30-6

When an item is bought and has a 1 year or 3 year guarantee, if bought in a shop it would start on the day of purchase, the day you have the item in your hands. If bought online on say the 15th but delivered on say 20th. Does the guarantee start on the 15th or the 20th ?

I'm no lawyer but my vote would go to when the item is delivered - assuming that the vendor is responsible for delivery.  The reason I say that is that I think the 'title' (and responsibility) to the the item remains the vendors until he completes the sale which would include the delivery.  (The vendor is also responsible for the appropriate packaging etc.)

However, the paperwork (i.e. receipt) would reflect the date of sale.  Just my opinions, and no 'legal' underpinning.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/19/enacted

Check note 14, says from date of delivery. 

1 hour ago, stu64 said:

as newbie to this said- its the date on the invoice that matters

But if goods weren’t received for 9 months due to manufacturing delays- then would you be happy, or expect only 3 months of warranty 

5 hours ago, discobob said:

Do you often get asked a question to which you answer - and then get told your wrong?? Mine does that 😞

As Amateur has said- it’s universal and even when right, will still be wrong due to some made up technicality or the fact my MIL says so!!!

But if you buy a brand new car the date on the invoice is when you pay for it , but it could of  been sitting in a field for a year 

As an aside - my eldest got a brand new E Class Mercedes which lasted one week. The history showed that it wasn't brand new and had been parked somewhere outside Paris for a year, before the sale. In that time, rainwater had entered the wiring, via a missing bulkhead grommet. Car was scrapped.