Middle class housing crisis

Lloyd90

8 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Every new estate has to have social housing to get the planning now . It’s been massive news in the papers dude . 
you spend £400,000 on a house but next door is basically council .

my last girlfriend has the right to buy her 3 bed brand new house worth £230,000 for £50,000 in 5 years . It was a lovely house 

I new about new estates having to have social housing,  but how many would want the house next to the cheaper houses?

I didn't know about the buying option,  seems crazy, because then those houses are lost to the system. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

I don't see how most of that is possible,  there were thousands of new houses and apartments built nearby, with affordable housing incorporated,  they look different but similar style,  you can't just put social housing into existing estates.

Not all council estates end up like Ghetos, it's more dependent on who's living in them, what amenities there are etc.

I think they should be building on brown field  sites, that's what they did here.

And there's the problem,  houses that we're planned to be cheaper aren't so aren't available to those who need them.

They could be if rented. Building on brownfield is the right approach but its used by Authorities to stop building altogether. The same with greenfield land. Put a greenfield boundary around your area and you stop building forcing new development to the next area. More traffic, more green land lost, more expensive services but you don't upset your voters. That in a nutshell is why we don't have enough homes. The Govt has a plan to force LA's to have development but half the govt don't want it for the same reasons. 

Corbyn proposed to build 150000 council houses, Boris pledged a million new homes. Rishi proposes 300000 a year to be built. What stands in the way is nimbyism from existing home owners.

Screenshot_20221126-210428_Google.jpg.e0ea799493c4dfa995291e7ba42b862e.jpg

This is what was done near us, with loads of other houses still going up, but Buckshaw was built on the Old Royal Ordnance site, a perfect use of the land, but its obviously put pressure on the road network.

Shops added, train platform,  school, doctors, pubs, but I'll bet the affordable houses were the absolute minimum required. 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Screenshot_20221126-210428_Google.jpg.e0ea799493c4dfa995291e7ba42b862e.jpg

This is what was done near us, with loads of other houses still going up, but Buckshaw was built on the Old Royal Ordnance site, a perfect use of the land, but its obviously put pressure on the road network.

Shops added, train platform,  school, doctors, pubs, but I'll bet the affordable houses were the absolute minimum required. 

Chorley affordable housing on part of the village.

https://democracy.chorley.gov.uk/documents/s74972/Report.pdf

4 hours ago, Mice! said:

I new about new estates having to have social housing,  but how many would want the house next to the cheaper houses?

I didn't know about the buying option,  seems crazy, because then those houses are lost to the system. 

I live on an estate where we are the only private road .90% of the estate is private now tho . I couldn’t believe the buying option . It’s nuts . 

43 minutes ago, oowee said:

Chorley affordable housing on part of the village.

https://democracy.chorley.gov.uk/documents/s74972/Report.pdf

Screenshot_20221126-232200_Drive.jpg.417233e0fccdf98db368cd09dbe4f0d8.jpg

Only 113 properties,  and not all delivered. 

Screenshot_20221126-232057_Drive.jpg.0a0a7938239e51d0b6e2360e29e4ec97.jpg

Then according to this, a couple of properties aren't built, so the developers pay the council,  but probably put £300k houses there instead 

so it's not exactly loads of affordable housing,  and the developers are playing games, and if you saw the place you wouldn't want to live there, it's very compact,  allocated parking, but the train platform with free parking is great.

4 minutes ago, team tractor said:

I live on an estate where we are the only private road .90% of the estate is private now tho . I couldn’t believe the buying option . It’s nuts . 

It is when the buy option is so cheap, I can well Imagine people using it as a future investment 

I read that 40 percent of right to buy are now (or become) rental properties and 25 percent of those are paid for solely by housing benefit. 

Councils don’t replace 1 for 1 as it’s physically impossible to replace a house that has been sold for a loss (not including the forward rental loss) So a lot are instead using the shared ownership schemes as the offset (many of these schemes are unaffordable anyhow)

A local large site developer would not tell people at the buying off plan stage what houses were marked for social housing. Somehow it trickled out that the plots required a rotary washing line that was marked with a crossed O. 

The builders had people pulling out all over the shop to the point work stopped on some properties. 

i also read that councils were offering more points if you waived the right to buy - as such pushing you up the list and retaining stock. 
I thought the transfer of stock to housing associations was a a way to remove the right to buy and retain stock??

