New 410

mickanles

19 minutes ago, 243ack said:

Just sent one back. Cartridges would not eject; blowing primers completely out of shell. Tried 5 different brands of 3" cartridges. I cannot see how it passed proof.

Please let us know how you get on with yours.

That’s bad news

Lets hope that it was a one off

Will keep you updated 👍🏻

4 hours ago, 243ack said:

Just sent one back. Cartridges would not eject; blowing primers completely out of shell. Tried 5 different brands of 3" cartridges. I cannot see how it passed proof.

Please let us know how you get on with yours.

What load were they? Is say you'd probably have to go 19gram to get it to cycle but then I've never shot or even seen a 410 semin auto. Looks like if it cycles it will be great fun to use

I took out my new 20 gauge version of exactly the same gun this morning. No problems, other than the usual getting used to an unfamilliar gun. I've always heard good things about Hatsans which is why I bought one. I'd certainly have considered a .410 version if I decided I wanted another, so I'm curious to hear how you get on too.

I wonder whether the issue described above is the opposite of the issue one usually gets with gas semis and short cases?

On the basis that the case creates the gas seal in the chamber which forces the combustion gas to go through the piston and that a short case means that seal holds less long, (ergo, semis sometimes struggle with short cases), I wonder whether the high pressure and long case of a 3" .410 cartridge is causing the opposite problem. By which I mean, the gas seal is held too long (in a gun also designed to handle shorter shells) and the weak point at some point in the pressure curve is the primer pocket. Hence popped primers and a sudden loss in pressure as the piston is halfway through it's travel (ergo, failure to cycle). I imagine 243ack was probably getting a flash out of the breech and a face full of gas either way...?

Obviously that applies unless you're talking about the old-school Eley shells which have a well-known habit of tearing the front of the case to pieces (also afffecting gas seal and behaving like the short-case scenario). But 5 different brands - that's got to be something else.

For the record, (and in case anyone digs this up with the words "Hatsan 20 gauge" in a search), mine seemed happy enough with the punchier of the two 21g shells I tried (Eley CT), in spite of a 65mm case, so I bought a slab. The other one I tried, Fiocchi TT, wouldn't cycle reliably, but I had no idea Fiocchi made soft cartridges like that - it was like shooting a BB gun. My son was disappointed as he rather liked them in his O/U but I'm not buying two brands of the same type of cartridge when one will do...

Again, looking forward to a review of how it works out for you.

Edited by neutron619

On 02/02/2023 at 11:26, Ultrastu said:

Ps neutron  how did the chokes work out on the 20b  ? 

Regrettably I haven't had the chance to get out and pattern it yet, although I can say that on the clays, the "half" choke felt rather tight. Tried the "quarter" on some nearer in and instinctively I'd say it was looser, but I've no cardboard to prove any of that. Didn't notice much of a difference in the breaks or feel that I was hitting any that I'd have missed with the other one.

It's still an unfamiliar gun though, so take all that with a handful of salt. Will update as and when.

Have a Remington 1100 in 410, no problems at all if you use the right cartridges, 

doesnt like Fioci 3 inch, they tend to stick half way out on ejecting, reloads 1/2 ounce over 15 grains of SP3 no problem.

gamebore 3 inch no problems either,

full choke a bit of an Andy cap on skeet but it's fun,cheap to reload so it suits me.👍

Spoke to a gun shop about this today they had exactly the same issue returned both theirs to the supplier  (sports man gun Centre) apparently is a firing pin issue being the wrong type too long and powerfull that it knocks the brass loose or the primer out  - that's what I was told ....

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

Spoke to a gun shop about this today they had exactly the same issue returned both theirs to the supplier  (sports man gun Centre) apparently is a firing pin issue being the wrong type too long and powerfull that it knocks the brass loose or the primer out  - that's what I was told ....

Thanks for putting this up

Will get in touch with shop this week & see what they want to do,

6 minutes ago, Chriskent said:

Well tbh, if it is the above problem being the firing pin is too long. That’s a very simple fix.

Well yeh but i’m not buying a brand new gun just to have to fix it before I can safely shoot it… i’m sure they’ll do a recall if all those affected make a complaint 👍

I'm personally not too convinced by the firing pin line .it sounds more like a timing issue to me .ie the bolt is coming rearward too early in the whole  cycle . This is probably  caused by either a very weak spring or /and a light bolt or /and  too big a gas ports that action the bolt .

This would lead to a bolt coming back too early while there is still significant pressure  inside the case meaning the brass gets ripped off cos the plastic is still being pushed hard into the breech walls and sticking while extraction  is taking place .

It may not be but it seems more plausibly than the firing pin to me .

This would also explain why so far its only the semi autos having issues and not the pumpers .

I have a Remington 1100 in 410 and never had a problem with various brands being ejected never had a primer blow out never had brass pulled off the plastic Either I use my home loads and like fiocchi cartridges

i had a armsan 410 and continually had primers blow out and cartridges not being ejected this went back to the supplier who told me there was a problem and I had a full refund

i will get a hatsan 410 to use with tss for fowl and in the pigeon hide I’m not going to use my cherished Remington 

on the small bore hunters fb group there are a few guys who have the hatsan 410s tested various cartridges and have had no problems with them

One stripped the gun cleaned any factory grease and any machining debris cleaned the gas port oiled and reassembled the gun and had no problems

As for firing pins, many years ago supervising range firing of a GPMG an officer cadet was having multiple stoppages. I told him to strip and clean the weapon as it was obviously a gas stoppage. 

On stripping he brought me the firing pin and asked if I thought it was sharp enough as the end was rounded. 🤣

I of course sent him to the most senior officer on the day for it sharpening with his pocket sharpener.

Last time I saw him he was a Brigadier🙄