Infusing gin

mgsontour

7 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

That's kind of the theory unless proven not worthy

In that case  -  1.5l kilner add about 2/3 of a kilo fruit and up to the same of sugar (depending on fruit and taste) add 1l of gin and shake.

Shake daily till sugar dissolved then weekly for 6 weeks then allow to settle.     We leave minimum of 3 months and up to a year or more.

I have made sloe, mulberry, damson, blackberry and crab apple (with vodka that one).  Sloe, mulberry, damson all good, blackberry rather dull - lacked flavour.  The only 'tip' really is for sloes, freeze before use, and don't add too much sugar.  You can always add more later, but you can't take it out.

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have made sloe, mulberry, damson, blackberry and crab apple (with vodka that one).  Sloe, mulberry, damson all good, blackberry rather dull - lacked flavour.  The only 'tip' really is for sloes, freeze before use, and don't add too much sugar.  You can always add more later, but you can't take it out.

Wild blackberries better in Whiskey. (same technique)

Just now, Yellow Bear said:

Wild blackberries better in Whiskey. (same technique)

I've also hear blackcurrants are good in whisky, but not tried it myself.  I use much the same method as you do, but less precise I suspect as I don't weigh - just fill the container and I use old glass fruit juice jars (1 litre?)

I've done forest fruits (Aldi frozen), pineapple, Chilli and lemon, orange, strawberry, stem ginger ( better in Brandy, oh YES), rosehip, Parma Violet, Toffee ( AWerthers original), blackcurrant, blueberry.worst of all was wife's idea of Blackpool Rock. It ended up,Barrie Pink and tasted like toothpaste

Large kilner jar, half fill with fruit, level up with caster sugar, add 1l Gin BUT MUST leave airspace at top as it eases the shaking. Shake everyday for a few weeks then every time you remember. Leave about 3 months. If it's cloudy filter through coffee filter paper