Edited by ph5172

On 25/11/2022 at 22:33, armsid said:

When i left school at 16 i started as an apprentice at Morris Engines in Coventry went to college day release and 1 evening got my City and Guilds as engineer worked at Jaguar on Maintenance During this time many firms closed we had joined the Common Market engineering colleges in Coventry closed down and lots of school leavers from a city built on manufacturing had no jobs and all the Gov said go into higher education earn £30k plus after you qualify so the higher degree colleges churned out graduates for these high wage jobs and house prices went up as those people that worked in factories sold up and moved to where the work was These vacant houses were let to the student explosion in Coventry and they have not fallen meaning 2 wages and in some cases topped up with UC is the only way they can live and afford a house oh for the old days 2x your wage would buy a house not any more

Was that up the factory on the Stoney Stanton Road? I was in living in Hillfields did my time at the Humber/Rootes/Chrysler mess and ended up at the Whitley tech centre. Went to Canada when I was 21 came back later and all the companies were dying so I ended up contracting around the world with the skills that Cov had given me. So sad to see Cov today, its all shopping centres with no soul.

38 minutes ago, Boybrit said:

Was that up the factory on the Stoney Stanton Road? I was in living in Hillfields did my time at the Humber/Rootes/Chrysler mess and ended up at the Whitley tech centre. Went to Canada when I was 21 came back later and all the companies were dying so I ended up contracting around the world with the skills that Cov had given me. So sad to see Cov today, its all shopping centres with no soul.

Ghost Town.  I did my Planning Degree at the Lanch and saw the specials at the Union and General Wolf (Foleshill Road)  in 1980. 

9 hours ago, Mice! said:

Then according to this, a couple of properties aren't built, so the developers pay the council,  but probably put £300k houses there instead 

so it's not exactly loads of affordable housing,  and the developers are playing games, and if you saw the place you wouldn't want to live there, it's very compact,  allocated parking, but the train platform with free parking is great.

I don't know the proportion but this was for just part of the site. The density will comply with the latest code standards. Builders get paid by for building so the more they can build the higher the potential profit. I have seen some homes that are drawn as 5 bedroom for planning (parking and space standards) and then sold as 5 / 8 bedroom. Not great for outside space with two or three of these in a street. 

At the end of the day house price growth has been caused by the very wealthy to make themselves even more money. Its always been the same and I can't see it changing. 

Take globalisation, it has benefited the rich at the expense of the working masses, it has increased wealth equality across the globe at the expense of the wealthiest nation's working/middle classes, while the super rich just get richer, it's not going to change anytime soon. 

11 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

At the end of the day house price growth has been caused by the very wealthy to make themselves even more money. Its always been the same and I can't see it changing. 

Take globalisation, it has benefited the rich at the expense of the working masses, it has increased wealth equality across the globe at the expense of the wealthiest nation's working/middle classes, while the super rich just get richer, it's not going to change anytime soon. 

This is not true. My father bought his first house as an engineer in 1958 for £3k. He was the working class. Many people did the same. The house price rise is simply a result of a lack of supply. A supply that is restricted by those that have houses that don't want anymore built by them. A lack of supply exacerbated by landowning lobbyists. 

The lack of globalisation by the British car industry ensured its demise. The globalisation of the Japanese and US car industries secured it's continuation. Small country syndrome will hasten the demise of Britain but many (rich or enlightened) will of course prosper despite (rather than at the expense of) the myopic vision of little Englanders. 

19 minutes ago, oowee said:

This is not true. My father bought his first house as an engineer in 1958 for £3k. He was the working class. Many people did the same. The house price rise is simply a result of a lack of supply. A supply that is restricted by those that have houses that don't want anymore built by them. A lack of supply exacerbated by landowning lobbyists. 

The lack of globalisation by the British car industry ensured its demise. The globalisation of the Japanese and US car industries secured it's continuation. Small country syndrome will hasten the demise of Britain but many (rich or enlightened) will of course prosper despite (rather than at the expense of) the myopic vision of little Englanders. 

When Blair removed the 3x earnings cap on mortgages, prices shot up overnight as everyone could afford a more expensive house, but with the same number of properties it just put the price up for everyone, while banks raked in billions in higher mortgages on money printed at the point of sale. 

Supply and demand in the housing market means for every additional person with a roof over their head, the cost goes up for everyone, hence why immigration an EU membership was terrible for our young trying to get on the ladder. 

Globalisation has absolutely made the rich richer and poorer countries wealthier, but at the expense of the working masses like the UKs. 

31 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

When Blair removed the 3x earnings cap on mortgages, prices shot up overnight as everyone could afford a more expensive house, but with the same number of properties it just put the price up for everyone, while banks raked in billions in higher mortgages on money printed at the point of sale. 

Supply and demand in the housing market means for every additional person with a roof over their head, the cost goes up for everyone, hence why immigration an EU membership was terrible for our young trying to get on the ladder. 

Globalisation has absolutely made the rich richer and poorer countries wealthier, but at the expense of the working masses like the UKs. 

👍 But it will fall on deaf ears

12 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Hello, not forgetting greedy estate agents and the gazumping era 

Down here in Cornwall they are building very shoddy small timber frame houses on estates in places where there is no obvious work and no infrastructure like schools and doctors

Yes they are  'affordable" but who on earth is going to want to live there?

Just ticking boxes and meeting quotas but not really solving the housing shortage