Sparrow Hawk / Feral Pigeon

steve_b_wales

Twice now in the past 6 days, a Sparrow Hawk has caught a feral pigeon in our garden, and twice, my wife let our dog out to 'shoo them away'! Both pigeons escaped with a few less feathers. I have now told my wife that if this happens again, she is to let the Sparrow Hawk have it's meal. We've got at least 100 feral pigeons around our streets/houses due to an old derelict chapel not too far from my home. 

4 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Sparrowhawks are in decline right now.

Because,,,, people keep letting their dogs out to interrupt their meals !!! 🙈

Brilliant birds,,,, had a few close encounters with them while out shooting rabbits and pigeons 😀

15 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

Nature at its best Steve 👍 

Very true. The maddening fact is that my wife doesn't mind nature taking it's course and hates the feral pigeons because of the mess they are making. She's said that in future, she'll leave well alone. I was in work during the both times the Sparrow Hawk struck, and I hope if it strikes again (it should do because my neighbour two doors away feeds them!) I can witness it.

My neighbour up the road said that a hen sparrow hawk was sitting a'top he bird feeder...one of those multi hangin frames. Just hunched up absolutely motionless. She did not realise it was a hen bird until I explaoned how small the cock bird was in comparison.  She loves her birds but was not concerned and accepted that was nature in the raw.

The birds on my feeders by the house are very nervous so I am sure the hawk has swung  by a couple of times recently.  I know we have one maybe two pairs locally.

i witnessed a sparrowhawk take a blue tit off of one of my feeders in the garden i saw it about 3 gardens away what a fantastic sight it was   the hawk was flying  low and fast just skimming the fences and when it hit the blue tit just a puff of feathers and it was gone  something i will never forget 

15 hours ago, Walker570 said:

My neighbour up the road said that a hen sparrow hawk was sitting a'top he bird feeder...one of those multi hangin frames. Just hunched up absolutely motionless. She did not realise it was a hen bird until I explaoned how small the cock bird was in comparison.  She loves her birds but was not concerned and accepted that was nature in the raw.

The birds on my feeders by the house are very nervous so I am sure the hawk has swung  by a couple of times recently.  I know we have one maybe two pairs locally.

15 hours ago, nobbyathome said:

i witnessed a sparrowhawk take a blue tit off of one of my feeders in the garden i saw it about 3 gardens away what a fantastic sight it was   the hawk was flying  low and fast just skimming the fences and when it hit the blue tit just a puff of feathers and it was gone  something i will never forget 

We have similar experiences of sparrowhawks taking birds from our feeders. Spectacular sight to see when in hunting mode

2 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Yep beautiful birds but not nice when we watched one kill and eat our almost tame blackbird that had owned our garden for a number of years. He had even taught himself to fly at and bash the hanging bird feeder to release a few seeds. RIP Blacky.

That's the only sad part about it. I'm only glad that the Sparrow Hawk caught two feral pigeons and not the two Wood Pigeons who are nesting nearby.