Easy bird box

Old farrier

Right gents 

I’m looking for some plans for a bird nesting box 

Must be simple enough for a kid to make with easily achievable success 

ideas dimensions plans or pictures please 

though it would be nice for the grandkids to have a little workshop time and maybe learn to create something useful 

Thanks in advance 

of 

note to mod’s if I should have put this in the craft section please move and my apologies 🤔

It's a very satisfying thing to do OF. I made this years ago (20 probably). Each year I take them down and clean them. If they don't get any nesting birds I change the aspect. If we paint them we do this very early usually end of Dec ot early Jan. The birds don't like a whiff of paint. This year the blue tits raised two hatches. It took me more time to photograph this one than to build the nest box !! Good luck.

image.jpeg.50862850eea2c7195a6171eb10babc08.jpeg

Edited by Whitebridges

44 minutes ago, ditchman said:

what about........bore out a round log of wood on a press......drill a hole for a front door ...put a roof on it (with hing)....and screw a cleat on it to hang it up...?

Good idea mate could be a bit difficult for a 8year old 😊

1 minute ago, Whitebridges said:

It's a very satisfying thing to do OF. I made this years ago (20 probably). Each year I take them down and clean them. If they don't get any nesting birds I change the aspect. If we paint them we do this very early usually end of Dec ot early Jan. The birds don't like a whiff of paint. This year the blue tits raised two hatches. It took me more time to photograph them than to build the nest box.

Thought it might teach them about measuring and nailing stuff along with the nature aspect of the process 

many thanks for the reply 

18 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

I just wing it and make them out of old pallets, very easy.

I’ve got more planks than you can shake a stick at rather not have to break up a pallet and add to it 

but it’s a good idea thanks for the input 😊👍

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Good idea mate could be a bit difficult for a 8year old 😊

Thought it might teach them about measuring and nailing stuff along with the nature aspect of the process 

many thanks for the reply 

I’ve got more planks than you can shake a stick at rather not have to break up a pallet and add to it 

but it’s a good idea thanks for the input 😊👍

put a large mortising tool in the drill press....all he /she has to do is pull the lever up and down......wont come to a lot of harm....it will have a set depth....and it will be a good and safe tool to widen thereir knowledge on :good:

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

put a large mortising tool in the drill press....all he /she has to do is pull the lever up and down......wont come to a lot of harm....it will have a set depth....and it will be a good and safe tool to widen thereir knowledge on :good:

Its the chainsaw to cut the logs I’m not sure about 

ill ask TT 🤔

2 hours ago, Whitebridges said:

It's a very satisfying thing to do OF. I made this years ago (20 probably). Each year I take them down and clean them. If they don't get any nesting birds I change the aspect. If we paint them we do this very early usually end of Dec ot early Jan. The birds don't like a whiff of paint. This year the blue tits raised two hatches. It took me more time to photograph this one than to build the nest box !! Good luck.

image.jpeg.50862850eea2c7195a6171eb10babc08.jpeg

Nice one Whitebridges  and a very nice photo , although with you being an ole Norfolk boy I thought the paintwork would had been Yellow and Green :lol: , or are those colours just for Canaries and not Blue Tits :good:

29 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Ready to paint 

a fun time making the bird box 

hopefully something will nest in it 

many thanks for the helpful advice from the members 

settled on the rspb plans as it was fairly simple 

all recycled wood but that won’t show under the paint 

Probably more likely if you put it outside in the garden!    :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Probably more likely if you put it outside in the garden!    :rolleyes:

No that’ll never work 

I need to paint it first just wondering what colour 🤔

7 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Looks good! Next step size it up and make an owl box!

It’s got to be big for the owls around here 😊