Anyone knowledgeable on concrete (Turkey)

ditchman

have heard Turkey have issued over 100 arrest warrants on contractors that were involved in the collapsed structures...........im not surprised   was watching drone footage of the disaster area's and the buildings around the collapsed ones ...some of them (most of them are totally untouched ..not even broken windows or cracks in the walls ...the was one picture of 5 buildings surrounding a totally pancaked block of flats and all the buildings were totally intact ....

still very surprised at the whitish colour and the powdery nature of the rubble on pancaked structures

On 07/02/2023 at 20:00, Fisheruk said:

Undoubtedly poor construction, but we’re not much better in many respects. Grenfell- I watched the fire in real time and new that Building Regulations had been compromised. Subsequently hundreds of properties were found to have similar problems. Clerk of Works, we don’t have them now in this country and with private Building Regulation contractors- it’s not far away from he who pays the piper calls the tune!

I'm a londoner and I can remember when they were building all those tower blocks like Grefell people refused to move into them. It's always been believed they were death traps

On 07/02/2023 at 16:47, Centrepin said:

Debonded concrete is called spalling concrete. It's what happens when rusty rebar is placed inside of poor quality or if you read my earlier post on this, out of spec concrete. The rust expands and causes cracks to appear, the concrete then crumbles allowing more water to cause more rust and so on.

The old (well new 1976) Palais de Congress in Rouen, France was such. Some call this defect "concrete cancer". By 1996 it was closed and empty and demolished in 2010. You could in the early 2000s see the rebar visible where the concrete had broken away in the pillars on its outside. Yet take a trip to the Normandy coast and the German made blockhouses from WWII show none of these defects. The lesson is clear one was built with someone skimming off the profits.

I grew up on and around Park Hill and Hyde Park flats in Sheffield and they were showing "concrete cancer" then. A lot have gone now with a lot of remedial money spent on the remaining blocks. Strange that all the square tower blocks that went up after came down before though.

There was a report from a new hospital in the earthquake area on tv the other night, big holes in the walls and structure.  That wasn't built to withstand an earthquake,  it may have been designed to, but its wasn't built to obviously. 

1000s of buildings in the UK are made in the same way. Mainly schools, hospitals and office blocks which have little or no one to complain after the build. Folk may moan the building is poo but not a proper complaint.

If it was a house built that way the owner would complain and eventually something might get done.

As I type this there are sites all over the UK with substandard out of spec concrete being pumped in. Nothing ever gets done about it.