ground.  It was more the evening wander or in the morning when the heavy dew was on the grass.  My spaniel made me a custom pair of shorter wellies.  BLOODY DOG.